Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cut polishing???!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut polishing???!?!?

ok just got my car painted.... prett much I didnt' spend a whoel lot and for teh most part is PERFECT.

I did notice a kinda rough spot, maybe it's a little bit of a run, or maybe some dust under the paint.... I get the car back tommorwo. what should I use to get this out?

Mind yo uthe paint is brand new, been curing for a few days now.... can I power polish this? is there a cut polish I can do? What can I do to make it like glass?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cut polishing???!?!? (daddymaxx)

when it cures a little better, i would try WET sanding it, then cutting and buffing it, polish to a showroom shine
Old 01-29-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Cut polishing???!?!? (d15nonvtec)

Please do not take this wrong....

If you do not know the correct terms for polishing, you most likely will not produce the results you want.

Again, no offense.
The surface needs to be seen in order to advise what to do, and if anything more that a low speed buffer is involved, you need to have the shop who painted it, or a deatiler fix it for you. It may be real minor, but without any polishing skills and the right tools, you can very easily make the area much worse.
Don't get me wrong, some people cxan jump right in and do a good job, but this is usually a fluke. To polish a car to a glass finish, it takes knowledge of the process and mucho skill.

I'm not bashing you, glad you feel confident enough to try it.
But.... you stand to loose more on the repair of the panel, rather than paying someone to just correct the problem. Most good shops will have that buffed before you pick it up or will correct it at no charge.

Good luck.
If you want to learn about polishing, get the correct tools, polishes, compounds, etc. and practice on something that isn't going to matter if it gets damaged.
Baby steps.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Cut polishing???!?!? (daddymaxx)

I'm with the above poster...

Also if the run is in the paint and not the clear (unless it's single stage paint) you won't get it off till you buff off ALL the clearcoat... in which case it won't match the rest of the car, and you will have effectively ruined your new paint job...

Take to a professional and ask them what they'd do... Most likely even if they tell you you'd be better off just letting them do it...

Hell point it out to the shop who's painting it now and ask them to fix it before you take it.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:31 AM

well it was a side job for HELLA cheap. the painter even told me that if there's any runs he coudl do it, but charge me more. It looked fine to me, I was just wondering in case I get runs and dust or anything.

I'm guessing there is runs because he said "if there's runs" and the car is already paitned. So he woudl know I would think.