Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cutting cam cover???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting cam cover???

I search and come up nothing...Just want to know anyone run into problem with the cam cover cut??
Old 03-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cutting cam cover??? (pkdog167)

the only problem is that it allows stuff to bounce up into your cam gears. never heard of this happening, but i guess thats why they're covered.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my valve cover and timing cover cut, only had one problem with a bolt falling in there and shredding my timing belt. Someone left either a bolt there on purpose or something, just watch your fingers when working there with your car on or make sure nothing falls down there and you should be good to go. Best bet just get a moon cut
Old 03-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H9Omega)

Ouch, that sucks dude. Well, aside from that rare occurrance, I guess I've never heard of anything bad happening with a cut belt guard. Not much gets to that part of the engine while driving.

But yeah, just to be safe, I'd say go with the moon cut into the side of the valve cover, and leave a shelf over the cam gears. My bud did that on his GSR, hasn't had any problems yet.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

why dont you just leave it??????? its not like you're showing the car is it?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spork motorsports)

lol I'm not going to do it, just wodering is there any problem lol.....so come down people, I like how my stock engine bay look.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:39 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (spork motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why dont you just leave it??????? its not like you're showing the car is it? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not to show off. Its so theres easy access to adjustable cam gears when tuning. If I didn't have a cut one, my tuner would've had to take my valve cover off 7 times just to get my car to idle.

If you cut it, I'd suggest just cutting off the "wall" (side part) so the top area where the t-belt is isn't exposed. Or you can be fancy and do moon cuts, but I don't know how easy that is.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

do it like mine....
Old 03-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MR.johnson)

I'm doing mine this week and want to do it just like that /\/\/\/\

Exactly how did you do it? Like that does the job and still looks good without making it extremly dangerous.....
Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cutting cam cover??? (Pr0ject93hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pr0ject93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only problem is that it allows stuff to bounce up into your cam gears.</TD></TR></TABLE>

like a Finger!
Old 03-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Cutting cam cover??? (Harryflores)

Why do people do this again? Oh wait: that's right! Because every bush-league retard with pretty cam gears tunes their **** from stoplight to stoplight and absolutely HAS to have access to them at a moment's notice!

Yeah. expletive that. You get them tuned on a dyno once and you leave them the expletive alone. This is a great example of introducing an element of disaster to an otherwise safe situation.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Cutting cam cover??? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do people do this again? Oh wait: that's right! Because every bush-league retard with pretty cam gears tunes their **** from stoplight to stoplight and absolutely HAS to have access to them at a moment's notice!

Yeah. expletive that. You get them tuned on a dyno once and you leave them the expletive alone. This is a great example of introducing an element of disaster to an otherwise safe situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said in my situation, not having the cam cut on my valve cover would've been a huge pain in the ***, because it took us a while to get my Pro 1s to idle right and my tuner (xeoncron) had to keep testing different settings.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do people do this again? Oh wait: that's right! Because every bush-league retard with pretty cam gears tunes their **** from stoplight to stoplight and absolutely HAS to have access to them at a moment's notice!

Yeah. expletive that. You get them tuned on a dyno once and you leave them the expletive alone. This is a great example of introducing an element of disaster to an otherwise safe situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you get your car retuned it takes 30min and not 8 hours.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Cutting cam cover??? (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like I said in my situation, not having the cam cut on my valve cover would've been a huge pain in the ***, because it took us a while to get my Pro 1s to idle right and my tuner (xeoncron) had to keep testing different settings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not saying there's utterly no purpose, but I don't think it's that big of a deal to toss a couple nuts on the valve cover between pulls to make sure I don't kick a rock into my engine at 6500rpm at the racetrack. Maybe the shop should - GASP! - keep a moon-cut valve cover on hand for tuning.

Novelty!

I &lt;3 Skoundrel. The rest of you can die.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I &lt;3 Skoundrel. The rest of you can die.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ROFLMAO

Always like reading his posts.

+1 more for the tuning shop to keep cut valve covers in stock like shops here in phx.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:58 PM

yeah, its more of a convenience factor with checking cam timing marks.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:07 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Cutting cam cover??? (ek forever guy)

yeah if they all had those valve covers that would be pretty sweet
Old 03-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa there. This is a mod that certain people do (I do not) in order to access their cam gears while tuning their cars themselves. Yes, the more hardcore mechanics do that. What my friend did wasn't anything pretty, but he really needed access to those cam gears or it would have quadrupled the time his GSR sat in the garage before it even got idling. Don't let your opinionative personality get in the way of certain reasons people may have for doing things their way, and don't go around just throwing names at people who may not deserve it. Yes, I'm coming to the defense of my friend, who knew what he was doing. You've let us know what is your opinion, thanks. I understand you're against it, but it's his car, and all we can do is give our suggestions for or against it, okay? Keep the peace, not trying to incite a flame-war. . x2 for the extra cut vc's, though

Modified by BlackoutVTi at 3:13 AM 3/5/2007
Old 03-05-2007, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cutting cam cover??? (BlackoutVTi)

^^^ There is really no reason to come to the rescue of your "friend", Archidictus gave his opinion in a respective manner. A post like this in most case would incite a flame... next time people ask for an opinion why dont they just shut the expletive up and listen to what people say? Just a thought... or dont ask for the opinion what so ever. Its like your gf asking if she looks fat, of course she looks fat, but you can't tell her because shes not prepared to hear the real answer. That and your ***** will stay in the nice wooden box for another month before she brings them out to play... true story.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not saying there's utterly no purpose, but I don't think it's that big of a deal to toss a couple nuts on the valve cover between pulls to make sure I don't kick a rock into my engine at 6500rpm at the racetrack. Maybe the shop should - GASP! - keep a moon-cut valve cover on hand for tuning.

Novelty!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd have to agree here. I'm not too big on the idea of cutting my valve cover so people can see my sparkly cam gears. Cams are tuned and then left alone until tuned again. They're not something that needs to be adjusted often, so I dont see the point. This reminds me of VAFC/SAFC'. People have them placed in their car like they're going to be using them all the time. Not the case. After it's tuned, you really won't be making too many adjustments with it.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 AM

I also agree on not cutting the cover. What is the point. "oooo, look at the cam gears and timing belt!". But that is just me.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:42 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Cutting cam cover??? (pkdog167)

If you need access to the cam sprockets for tuning, my suggestion is to pick up a cheap "beater" valve cover to cut, and then have that one installed while you're dyno-tuning. After you're finished, just switch back to your stock cover. You could even probably re-sell the cut cover once you've completed the tuning, or simply keep it for future tuning sessions.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cutting cam cover??? (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That and your ***** will stay in the nice wooden box for another month before she brings them out to play... true story. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol, its because of this line, that I see your point, hahahaha.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In cali it's illegal. If you get pulled over and your hood gets popped, a cop will send you straight to the ref.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SoCal EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In cali it's illegal. If you get pulled over and your hood gets popped, a cop will send you straight to the ref.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup even if its still stock cam gear

Quick Reply: Cutting cam cover???