Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CTR REPLICAS/COPIES vs. AUTHENTIC/ORIGINAL JAP OEM PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CTR REPLICAS/COPIES vs. AUTHENTIC/ORIGINAL JAP OEM PARTS

I've always been baffled whether the parts on most of you guys' EK9-converted USDM EJ6 cars are REPLICAS or AUTHENTIC JDM parts. To begin with, I'm currently converting my 1999 EJ6 Civic into a EK9 Type R. It already has a B16B transplant but I dont have any CTR exterior/interior mods. The thing about me is that I DONT WANT ANY FAKE-LOOKING PARTS ON MY CAR YET I DONT WANT TO SPEND ON AUTHENTIC PARTS SINCE THEY'RE TOO EXPENSIVE! I figured I would order ABS Type R front and rear lips that I KNOW A LOT OF YOU GUYS HAVE from JDMshit/JHPUSA/JDMuniverse/JDMtheory/etc. and the fitment seems good and looks just like the OEM CTR front and rear lips so I decided I would stick with the replicas

Now my questions are:
1. I have yet decided whether to get a 1999 OEM SI upper grill or a Type R replica grill. Check out this pic, the Type R replica from JDMshit compare to the original CTR upper grill: You see I'm concern that the JDMshit Type R style grill looks fake (the spaces in between the mesh are big compare to the original JDM CTR grill or is it just the picture? Does anyone have a JDMshit or anyother fake CTR grill on their car?
<--- REPLICA

<--- ORIGINAL

2. Lastly, does anyone have a replica JDMshit or any other fake CTR wing on their car? If so how does it look compare to the original CTR wing?

Sorry guys I can't search this one at all since it would've given me links to old threads with pics but how would I know if they're are fake or not Thanks for your time!
Old 07-22-2004, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you are buying cheaper parts because they are made cheaper. They will look ALMOST like the real ones but there will still be a difference. They might not last as long either but I can't prove this its just usually what happens to cheaply made parts. Its just your preference. If spending the extra money to buy real parts makes you sleep good at night then do it. If you want to actaully have money to spend on anything besides genuine parts then I would go the knock-off route. My .02
Old 07-22-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Re: (electronb16si)

Does anyone here have personal experiences with replica CTR parts?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by electronb16si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well you are buying cheaper parts because they are made cheaper. They will look ALMOST like the real ones but there will still be a difference. They might not last as long either but I can't prove this its just usually what happens to cheaply made parts. Its just your preference. If spending the extra money to buy real parts makes you sleep good at night then do it. If you want to actaully have money to spend on anything besides genuine parts then I would go the knock-off route. My .02</TD></TR></TABLE>Yes, I also want to know the quality of authentic vs. replica CTR parts from personal preferences/experience
THANKS for the reply , keep 'em coming

Modified by BrokeAssPinoy at 9:10 PM 7/22/2004
Old 07-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (BrokeAssPinoy)

Well CTR headlights for example you loss the city light option with most of the replicas. And as far as the grill or any other body part compared to OEM you will notice a difference in fitment, durability, and style. If your gonna do it, do it right. Don't take short cuts on anything you'll regret it my $.02
Old 07-22-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Dstretch33)

Get the Si, its the same thing as the ctr grill. You can also check leo at http://passwordjdm.com, he has good prices on the real ctr grill.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:06 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (powerfulperformance)

i have the JDM **** grill. if i could do it over again i'd get a real Si or CR grill.

reasons not being cuz their authentic

because

1. replicas are 1 peice, not 2
2. replicas mount but only those upper radiator support mounts and lil tabs that hook on to the bumper, its not bolted onto the bumper like the real ****. too easy to get stolen and the tabls pop out everynow and then. PITA
3. fitiment of the replica is 7 out of 10

as far as the lips, **** it i'd get replicas, unless u find a good deal on the OEM one.

theres my .02

Old 07-22-2004, 09:38 PM

OEM CTR grill = OEM SI grill so that will save you some cash and you will have OEM quality.

And CTR headlights are easy to replicate if you don't care for the city light. If you really have to have it you can just add an LED inside somewhere. I painted my OEM headlights and people always think they are real CTR's.

Old 07-22-2004, 11:07 PM
F*CK THIEVES!

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

doesnt look real.

get some amber bulbs! ha
Old 07-22-2004, 11:20 PM

I say get genuine parts when it matters like the engine/susp/brakes. but when it comes to lil things like grills/lips/wings who the hell cares.

like you've said you don't want to spend the money on the authentic stuff because they are overpriced. and whats up with this durability talk, last time i checked my grill did not have any moving parts, frictional surfaces and or did anything for that matter

its your piece of mind
Old 07-23-2004, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (racin-type)

if you want to get the ctr wing get the real one. don't wast your time with the replicas. i have gone though 3 and not a single one looked right or fit worth a damn. check ebay for the oem wings my roomate found a few good deals on them there.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:27 AM

Default Re: CTR REPLICAS/COPIES vs. AUTHENTIC/ORIGINAL JAP OEM PARTS (BrokeAssPinoy)

I THINK THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WITH REPLICAS COMPARE TO THE FACTORY GRILL IS THAT, THE REPLICAS COMES IN ONE PEICE AND THE OEM IS A TWO PEICE GRILL, LIKE THE OUTER MOLDING OF THE GRILL IS ONLY SCREW ON AND THE REPLICAS ARE JUST ONE PEICE AND TALKIN ABOUT CTR AND SI THERE IDENTICAL
Old 07-23-2004, 05:05 AM

i bought a ctr grill for my 96-98 coupe from jdm ****, i thought it was gonna be a simple bolt down install but i had to do some drilling to make the grill stay in place (unnoticeable now that the fgrill is covering it up) and also for anti-theft reason........ overall i like the look but if you do get one like that have a dremel handy to properly install it.

p.s. zip ties were my best freinds!
Old 07-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

twisted....besides the city light they dont have the deflector inside either... but they do look good...just get some amber in them
Old 07-23-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Re: (Hyjnx)

I would go with the real stuff
the fake stuff doesn't fit very well at all
pisses me off a little that theres a gap there and there...

my friend has that cheap grill...doesn't look or fit as good as my real one

as far as fake CTR lights....heres a place that sells an almost exact duplicate of them
has anyone picked up a pair....these are fake....
from soulracing.com

real ones from the same site

Old 07-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VSMHatcH)

All I can say is.. you get what you pay for

Speaking from experience, don't get the fake front lip. Fitment is horrible, it is half an inch too short, and requires custom work to get something that is already "custom fitted" to fit on your car. OEM is like plug and play..it's worth the extra money IMO. It took me like a minute or two to put the OEM lip on where as i would probably have to bring the fake lip to a shop to install. Just wait and look for local deals. You'll pay ~75 shipped for a fake lip off ebay; I paid $75 for a used OEM lip locally

edit- I forgot to mention that the fake front lip is much larger than OEM, and looks bit flashy compared to OEM.

doesn't look too bad, but is noticably larger than OEM

Modified by camelian at 9:18 PM 7/23/2004
Old 07-23-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: (camelian)

Shiettt I wish I can get an authentic lip for that price i dont even care if its used or not as long as its mint
Old 07-23-2004, 05:44 PM

Default Re: (Hyjnx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hyjnx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">twisted....besides the city light they dont have the deflector inside either... but they do look good...just get some amber in them</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ambers were put in right after I painted the headlights. I liked the superwhites before they were painted, I thought they made the inside housing look good when off. But at any rate, they are amber now.

And I believe they also don't have the reflector on the sides... I might be wrong though. I painted the back sides of the reflectors with the same paint and now you don't even notice them in there.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:20 PM

Default Re: CTR REPLICAS/COPIES vs. AUTHENTIC/ORIGINAL JAP OEM PARTS (BrokeAssPinoy)

I think the best way to go is to mix and match your replicas with the authentics....I have some authentics and some replicas and it has pretty much saved me a butt load of money.....Thats my .02!!!!!!!!