Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cross Drilled and slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Drilled and slotted rotors

Will these make a noticable difference in braking? I am currently running stock SiR calipers. Just wondering if this mod is worth while...

Thanks
Old 02-18-2003, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (B16A2-EM1)

Nope, not a noticable difference.

slotted does a little, but very minimal difference. as for cross drilled, that may decrease the life of brake pads by little bit as well.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:47 PM

if you can't find a good answer here...check the auto x forum...

From what i understand, those guys just run autozone blanks....
Old 02-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (poison)

Nope, not a noticable difference.

slotted does a little, but very minimal difference. as for cross drilled, that may decrease the life of brake pads by little bit as well.
hmm, interesting cuz my dad's s430 comes with cross drilled rotors.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (degooser)

Isn't the point of slotted and crossdrilled rotors for cooling only?

Also what causes this?? I know obviosly heat, but are these racing brakes made of a different material?

Old 02-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

those are carbon brakes
Old 02-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (Spoon Hybrid)

those are carbon brakes
Can you get those for a Civic?
Old 02-18-2003, 06:54 PM

yes they are made a little differently. they mainly allow for hardcore endurance (circuit, F1 or auto-x) racing allowing the brake pads (usually carbon metallic pads) to cool off faster than regular brake pads.

with daily driving and such, you will not notice much difference, but if you race a lot (auto-x and such) you may notice a little more that your pads aren't so 'squishy' as fast.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (poison)

You couldnt use those brakes (from the F1) on the street if you were paid. They need to be warmed up to a certain temperature to even be effective. I had cross-drilled rotors on my integra (powerstop/brembo), the braking for the street was ok, but after a few hard brakes they faded just the same as the stock ones. I wouldnt use them on the track, for the street they're ok, but not that much.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:23 PM
i HAVEtheADVANtage

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (KOALA YUMMIES)

people get slotted and crossed drilled big brake kits for show...someone told me they get worped quicker and easier...they arent for better braking...just better cooling...better braking comes from calipers and the material and your pads
Old 02-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (i've_got_the_ADVANtage)

Arright, cross drilled and slotted brakes are designed to keep the pads and the rotor cooler than a stock setup. This brake system is alot better than a stock braking system but it has its disadvantages. In my experience, slotted rotors work the best for brake cooling purposes but the disadvantage is that there is less surface for the pads to press on to stop the wheel. They do seem to work alot better than a stock setup when matched up to the proper calliper and pads. As far as the cross drilled rotors, it performs the same but I have seen that these rotors have more problems than slotted rotors because I have seen people who have these kinds of show me drill holes that are starting to spider crack. So basicly, these rotors are more prone to cracking. In my opinion, I say if your building for a daily driver, good flat surface rotors and brake pads (I heard green stuff was really good) is the best way to go. If you are doing the race/auto-x thing, go with the slotted or cross drilled but have money to replace rotors and other brake components. Hope that helps. By the way, anyone with more insight about this topic who sees something wrong in what I said, feel free to point it out.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:13 PM
DMF

Cross drilled rotors really are not nec. anymore. They were created when pads use to put out a lot of gas when the wore. Pads have come a long ways from a technological stand point. They do not really have much out gas anymore. The holes were used so the gas would have somewhere to go and not impead on the breaking surface. Other than that they help keep the brakes cooler, but nothing you would need unless tracking your car. So no I would not say you need them, unless you feel the urge to purchase a set from me.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (DMF)

The Ferrari Enzo comes with carbon brakes. Imagine what those cost???
Old 02-18-2003, 08:26 PM
New User

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (t0p_sh0tta)

ONE WORd....... go stock and you'll be fine.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:31 PM
DMF

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (SleeperEG6)

Oh yeah, I have the Auto-zona blanks and auto-x almost every weekend and don't have any problems. We will have to see how they go at the track day this weekend
Old 02-18-2003, 08:32 PM
DMF

ONE WORd....... go stock and you'll be fine.
Not sure if you noticed, but that was a lot more than one word
Old 02-18-2003, 08:33 PM

Just wanted to add, that I have used the EBC Green Stuff on my stock rotors, they worked great but I had to resurface my rotors about every 4-5 months. I think that they build up alot of heat when you are hard on the brakes and as a result the rotors warped. I would either go with a different make of brake pads, like the Axxis Metal masters or go with a slotted or crosse drilled rotor to dissipate the heat, if you are using the EBC brake shoes.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have brembos cross driilled and slotted with aem brake pad... let me tell they top on a dime
Old 02-18-2003, 09:51 PM

Like everyone else said, cross drilled and slotted are great for simply keeping your brakes cool and cooler brakes work more efficiently than hot brakes. The drawback with them is that you cannot resurface them. If/when they get warped, you have to replace them-- this will result in a high price overall.

My brake setup consists of Brembo cross drilled/slotted rotors, AEM brake pads, and Goodridge stainless steel braided lines. I am very happy with my setup and personally, replacing my rotors is well worth the money for overall better stopping power. I mean, how often do you really replace or resurface your rotors?? Hope this helps
Old 02-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (Maverick77)

Cross drilled / slotted rotors are for bling blingin, plain and simple, in this day and age there's really no need for this setup, modern brake rotors cool more efficiently than they did back in the days. If you want good braking, just stick to a full faced rotor (brembo blanks, autozone rotors, stock) and use some good pads (axxis, hawk, etc.. stay away from EBC )

if you have time, read this whole thread
http://corner-carvers.com/altimathread.php.html
you'll learn alot about brakes

[Modified by SlicedBread, 7:38 AM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-18-2003, 10:57 PM
crs

ive also heard cross drilled rotors crack at the outer most holes or probably at any of them. so if you were to make an upgrade, just get slotted. on the street, i dont see how you can notice a difference with 45mph stops and such unless you run from the cops all day. then you will need superior braking power to stay on the gas longer and cut your braking time down. then you will have a clear advantage.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:12 AM

people get slotted and crossed drilled big brake kits for show...someone told me they get worped quicker and easier...they arent for better braking...just better cooling...better braking comes from calipers and the material and your pads
wth....first of all...people dont get them just for show...yes they are for better braking
slotted increases the friction to improve the braking
crossed drilled improves the cooling of the components for extended uses
bigger brakes = bigger pads = better braking and less pad wear

Old 02-19-2003, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (EH2-LS-TURBO)

wth....first of all...people dont get them just for show...yes they are for better braking
slotted increases the friction to improve the braking
crossed drilled improves the cooling of the components for extended uses
bigger brakes = bigger pads = better braking and less pad wear
Cross Drilling does not keep the brakes any cooler, in fact they may run hotter and are prone to failed becuase you have removed material from the rotor, as someone else stated the crossdrilling was there to help when pads out gassed every time they got hot. Yes Porsches and other makes come from the factory with cross drilled and slotted rotrs, in some cases those are cermaic rotors, also those rotors are cast with the holes or slots in them not drilled our cut out like powerslots, or cross drilled brembo's.
Here is a pic of Porsche 959 rotor, this was before the came out with ceramic rotors

And some data to back up my claimes on these pages.

http://www.teamscr.com/grmbrakes.htm
http://www.teamscr.com/rotors.htm

And few Quotes from brake Manufactures

Wilwood:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Why are some rotors drilled or slotted?
A: Rotors are drilled to reduce rotating weight, an issue near and dear to racers searching for ways to minimize unsprung weight. Drilling diminishes a rotor's durability and cooling capacity.

More from Wilwood:
Slots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to "glazing" and the slots tended to help "scrape or de-glaze" them. Drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood has a large selection of drilled and slotted rotors for a wide range of applications.

So in the end save your money by brembo blanks or autozone rotors a lot of rad racers use those and they have no problems with them.

Old 02-19-2003, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors

good info bump to all who shared opinions
Old 02-19-2003, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors (DMS Racing)

. When the brake pad contacts the rotor and heats up it creates three things: Heat, Dust, and Gas... These are reason for "BRAKE FADE" As the pad heats it creates more gas
Most modern brake pads do not create gas when they heat up anymore. When you break in a mondern brake pad it outgass once, and should never do it again. Brake Fade can be combated by having better braking fluid, remvoing heat shields and running brake ducts. Cross Drilled rotors for some reason have better pedal feel, which I noticed when I had them on my car. (they have since went away) and once again, cross drilling does nothing for cooling, in fact it reduces the amount of material advialbe to dissapate heat.

When I had my car on track @ lowes motor speedway I had standard dot 3 fulid in the car, and I noticed a lot of brake fade. After that I flushed all the fluid and put Valvoline DOT 4 Syntech, when to VIR a noticed Minamual fade with my brakes. My setup is OEM Brembo's, axxis ultimate pads, and no heat shields on my front brakes.

[Modified by Solracer, 3:39 PM 2/19/2003]

Quick Reply: Cross Drilled and slotted rotors