Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crazy Electrical Problem! Help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Electrical Problem! Help please

Okay, so My car never had any of these problems, it happened out of nowhere. The only problem I had before this was that sometimes my idle hunts like the IAC valve was disconnected. throwing code 14.

I was driving home in the rain when all of a sudden My wipers started swiping Alot slower, and each time they swiped, my RPM gauge and Speedometer Guage go to 0. I noticed my clusters lights seemed dimmer, Then my rpm and speedometer gauge stayed at 0.
When I tried turning off my car and crank it back on, It had a harder time cranking, I never had a problem with this. But it did eventually turn on.

I have a feeling My battery or my alternator is done. Could it also be my IACV also? Because my Idle is really off and I heard the IACV control the electrical load and compensates for what its giving off.

I have school tommorow and My car started messing really bad just tonight out of nowhere. None of these problems ever happened, just tonight.
what should I do??
Old 11-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crazy Electrical Problem! Help please

Okay this is realllly reallllly weirdd.... I just got off the phone with my friend he said water could of got into my dizzy and it could mess up idle, and starting the car.

Whats reallly weird is when I got home and turned off the car and turned it back on it had a really hard time cranking, just like My battery was dead. I tried to crank it several times and it does turn on, but it had a hard time as if I had low battery.

I disconnected my battery for about 5 minutes, put it back and every seemed like it was normal again??? wt heck?? I thought my battery and/or alternator was going out. After resetting my ECU it seemed normal again? how did resetting the ecu, alowed me to crank my car on alot faster??

I'm soo confused on pin pointing the culprit, because I seriously never had these problems before, I mean I did drive on the freeway before in the rain for about 30 minutes. But how could rain make my Wipers wipe really slow in full speed, make my cluster light dim, make my rpm and speed gauge go back and forth as if the speed sensor was broken, and then make them both stay at 0, and make my car seem like it had low battery??

please help honda gods..
Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is crazy wierd, u don't have a busted or cracked window or windshield or the ecu have gotten wet?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope, I put my kick panel back after pinning my ecu to checxk CEL code. this morning which was code 14 IACV... this is so mysterious.. i guess I should get a multi-meter since it would help me check my battery alternator and IACV..
Old 11-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Clean and tighten the battery connectors and the battery ground wire attached to the engine bay.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a bad alternator to me. after a while of it not working it'll drain your battery eventually leaving you without any power. I'd check the alternator and probably charge your battery (or jump it) to rule that out

also, running your wipers uses just that much more juice and maybe your headlights were on or something, if your alternator was about to go, possibly running extra accessories just killed your stuff.

Last edited by obuhmyuh; 11-12-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would do what RonJ said and buy a multimeter and check things, it's always good to have a meter anyway.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok will do, its so weird because Im not mechanically stupid, I did some jobs before like oil pan gasket, watched friends do motor swap.
whats really confusing is when my car was messing up, it had a hard time starting just like a low battery symptom, I take out the main battery fuse under the hood, for 5 minutes and everything is back to normal...
making me think it could be ecu?? but how?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the ecu don't have anything to do with the charging system really and I sure can't think of anything that the ecu controls that would put a drain on ur system like that with the car still running.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why are you still asking people advice, when others have given you good advice and you havent followed it.

if i were you, i'd follow the advice you asked for. Changing oil pan gaskets and swapping motors are easy as long as you follow step-by-step directions (even if you are just watching) , what you need to do is troubleshoot your problem. starting with your battery/alternator, but that's just me.

IDK what's up with your code 14, but I've seen that code before and had nothing wrong with my IACV or my ECU. If theres insufficient juice to the ECU, i wouldn't expect it to do what it's supposed to.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic_r87111
I would do what RonJ said and buy a multimeter and check things, it's always good to have a meter anyway.
altough i agree a multimeter is always good to have, what exactly is he checking for? besides that his battery has enough juice to start? last I checked your car will start even w/out the IACV plugged in (almost all of the time with a code 14)...
Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by obuhmyuh
why are you still asking people advice, when others have given you good advice and you havent followed it.

if i were you, i'd follow the advice you asked for. Changing oil pan gaskets and swapping motors are easy as long as you follow step-by-step directions (even if you are just watching) , what you need to do is troubleshoot your problem. starting with your battery/alternator, but that's just me.

IDK what's up with your code 14, but I've seen that code before and had nothing wrong with my IACV or my ECU. If theres insufficient juice to the ECU, i wouldn't expect it to do what it's supposed to.
Originally Posted by civic_r87111
No disrespect RonJ ur a great tech.

but what are you guys talking about I already suggested to my self to buy a multimeter, look at my 3rd post. If you want to flame me at least find a good reason. I was asking for help because I wanted to know how and if my alternator could affect my rpm and speed gauge.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dth0ng69
No disrespect RonJ ur a great tech.

but what are you guys talking about I already suggested to my self to buy a multimeter, look at my 3rd post. If you want to flame me at least find a good reason. I was asking for help because I wanted to know how and if my alternator could affect my rpm and speed gauge.
i also agreed, if you read my post correctly, im not flaming you. i have a mutlimeter and agreed you should have one. however going out and spending money on a multimeter shouldnt be your first concern especially when places do alternator and battery checks for free. im not trying to be a dick, but you asked for help and are not even reading it correctly.