Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Correcting camber this weekend. Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correcting camber this weekend. Question.

My first question is about the rear camber. I'm guestimating that I'm dropped little over 2" (maybe 2 1/2) and was wondering what thickness spacers I should get to bring the camber back to approx. -1.0 deg?

Second question is about the front. I haven't yet purchased a kit becuase I wanted to talk to some people about the kits they have tried. I was considering the skunk2 kit but after reading Tom's and other people's problems with it hitting the fender well I'm not sure this is the way to go. If anyone has solutions to this problem or can suggest another kit I'd appreciate it. Also, I'm interested in something that is adjustable to around +/- 3.0 deg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
G looking forward to stopping the tire wear.

[Modified by g_man80, 3:05 PM 9/25/2002]
Old 09-25-2002, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Correcting camber this weekend. Question. (g_man80)

I would also like to know this info..
Old 09-25-2002, 01:57 PM

Sorry for giving it a bump, but looks like I'm not the only one.
Thanks,
G
Old 09-25-2002, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't have any advice on the front camber kits, but for the rear camber washer trick, it's been suggested to use one washer per inch it's dropped. you may want to use three washers and longer bolts if you're dropped 2.5 inches. i'm dropped about 1.75 inches, so i used two washers. here's a how-to sight about it: http://www.jdmfan.com/technical/suspension/rear_camber/

hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Correcting camber this weekend. Question. (isotopesope)

Thanks for the link. The rear correction should go smoothly.

Now any suggestions for a front kit?

G
Old 09-25-2002, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the link.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Correcting camber this weekend. Question. (Civic LX 29)

This is going to the top again. Please, some input on the front.

G
Old 09-25-2002, 10:07 PM

Rear: Here's what I'd do... (and what I did)... take one of the bolts out and get a ride or take another car to the autoparts store... tell them you need a bolt like that, but longer and/or without the part on the end that's not threaded. Make sure it's a "suspension grade" bolt... probably a grade 8 or better. Then get some washers to go on that. When it comes down to figuring out how many washers you need... it's trial and error... I couldn't ever get an exact number on how many I needed. I bought five, but I'm currently only using 3, and I'm dropped about 2.25" in the rear... What you should do is this: put in like two washers, tighten everything up and lower your car off the jackstands... now hold the level up vertically and see how far off it is. If you need more, jack it back up and add more, if less, same... if it's just right, then leave it.

Front: I have the Skunk2 control arms on my 5th gen coupe, and I am fairly happy with them so far. There were a few little glitches that I had to work out, but overall they work pretty well and are very simple to adjust (just jack the car up and loosen the bolts). The first thing you would want to do if you get the Skunk2's is to replace the mushy stainless steel bolts they have with some regular-headed tougher ones... the heads on the ones that came with the kit bent on me when I was trying to torque tighten them down Also, make sure after you install these and adjust the camber that you get an alignment or at least adjust your toe yourself. After correcting the camber on my car, my front-end was toed WAY out and it felt really twitchy driving it. Get a tape measure and measure from the rear of one front wheel to the rear of the other front wheel, then do the same at the front... your fronts should be a LITTLE bit toed in, for better tracking and to help reduce tire wear (when you drive a bit faster, the suspension will even out so that your toe is just right). I haven't ever used any other camber kits so I can't really say for sure whether anything else out there is better than the Skunk2's... I've heard some horror stories about other kits that won't keep an alignment (come loose or whatever), so I dunno... So far I haven't had any problems like this with the Skunk2's.

Hope this helps... just my experiences with my 95 coupe.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Correcting camber this weekend. Question. (matt-eg)

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to go with the skunk2 kit in the front. I've heard a few negative things, like the bolt issue and clearance problems, but other than that it seems like a sound product.

Thanks again for the help and if anyone has something else to add type away.
Thanks,
G
Old 09-26-2002, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I IM'ed you with some suggestions for those Skunk2 arms