Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crazyness .. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazyness .. HELP

Ok JDM d16A .. Driving to Ga for the day .. everything is goin good .. I go to pass someone .. didnt even down shift just mashed the gas a little harder .. i was crusin at about 75 i pass this car doing about 80 hear a LOUD POP smell rubber etc then the car starts running like *** dove it like that for about 4miles to the next exit..

Pulled over at a el cheap o gas station notice a dent in the hood.. pop it up and this is what I see

the spark plug from cyl 4 looks like this and was actually thrown from the head into the hood making a huge dent.. I thought I might have also thrown a rod blown a head gasket so I turned it over and it started back up .. so I had to wait about 2 hrs for someone to come get me and take me to get plugs and wires .. only the one was fukked but I got a whole new set of NGKs and some wires because some auto lites were in there or something .. after i changed the plugs .. it wont start at all just turn on .. .

now just to make sure .. cyl # goes from 1-4 on the head starting at the timing belt
so 4321 and the dizzy firing order is 1 starting at the one with the letter then going counter clock wise 2 4 3 ??

I just need to recheck everything I had to leave the car in GA and get a tow dolly in the morning and go pick it up if its still there . because we tried to flat tow it from savannah to Jacksonville.. but about 1/2 way the breaks gave out tryn to keep the line tight and a 2 lane road turned into a 1 lane road and someone tried to cut in between us and i have to move so I wouldn't die i ended up in the other lane in on coming traffic next to the truck that was pulling me with no ps breaks or head lights .. at 7pm in the dark.. I managed to steer the car to a ditch where I left it ... I need to get it running asap so I can get back to work.. any info or what caused this how to prevent it .. or most importantly fix it .. is greatly appreciated

a suggestion has been made it might have something to do with the dizzy to replace that but id like to know before i start wasting money on parts I don't need..

Thanks

MIKE

Last edited by mikehawk; 01-04-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Crazyness .. HELP

i cant belive the plug popped out of the head.
you may have messed up the head.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM

I won't know more for a bit a mechanic friend of mine think It was just a defective plug idk but my junk is busted
Old 01-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehawk
I won't know more for a bit a mechanic friend of mine think It was just a defective plug idk but my junk is busted
a defective plug
i doubt it
that crap came out thats not a defective plug lol
somebody screwed up big time
Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 PM

it was actually cracked where it threads into the head so its possible
Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 AM

Bump need some help gettin this beast runnin
Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 AM

ttt
Old 01-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

done a compression test yet?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM

only one cylinder was effected.. it would still run on 3 just like ***
Old 01-05-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lee0149
done a compression test yet?
Originally Posted by mikehawk
only one cylinder was effected.. it would still run on 3 just like ***
are you answering lee's question? lol

have you checked the compression on all 4 cylinders to make sure that the motor is still healthy?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:57 PM

gonna go rent a compression test.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:02 PM

Your the second person I've seen this happen too, I don't know what causes this. From the looks of it, it looks like the threads got stuck in the head. just take it out, somehow, and put a new sparkplug in.

Is your motor built? in any way internally?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:04 PM

not that i know of i bought it with that motor in it .. d16A I got the plug out and put a new one in and replaced the wire that was burned up but now it wont crank.. the battery is dead now from bein flat towed home over 130 miles before i almost died. so its on the charger now so when its good i can try to crank it again.. im gonna regap the plugs check the wires and firing order and do a compression check and go from there.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 AM

The motor has compression. No spark we ran a test light straight to the coil nothin.. i bought what I thought was a stock dizzy turns out its a d15 non vtec.. a friend of mine said i could swap guts and i'll be good to go.. sent them to work with my mechanic room mate hes gonna do that slap the dizzy one and let me know i have some towing pics up in a bit
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 AM

this was the first attempt to flat tow it from savannah..Ga to jacksonville.. fl .. made it to woodbine about 20miles from the fl line before my brakes gave out and someone cut in between us and sent me into on coming traffic

back up day 2

GOOOOOO VAN GOOOOO

there was a dump truck in front of us loaded with sand this chick was getting pelted ..

made it home
Old 01-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got a car in the shop right now where the porcelien broke loose from the metal (looks just like yours), it happens from time to time.....I can see from the first picture that is what happened to the plug.....just replace the plugs and you'll be fine.....for everyone else telling you otherwise they dont know what the hell they are talking about.....the car I have in the shop had an oil leak into the plug holes, and the defective plug actually ignited the oil....causing a fire...Ill post pics tonight
Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 AM

Yeah thats why we took that SNAP ON camera tool my buddy has and checked out the piston and the cyclinder walls to make sure nothing got in there and bounced around.. If he brings it home again I'll take some pics of the inside of my motor coolest tool ever lol he said I could have one for $20 a week for the next 20 weeks lol.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah Ive been toying around with getting that, but I dont have the need for it that often and its a 400$ tool
Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, double check your firing order, sounds like you got something in the wrong place....the car does crank and crank and crank now tho' right?

BTW, it's illegal as hell to do that "flat tow"ing here in TN. I can't believe you were doing that down the interstate!!!! WoW!

edit: I just noticed that you're pulling your car with an Odessey! Honda FTW!!! =P
Old 01-07-2009, 11:27 AM

yeah honda to the rescue lol . its illegal to do it here too i didnt have any other option at that point. It cranks now not getting spark from the coil .. replacing the guts of the dizzy ignitor etc and will know tonight if it works when I get off.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That sux, must've shorted the coil out when the guts of the wire was showing. What did those peeps do that cut you off and hit the tow strap in between you and the truck?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Yeah sent me into a ditch after I passed the truck that was pulling me and when I ran out of tow strap it snatched me toward both trucks and I drove into on coming traffic into the ditch.. no ps or breaks or headlights it was about 8pm
Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It probably wasnt screwed in all the way. Dont see why its not getting spark now, unless that wire grounded where it shouldnt have a ****ed your dizzy or ecu up. Try another dizzy and/or ecu
Old 01-07-2009, 02:42 PM

have my buddy workin on that now im at work til almost 10pm hes checkin in to it i should know more by the time i get home.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:46 PM

i'm thinking the plug wasn't tight enough to the head? or did the threads actually stay in the head?

Quick Reply: Crazyness .. HELP