Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

which is correct way for cross drill slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which is correct way for cross drill slotted rotors?

which is the correct way to put on the rotor. is it like the one in the picture or is it the other side around.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: which is correct way for cross drill slotted rotors? (lilo_goki)

that is correct.. what size tires and wheels are those? 205/45/15?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: which is correct way for cross drill slotted rotors? (raidacaipo)

look like 16s seeings how tegs have 10 inch brakes and those wheels still have some gap between the rotor and wheel
Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: which is correct way for cross drill slotted rotors? (lilo_goki)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raidacaipo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that is correct.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it is the other way around.

&lt;------ \
Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Uxi
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which is correct way for cross drill slotted rotors? (turbojdmhatch)

These guys have it right. That Teg has it wrong.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which is correct way for cross drill slotted rotors? (BlueIntegraBoy)

OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I had it wrong the whole time then? I been running like this for 4 months already.. and it breaks really really good.. WOW IM A DUMBASS!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Uxi
Honda-Tech Member

Doubt it really matters since it's just for looks anyways.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which is correct way for cross drill slotted rotors? (Uxi)

it actually helps I beleive.. but man are these people correct? I mean its already brakes really really good.. if I change it will it brake even better?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raidacaipo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it actually helps I beleive.. but man are these people correct? I mean its already brakes really really good.. if I change it will it brake even better?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right there on the box
Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^actually its been proven it really doesnt help much and actually is more harm then good.

why dont you see f1 cars and such run them then.

the thing is that its drilled out as for ferrari they have them cast like that.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Lobster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Lobster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^actually its been proven it really doesnt help much and actually is more harm then good.

why dont you see f1 cars and such run them then.

the thing is that its drilled out as for ferrari they have them cast like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>
true!! like the real brembos.. they dont come with holes in them.. usually companies buy them and drill the holes in it themselfs to try and sell it more.. or make it look more appealing.. but brembo doesnt recommend it and it voids there warranty I believe.. MAN IM GOING TO KILL MY FRIEND! i had it right the first time and he made me change them..
Old 10-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raidacaipo)

some companys say one way some say the other. According to powerslot you have it right.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (highroller54)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highroller54 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some companys say one way some say the other. According to powerslot you have it right.</TD></TR></TABLE>
GEEZ! I dont know what to do anymore..
well these are from my rear wheels.. are these correct?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raidacaipo)

mine are the other way around.

like cutting forward...
Old 10-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is how mine are per the label on the box.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate the slotted/cross-drilled rotors on my civic. They warp so easily. As soon as I change the brakes (not breaks) I am going back to stock.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:42 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (tercel95)

<FONT SIZE="7">THERE IS NO CORRECT ONE WAY!!!</FONT>

You follow the manufacturer's instructions, plain and simple. The main issue is which way the internal veins flow, not the external ones that we can plainly see.

I've owned a few sets of slotted rotors and each specified the opposite way to mount them.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:53 AM

I had them cut forward on my MR2, flow "with" direction of car on my Civic, it doesnt really matter.

it's all for looks.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, some say it doesn't matter, and some say it does. i guess i'll do it the way the bmw did it.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lilo_goki)

How about you follow the directions like B18 stated. Theyre the ones who made the brakes.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><FONT SIZE="7">THERE IS NO CORRECT ONE WAY!!!</FONT>

You follow the manufacturer's instructions, plain and simple. The main issue is which way the internal veins flow, not the external ones that we can plainly see.I've owned a few sets of slotted rotors and each specified the opposite way to mount them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bingo
Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is what i found in the brake thread.

"The vanes are to point away from the rotation of the car, not toward it, as they draw air in to out, not biting into it and pulling it inward. Cooling ducts help by forcing cool air into the hub area to be vented out the curved vanes. Curved vanes usually start being effective at 50-60mph and above."
Old 10-24-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Re: (lilo_goki)

hey, i work for mercedes, and we have a lot of models that have factory dimpled or drilled or slotted rotors, and what i have found is that a car that has dimpled or drilled or dlotted rotors, that the direction of those doesnt matter, when we replace them, there is only one part number for the front discs, and one for the rear, and so when installed, one disc goes one way, the other goes the opposite, and this is on discs where the internal venting vanes BETWEEN the faces of the disc, those go straight out, and not slanted. the ones that have slanted internal vents, those are directional, but our faces on those rotors are bi-directional, meaning the holes or dimples dont follow lines, they are randomly placed and spaced out evenly. dont bother to care what the slots or dimples look like on the outside, the part you can see, they are for degassing a very hot brake pad, and when its going through there, they dont care weather the gas comes out in a centrifugal pattern or not. however, the internal vents that are inbetween the faces of the rotor, those do matter, becuase they rely on centrifugal force to force cooling air through there at high speed, and you want the heat to go outward so it can get out of the wheel, and not into the center, heating the bearing. anyways, if i knew how to find and post a picture, then this is what i would show you look for the discs on a G55, they are funny, but the brakes on any non AMG are bi directional, and only certain AMG's have directional rotors, but thats only due to the internal venting is directional, and so then they have to do the cross drilling where they have metal to drill, and thats directionally slanted.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re:

I do not care what any brake topic says - if they say the exterior slots/dimples/holes always go a certain way whoever posted it is an idiot.

Sorry to be so blunt but I can't sit here and read any misinformation being regurgitated in a forum I happen to moderate.

Fact/gosphel truth is you follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Following the different manufacturers' instructions (I mean different companies collectively/comparitively) will result in some rotors going one way, and others going the opposite way.

Like I already said I've owned same different slotted rotors (which IMO suck *** because they do warp faster than good old OE solids) and I specifically recall having to swap my rear rotors (rears are non vented so they go any way you want them) to match the fronts because my first set went one way; the next set went th opposite way.

You can believe that you want to believe - I don't EVER post something this matter of fact unless I KNOW the information is 100% true.

Funny thing is once you've mounted them, correctly or incorrectly, only morons will try to tell you that they're on wrong just by casually looking at them. People who know the truth won't say anything because we know different companies have different internal veins that should determine which way the veins face.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for b18c5-eh2, i've also heard that blanks rotor are better than cross drill/slotted ones. is that true, the F1 race car does use blank rotor though.

Quick Reply: which is correct way for cross drill slotted rotors?