Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crower stands up to their reputation...They take the cake for outstanding service...PICS inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crower stands up to their reputation...They take the cake for outstanding service...PICS inside

I was really looking at getting a crower cam, but I think that I'm going to wait for someone else now. yes, its good that they replaced the cam, valves and retainers, but this whole thing still seems unacceptable. The guy had to pull the head and take it to them so that they could see with their own eyes that it wasn't due to a faulty install. That seems pretty unacceptable to me.

Guess that I'll keep looking at skunk2 and zex...
Old 03-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crower stands up to their reputation...They take the cake for outstanding service...PICS inside

I asked the same Q to Dustin

There's where you went wrong - asking a company rep why cams break in the first place. It's his job to cover their own asses or he'd lose his job.

he replied that many times faulty install is to blame

So he said "most" and not all, meaning that some cams break on their own accord?

Or that some people choose not to use upgraded valvesprings/retainers.

Oh so let's see, thus far it is some break from install error while others break now from not upgrading valvetrain - that's possible I suppose.

His answer to my question regarding breakage was that on some of the first grinds, the cams were just too aggressive, causing valve float, and as a result breakage has to happen.

That's the best line to feed someone to make them feel better. "Our older ones that could still be in circulation (to make excuses for ones bought and broken two years after they began production) were more brittle, had funny grinds, etc."

In my friend's case the cams were installed with new valvetrain, ti-retainers, and all done by a master mechanic for Toyota who was very familiar with Hondas as well.

Once the archives open back up I will be sure to post the pics of the demolished head, valves, and pistons thanks to Crower glass cams.
I agree with your statements...You're right. But, I have to think positivly and hope things work to my advantage. That's all I got...I will utilize the new products that I have been given, and we will see the outcome. I'm optomistic about the situation
Old 03-25-2003, 10:21 AM
New User

Old 03-25-2003, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why did the cam break in the first place?
dont quote me...buttttt...

someone did a writeup on this lately, although the search will not yield any useful results. The reasons the cams break is because those who use them do not switch the lost motion assemblies to compensate for the larger lobes on the cam. This can be confusing because although the lift is the same, the diameter is not and this leads to the cams getting all hemmed up on the LMAs.

Did that make any sense? Ill draw the same pic I saw eariler, it helped a lot.

Does this help at all? Althgouh grossly exxegerated, it illustrates my point.

The vertical dark black lines are supposed to be equal to each other, but the larger diameter cam on the right sits higher.

Sorry if I cant explain this in better words, I fear I will only confuse you more if I mix up definitions.

[Modified by B18EG6, 4:14 PM 3/25/2003]
Old 03-25-2003, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Although this has been a topic of conversation lately, I utilize ITR LMA's, so that does'nt seem to have been the problem here...Just poor workmanship, that's all.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^
^
^
Old 05-25-2003, 06:43 PM

well i just put crowers in my b16a about a month ago. well the guy befor me put like 2000km on them and then since then i have put about 2000km on them.
i had a honda tech put them and done to spec's. i have had noooo probs with them.

Do u think ill have any probs with them or does it only happen during break in???
Old 05-25-2003, 06:45 PM
TnEG2

crazy cam! motor cool?