Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cruise control with aftermarket wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control with aftermarket wheel?

I know, most of you probably see this as dumb. But I do occasionally drive my car on long trips, and hell, I hooked up my cruise control after my swap for a reason.

I just had the offer posed to me to buy a genuine Momo steering wheel and hub for an EG for a damn good price, and I just can't pass it up. But truth is, I REALLY want to keep my cruise control. Anyone have any suggestions as to what switches/buttons to use, mounting points, wiring advice, etc. anything you wanna throw out, I'll listen. Thanks!

-Ian
Old 08-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (Speed Kills)

ive got a very good feeling u havent been in an accident, and when u do and ur holding ur nose in ur hands, trust me u wont be thinkin "damn my steering wheel looks nice". keep the stocker or get an ITR steering wheel. my .02
Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (VTECommie)

good advice!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest mounting the buttons somewhere else. I'm sure you have a couple open (optional) panels.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a very good thread here... can't seem to find it right now but it clearly describes and shows pics of exactly how to create your own Cruise control button set up with help from a few small round toggle switches from Radio Shack. Everything basicly taps into your SRS harness located within your steering colum. It's the yellow harness that you unplug when replacing the factory steering wheel with an aftermarket version.
I know for a fact that pin #6 activates your horn.

I'll try and find the informative thread...
Old 08-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (JEM MotorSports)

This pic was found here on HT. I can not seem to find the thread though... @?#!!
The pic and thread show how this person made use of two small momentary buttons (seen in pic) to opperate his cruise control features.

Here's a thread which I shared my two cents on regarding the horn feature. The pics have helped many because they email me afterwards saying thanx.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1485735
Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (VTECommie)

To Vtecommie, what a worthless post. If I remember correctly, I did not ask "I'm getting an aftermarket steering wheel, who wants to lecture me about accident safety?" Cars have seat belts for a reason, and it's my decision. I did not ask for an opinion on what I should or should not buy to appease you, nor do I feel the need to pay $500 for a steering wheel. So, thanks, I guess?

JEM MotorSports, if you can find out which wires I need to tap into for the switches, That'd be excellent. I've found a spot to mount the two momentary switches I have, so I'm ready to go. I'm sure a few days without won't kill me, but I'd like to get it hooked back up ASAP.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As for the steering wheel in an accident question. MOMO is one of the few manufacturers that design their hubs to collapse in the event of an accident.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Semper Fidelis

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (rbjeepthing)

Bump, I am also wanting to do this, I have an NRG and want cruise for when I go on road trips.

As far as the accident thing goes, **** happens. Hell most Honda's air bags don't deploy anyway. I have the NRG because it looks better, and as Honda's are on the thieves top stolen list, I want something that is a little harder to steal.

To the OP...my buddy supposedly has a way to do this, if he gets mine done before you get yours, then I will let you know how we did it. Hell I will post up a "How to write up"
Old 08-28-2006, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (SlammedDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlammedDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bump, I am also wanting to do this, I have an NRG and want cruise for when I go on road trips.

As far as the accident thing goes, **** happens. Hell most Honda's air bags don't deploy anyway. I have the NRG because it looks better, and as Honda's are on the thieves top stolen list, I want something that is a little harder to steal.

To the OP...my buddy supposedly has a way to do this, if he gets mine done before you get yours, then I will let you know how we did it. Hell I will post up a "How to write up"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks a ton man! I'll let you know how it goes if I can figure something out. Im going to be installing my wheels after the car gets an alignment this week, so hopefully I can get something figured out.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ehh dont forget cruise control can create poor and unsafe driving habits. You could be more likely to fall asleep or dose off during long trips with cruise control on, so don't be too upset if you can't keep it.

Yes it is possible to wire it up without a stock steering wheel.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (rbjeepthing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rbjeepthing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the steering wheel in an accident question. MOMO is one of the few manufacturers that design their hubs to collapse in the event of an accident.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Byebye airbaig, hello whiplash.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Semper Fidelis

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (SoCal EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deckster333 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ehh dont forget cruise control can create poor and unsafe driving habits. You could be more likely to fall asleep or dose off during long trips with cruise control on, so don't be too upset if you can't keep it.

Yes it is possible to wire it up without a stock steering wheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have fallen asleep with and without cruise control. As far as poor and unsafe driving habits, well next time your sitting at a red light and the other people around you are turning, passing, etc. count how many of them are on the cell phone, eating, reading, putting on make up, whatever. That is an unsafe driving habit. Cell phones biggest of all because everybody has one, and most people can't wait 10 minutes till they get home to call someone and ask "what are you doing?"
Old 08-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (SlammedDC2)

http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm

try this.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (crazyxzer0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyxzer0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm
try this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^you found it!!! great job!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cruise control with aftermarket wheel? (crazyxzer0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyxzer0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm

try this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome! Thanks a TON! That will really help out.