Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Couple of Questions for a new Honda owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Questions for a new Honda owner

Hi,
I have a few more questions about the project that I bought. As of right now I have a EG hatch which has a LS non-vtech swap in it. The Previous owner bent a rod due to a oil leak and wrong ecu. Right now what I have is a EG with the LS engine and tranny out of the car and the head off from the engine since it had to go to the engine shop to get the head resurfaced.
My goal for this car is to eventually add a mild turbo kit to this car which would put it in the 250-300rwhp range, without spending unnecessary money on unnecessary things.
What I would like to know what should I replace/upgrade which the car is apart?
Which gaskets should I change besides HG?
Should I replace any of the bolts with ARP's for my power goal?
Also, the car had the front two seats stolen out of them since they were type-r's, whats a good cheap replacement?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Couple of Questions for a new Honda owner (bimmeracer)

search bro
Old 07-15-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Couple of Questions for a new Honda owner (sp00nek9)

thanks
Im trying, but the search function on this site isnt the best.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bimmeracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">250-300rwhp range</TD></TR></TABLE>

man thats gonna be hard to get rear wheel horsepower out of your FWD hahaha

sounds like you need a new bottom end so i'd start with finding a new LS shortblock, throw some 9:1 compression pistons on eagle rods..go with maybe a t3/t4 turbo on 10 or 12 psi something not crazy but like you said, mild. with the motor out and apart i would replace ALL gaskets, easiest and better off doing them now then later. and i'd get ARP bolts also for atleast the head bolts.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:12 PM
B A N N E D

yeah, you can make that 250whp on stock b18b, But its not gonna last long, and gonna cost you more in the end if not done right to begin with, im serious, Just ask me...i just turbod a stock engine, lasted almost a year. and now im paying double to fix **** and get it right now.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Couple of Questions for a new Honda owner (forcefedferio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by forcefedferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

man thats gonna be hard to get rear wheel horsepower out of your FWD hahaha

sounds like you need a new bottom end so i'd start with finding a new LS shortblock, throw some 9:1 compression pistons on eagle rods..go with maybe a t3/t4 turbo on 10 or 12 psi something not crazy but like you said, mild. with the motor out and apart i would replace ALL gaskets, easiest and better off doing them now then later. and i'd get ARP bolts also for atleast the head bolts.</TD></TR></TABLE>
rofl, I am so used to rwd cars.

I dont think I need a new bottom end. What happened was the person who I bought the car bent a rod. When the took the motor apart, only one rod was bent. Would I need a whole new bottom end for that?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DecentCivicZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, you can make that 250whp on stock b18b, But its not gonna last long, and gonna cost you more in the end if not done right to begin with, im serious, Just ask me...i just turbod a stock engine, lasted almost a year. and now im paying double to fix **** and get it right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The motor is a b18a1 if that makes a difference.
What is the most reliable hp that I can get out of this motor stock then? I dont want to put to much money into this car, when I already have another project car that still not complete. I wont be adding the turbo to this car until January-ish or tax time.
OT, but my brother just finished building his b18a1 with eagle rods, je pistons, PNP, ARP's and stock HG. he is supposed to get tuned with crome tomorrow. cannot wait to see how that turns out.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:12 PM

As of right now this is what I am looking at ordering.
GASKETS
- Oil Pan
- Oil Seal
- Oil Pickup
- Head Gasket
- Intake Manifold
- Valve Cover
- Spark plug tube seals
- Cam Seal Plug
- Intake Manifold

New Rod Bearings
Arp Head Studs

What else should I get?
Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bimmeracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bimmeracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As of right now this is what I am looking at ordering.
GASKETS
- Oil Pan
- Oil Seal
- Oil Pickup
- Head Gasket
- Intake Manifold
- Valve Cover
- Spark plug tube seals
- Cam Seal Plug
- Intake Manifold

New Rod Bearings
Arp Head Studs

What else should I get?</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much are you willing to spend on internals? It can make all the difference.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 PM

[QUOTE=bimmeracer]LS non-vtech QUOTE]

hehehehe "vtecH"....notice the H.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: (Boost_V)

not much since I dont plan on making over 300whp and I still have my other project car which is my main concern. THis is more of a DD with plans to boost in the future.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMexican &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=bimmeracer]LS non-vtech QUOTE]

hehehehe "vtecH"....notice the H.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMexican &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=bimmeracer]LS non-vtech QUOTE]

hehehehe "vtecH"....notice the H.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
As I said im a Honda NOOB.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bimmeracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I dont think I need a new bottom end. What happened was the person who I bought the car bent a rod. When the took the motor apart, only one rod was bent. Would I need a whole new bottom end for that?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you don't need a whole new bottom ned if that's all that happened, but while you're replacing that one, I'd probably get some aftermarket, stronger rods since you're already dealing w/ them and you'll eventually go for boost.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bimmeracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not much since I dont plan on making over 300whp and I still have my other project car which is my main concern. THis is more of a DD with plans to boost in the future. </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://jgenginedynamics.com/Sh....html Look at Turbo build # 1. JG is pretty expensive, but i try to figure out parts plus labor(if you need it) to see if it's worth it. They're a good company nontheless.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boost_V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bimmeracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As of right now this is what I am looking at ordering.
GASKETS
- Oil Pan
- Oil Seal
- Oil Pickup
- Head Gasket
- Intake Manifold
- Valve Cover
- Spark plug tube seals
- Cam Seal Plug
- Intake Manifold

New Rod Bearings
Arp Head Studs

What else should I get?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Right now braking all the gaskets down like that you would save a bit of $$ if you just got a master gasket kit
Old 07-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

You can balance/polish the crank and send the head out to get a valve job, springs, retainers, and new seals
Old 07-19-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Right now braking all the gaskets down like that you would save a bit of $$ if you just got a master gasket kit </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks. Didnt know about that. Since I have a wholesales account, can I get that from the dealer?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can balance/polish the crank and send the head out to get a valve job, springs, retainers, and new seals </TD></TR></TABLE>
About how much would all of that cost on average?
Thanks guys for the help
Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 PM

bump for answers