Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cusco Catch Can - EK

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cusco Catch Can - EK

I finally got my Cusco Catch can hooked up correctly. It was originally on the valve cover breather til I learned it is mean to go between the PCV valve and intake manifold, and had to be higher then the PCV valve.

This left me little choice on where to re-install it. I saw a picture of a RHD integ with it near the clutch resivoir, so after a little unbolting and moving stuff around a little, I managed to squeeze the catch can in the same spot.

This catch can is the unversal one. I had some peices of angle brackets for shelving and found that it worked perfect after I sized the holes a little.

The photos pretty much explain it all. I moved the clutch resivoir over closer to the brake resivoir. Then moved the bracket that holds the large harness connecter closer to the fender, and cut a small peice of it off where it interfeared with the catch can bracket.

Old 09-19-2002, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cusco Catch Can - EK (tonyxcom)

Can you please let me know if there are signs of your catch can tubes crimping at all? I believe it's a very common occurence due to the heat of the engine.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Cusco Catch Can - EK (Mario)

yeah I read that, and am going to be keeping a close eye on it.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:34 PM

very nice job on rigging that....
Old 09-19-2002, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tony, looks good. Where did you buy it from? How many miles do you have on the motor now?

Byron
Old 09-19-2002, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Cusco Catch Can - EK (B_Cruz)

I got if off of ebay a while back for 110 i think.

I've got a little over 500 on the motor.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks cOO.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:03 PM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

that's some creativity right there
Old 09-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Cusco Catch Can - EK (DxHatchback)

Why does the can have to be higher then the PCV valve??

I moved my PCV valve because I felt that if you had it hooked up so vapors would go from the PCV valve to the can then to the manifold, the system would have a hard time creating enough vacuum to open the PCV valve.

So I drilled a hole in the top of the can, move the PCV valve to that location and then ran a line from the crank case can and from the valve cover to the catch can.

Take a look.

Old 09-19-2002, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cusco Catch Can - EK (MadtownSi)

sorry for the n00b question, but what does that do?
Old 09-19-2002, 07:47 PM

Why does the can have to be higher then the PCV valve??

I moved my PCV valve because I felt that if you had it hooked up so vapors would go from the PCV valve to the can then to the manifold, the system would have a hard time creating enough vacuum to open the PCV valve.

So I drilled a hole in the top of the can, move the PCV valve to that location and then ran a line from the crank case can and from the valve cover to the catch can.
I dont think it isn't always vacuum that opens the valve, rather crank case pressure.
Also, I am kinda confused about how you have yours hooked up since the catch can is supposed to go AFTER the PCV valve and BEFORE the intake manifold. Meaning there should only be an in and an out on the can.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:58 PM

hum...guys the whole reason of a catch can is to get rid of the crappy factory pcv system....u cap off the hose that goes into the intake manifold..then take all that pcv box and **** off the back of the block..then run one line from ur vavle cover to the catch can and one line from the nipple on the block where that black box was to the other connection on the catch can..this gets rid of the whole pcv system..thus it keeps oil outta ur intake trac..oil in the intake lowers the octane of ur fuel so thats why u dont want it there..especially if ur high compression..well thats my take on it anways...nice lookin engine though
Old 09-19-2002, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Cusco Catch Can - EK (jDmDxTuRd)

hum...guys the whole reason of a catch can is to get rid of the crappy factory pcv system....u cap off the hose that goes into the intake manifold..then take all that pcv box and **** off the back of the block..then run one line from ur vavle cover to the catch can and one line from the nipple on the block where that black box was to the other connection on the catch can..this gets rid of the whole pcv system..thus it keeps oil outta ur intake trac..oil in the intake lowers the octane of ur fuel so thats why u dont want it there..especially if ur high compression..well thats my take on it anways...nice lookin engine though
Um, no.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cusco Catch Can - EK (jDmDxTuRd)

No, that's incorrect. The PVC valve is there to vent crankcase pressure and route it back into the intake side of the motor. Since oil vapor is coming out of the crankcase, oil can also get sucked into the intake manifold and dirty up your motor. The catch can is there to catch the liquid portion of the oil and trap it so it does not enter the engine and burn.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cusco Catch Can - EK (mplex2000)

No, that's incorrect. The PVC valve is there to vent crankcase pressure and route it back into the intake side of the motor. Since oil vapor is coming out of the crankcase, oil can also get sucked into the intake manifold and dirty up your motor. The catch can is there to catch the liquid portion of the oil and trap it so it does not enter the engine and burn.
yup i think he got it right on the money.

i have the old cusco can, the fittings are still chrome and the hose that it came with was no collapsable. it had like a wire going thru it. now i have to find a place to reinstall it.....

krazy
Old 09-20-2002, 12:00 AM

i am confused. i thought one hose goes to the valve cover to the can and the other hose goes to the intake to the can. i am very confused on this. can someone help me out? thanks
Old 09-20-2002, 02:44 AM
Trial User

I have to disagree about the fact that the can is supposed to go AFTER the PCV valve and BEFORE the intake manifold

At one time I had my can hooked up so the PCV valve was in the factory location. I had a line running from the PCV valve to the catch can then from the catch can back to the IM. I keep the line coming off the valve cover in the same location (going into the intake).

When I had it hooked up that way I did not get very good oil separation. It just seamed to not be working very well.

When I changed it to the way I have it now it seamed to be working much better. I just can’t see how my setup could be wrong.

If you look at this diagram I have my can hooked up properly. With the additional hose coming off the valve cover.

[Modified by MadtownSi, 2:48 PM 9/20/2002]
Old 09-20-2002, 02:50 AM

Old 09-20-2002, 03:02 AM
DSC

So Madtown, you have 1 hose from the block goin to the Catch Can (where the PCV was), the hose off the block (which is supposed to go to the intake) and the final one, you drilled a hole on the top of the can and that goes to the IM?

Also, that thing ever get full?
Old 09-20-2002, 04:05 AM

I dont think it isn't always vacuum that opens the valve, rather crank case pressure.
Also, I am kinda confused about how you have yours hooked up since the catch can is supposed to go AFTER the PCV valve and BEFORE the intake manifold. Meaning there should only be an in and an out on the can.
Read the Helms manual. You specifically test the function of the PCV valve by pinching off the vacuum hose to the valve. If the valve doesn't close when you pinch the line, then the valve is screwed. If the crankcase pressure ever got high enough to open the valve, then the system isn't working properly.

As you can see from T.O.O.'s diagram, the catch can can be installed prior to the PCV valve. Does it have to be that way? No. The baffles do the job of keeping the oil particles out of the intake stream. Incidentally, the biggest job of the PCV system and the valve cover breather is ENVIRONMENTAL rather than performance. Performance cars vent the valve cover and crankcase to the atmosphere, but this is dirty to the environment. Oil particles in the intake air can cause detonation (as noted above), but in a non-high compression engine under less than full throttle are not any danger at all. These systems clean up the emissions of a car a fair amount.

Shawn
Old 09-20-2002, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Cusco Catch Can - EK (shawnhayes)

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:03 AM