Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cut a wire for gauge..radio/tach doesnt work now...fuse?..possibilities?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut a wire for gauge..radio/tach doesnt work now...fuse?..possibilities?

need some help fellas......

to start off i have a 97 ex

tonight i picked up an a/f gauge........i had an oil pressure gauge installed like 2 years ago....gauge stopped working so oil line got disconnected, but the power n ground wries stayed connected........

so tonight i figured i could just cut the wires and splice the a/f ones to it....now i had no key in the ignition...i snip the wires....after i do this i put the key in the ignition so i could listen to the radio as i continued to work...now my radio doesnt go on...wtf?!?!.....so i start my car (like it was gonna make a difference) and still nothing....now i notice my tach (autometer) isnt working, the line is just stuck at 5500.....so i shut my car off and proceed to figure this out.....

so now i'm looking at all the wires under my dash....it looks like both of the wires from the original gauge were spliced with wires from my alarm....so i take the wires from the gauge and cut them off........and do a fresh splice of the power and ground of the alarm......alarm works but still no radio and no tach.......also i tap the a/f gauge wires and it doesnt work...wtf!?!?....but when i connect the a/f wires directly to the battery it worked.....

at this point it started to rain and i have no garage and i'm a big dood so i couldnt work with the door shut.....

so i came to the conclusion taht it could just be a fuse...right?..ifa fuse is blown, whatever its powering would not work correct?....but heres the thing.....when i turn my alarm on or off, my radio llights blink with it ..what the ****?!?!?

what did i do..what can i do to fix this...how come the alarm is getting power but not the a/f gauge?

sports center version

-went to install new gauge
-cut wires from old gauge
-radio/autometer tach doesnt work now
-radio blinks with alarm, so it gets some type of power

Modified by IneedBoostInTheCoupe at 2:20 AM 1/30/2008
Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 AM

Default Re: cut a wire for gauge..radio/tach doesnt work now...fuse?..possibilities? (IneedBoostInTheCoupe)

help me out peoples
Old 01-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its looking like you just need to start from the begining and go over every wire touched.

Did you dissconnect your battery when you were working on the car?
Now, I'll try and help.
Checking the fuse would be a good choice, I didnt plug in my antenna when i first installed my Aftermarket headunit.

Recently i wanted to use the radio so i took my Radio out to plug the antenna in. (didnt dissconnect the battery) Put radio back in and no power, But it had power to Open and close the headunit face.

I thought i pulled too hard and ripped one of my Butt connectors out, So i rewired the whole thing, Still no power, After all that i checked in the manual and Boom my Radio ACC fuse was blown.
Still dont know how the fuse blew though.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 PM

Default Re: cut a wire for gauge..radio/tach doesnt work now...fuse?..possibilities? (IneedBoostInTheCoupe)

fuse was blown under the dash..thanx for the help fellas