Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crank Pulley Bolt will NOT come off

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i torched it, and nothing..

what if i just left the key down in there. would it eventually sheer my timing belt off?
Old 10-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (spooncivic1)

what have you tried so far?
Old 10-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

did you try it with a gnarly breaker bar yet?
like i mean at least 4feet long,
lock the flywheel somehow(i'd probly hook a really long wrench of some sort to it, so the handle of it hits the ground).

then on the other end, use a 1/2" socket attached to a massive breaker bar,
JUMP UP AND DOWN ON IT, have a buddy hold the engine steady so it doesnt tip over or anything. something will break, either the bolt will break FREE, or the socket will break.
and 1/2" are tough!
thats what I used,
demolished a 3/8" and the 1/2" held no prob.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

btw where are you located,

cold area? lots of snow, ice?
Old 10-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Art In Motion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what have you tried so far?</TD></TR></TABLE>

impact gun, i think it is just tooo weak

torched it and then impact gun

i tried to lock the flywheel with something, but i couldn't lock it and turn it with a wrench

i don't have a breaker bar or anything. and i dont have anything to lock the flywheel with while i stand on my torque wrench

this motor has given me sooo much trouble lately
Old 10-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw where are you located,

cold area? lots of snow, ice?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the motor came from penn. it had a severly blown headgasket. which i just replaced. but it is sitting in my garage at about 70degrees.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to hear man...get some help, i recommend what i did, a big pipe laying around will give you some huge torque, and just stick to screwdrivers or some type of bar through the bottom holes of the flywheel on eitherside so it locks it to the block, or do what the guy with that pic did
Old 10-01-2004, 02:00 PM

Seriously, main pully holder or impact gun. You're just going to mess something else up with the other ways.

I've gotten some really nasty "northern-seized on for 180k miles" bolts off with an impact gun. Trick is to make sure you're not using any extensions on it. Just a single 17mm deep impact socket. Spray some PB Blaster on it first too.

Worst case, go borrow/buy a better gun from someone. I use (and love) this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/c...46085

Old 10-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but the tranny is still attached
Old 10-01-2004, 02:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but the tranny is still attached </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just take the access plate off the bottom if you want to jam something in the flywheel. Or the starter.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the motor actually in the car?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ALLMOTOR18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ALLMOTOR18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, Honda turn counterclockwise so you will be making the bolt tighter instead of loosening it.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with allmotor18 definitely turns the wrong way. i tried this and made the bitch tighter not realising that it was tightening. i took an impact socket and a 3 foot pole to get it off. took about 5 seconds too. it sounded like something broke but i was happy as ****. gotta stick something in the flywheel though. i would lean the motor and get the clutch cover off then work from there.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you torch the bolt it will expand and you'll never get it off. this only works for nuts not bolts most of the time. heat=expansion.

why don't you just take it to a shop and have them get it off real quick.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Re: (brixity)

heat = shrink, cold = expand. That's why your soda explodes in the freezer.

the engine's out of the car. he mentioned that somewhere.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (project_mercy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project_mercy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heat = shrink, cold = expand. That's why your soda explodes in the freezer.

the engine's out of the car. he mentioned that somewhere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry buddy but i got an A in physics...

THE EFFECTS OF HEAT
Heat causes solid objects to expand.
That is why they have gaps in railway lines and bridges to allow for summertime temperatures.

soda explodes because it transforms from a liquid to a solid. do ur research.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

the handle from one of those big floor jacks works great.

thats what I use, they're like 4.5 feet long, and fit perfectly over your wrench, then even have rubber handles!
Old 10-01-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Re: (brixity)

well good to know. I learn something every day.

Why don't you go transform his pully bolt from on to off.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project_mercy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well good to know. I learn something every day.

Why don't you go transform his pully bolt from on to off.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

if i could i would and i would have done it to mine when i took it off. i was frustrated for about 2 weeks trying to get that bitch off. pulley bolt
Old 10-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I made my own pulley holder. I ground down the edges of a chunk of steel to match the hex shape of the inside of the crank pulley, welded an extension to it and drilled a hole through the center. Now I can secure the pulley against the ground, car, whatever and use a breaker bar on the bolt. Ths took at least two hours, but works great if you have the tools.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: (riversideguy)

Nice. I tried to make one before I went and ordered the one from summit (which is nice, btw).

Nice segway, since I already had the heat/cold fiasco:

It's basically a 50mm nut with a long bar on it. So Saturday, I went to a busy hardware store and tried to find it. They didn't have anything nearly that big. One of the store workers came up and asked me if I needed anything.

And, figuring given my context I wouldn't have to explain further, I'm like "Yeah man, I'm looking for some REALLY BIG nuts. Do ya have big nuts?" He looked at me uncomfortably, and at that point I looked around at the mob of people staring at me, and realized what I'd just said. So I quickly said "You know, like 50mm nuts. Like the size of my fist, like for a truck axle or something"

They didn't. I got out of there quickly.

From then on, I decided driving around town looking for "big nuts" just wasn't going to work, and I'd buy the tool.

Old 10-01-2004, 03:07 PM

spray some pb blaster. let it sit. take ur impact gun, set it to high torque. set it counter clock-wise, try for a couple of seconds, switch direction, then couple of seconds. repeat the process till it loosens. it's always worked for me!
Old 10-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver17981)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver17981 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spray some pb blaster. let it sit. take ur impact gun, set it to high torque. set it counter clock-wise, try for a couple of seconds, switch direction, then couple of seconds. repeat the process till it loosens. it's always worked for me!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i done that exact thing, didn't work....

and the whole swap is sitting on my garage floor. so no access to the flywheel cover.

what do you do if the imput shaft is stuck inside the engine? thats the only thing that prevented the tranny from coming off

crank pulley bolt
Old 10-01-2004, 03:34 PM

i had the same problem, what i did was i took my moms tahoe and rigged up a little system as to where i could use the tahoe to pull it off. The engine was in the car though. Came off as soon is i threw that 5.7L 350 block in reverse
Old 10-01-2004, 03:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and the whole swap is sitting on my garage floor. so no access to the flywheel cover.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

How'd you get it out of the car? (or, how do you plan on putting it in? Submarine it?)

If you don't have a method for raising it, get a come-along from your local home depot, throw one end over a rafter in your garage, and crank it up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what do you do if the imput shaft is stuck inside the engine? thats the only thing that prevented the tranny from coming off
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This drivetrain sounds like a basketcase.

Everytime I thought my trani was stuck, it turned out I didn't remove some necessary bolt. You have to remove the starter, all the trani bolts, and the access panel/clutch cover from the bottom of it. If you can't get to the bottom of the engine, I'm not sure how you removed that. Which goes back to the come-along above.

I use those to raise the front of my motorcycles because I'm too cheap to buy a front-stand. to come-alongs.

Old 10-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project_mercy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How'd you get it out of the car? (or, how do you plan on putting it in? Submarine it?)

If you don't have a method for raising it, get a come-along from your local home depot, throw one end over a rafter in your garage, and crank it up.

This drivetrain sounds like a basketcase.

Everytime I thought my trani was stuck, it turned out I didn't remove some necessary bolt. You have to remove the starter, all the trani bolts, and the access panel/clutch cover from the bottom of it. If you can't get to the bottom of the engine, I'm not sure how you removed that. Which goes back to the come-along above.

I use those to raise the front of my motorcycles because I'm too cheap to buy a front-stand. to come-alongs.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a engine hoist that i used to put it there. but it was on the floor when i tried to remove it. but i did nothing to the clutch cover in the bottom??

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Bolt will NOT come off