Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coolant temperature sensor died?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temperature sensor died?

I installed another distributor to fix the fact that my old one had begun to seize...

and now my temperature gauge is reading very low and doesn't rise.
In fact when I turn the car on it goes lower?

So what are the odds I whacked it while installing my distributor and killed it?

I am just going to get one from napa tommarrow.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Coolant temperature sensor died? (Minglor)

i'll give to 5 ta 1 ..... right
Old 01-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I replaced the sensor and I am still not getting a tempature reading

Let the car idle for 5 mins and drove for about 20 and idled for another 5...
Needle didn't move
Old 01-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Minglor)

bump.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Changed the thermostat.

No difference
Old 01-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you check the wiring from it to make sure you didn't hack any of those? Also, I think, and I am not 100 % sure there may be a fuse that runs that gauge, may want to check for that.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bart2546)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bart2546 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you check the wiring from it to make sure you didn't hack any of those? Also, I think, and I am not 100 % sure there may be a fuse that runs that gauge, may want to check for that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, wires look good.
Can only see a small part of them before they good under the black plastic wrap.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The temp gauge uses a different sensor than the ECU does. So hopefully whatever you replaced, was really the correct one to start with.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:37 AM

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The temp gauge uses a different sensor than the ECU does. So hopefully whatever you replaced, was really the correct one to start with.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, sensor for the gauge should be a single wire and ECU will have two wires.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can someone tell me where the sensor is even located on a obd1 gsr? i have a water temp gauge and i dont know where to hook up the sensor. can i hook it up to my ecu? if so which wire. or which wire in my engine bay. someone show me a pic or something plz thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kr4nG)

If im not mistaken it goes like this.

correct? i need to know too ha

Modified by Neukin at 8:18 PM 1/28/2007
Old 01-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this in the rear of the block by the oil filter? or on the side more towards the timeing belt. i have no idea which direction in looking at in the pic.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the distributor side

I'll go snap a clearer picture for you
Old 01-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18EG6)

as he said, right below the distributor. Take the dizzy off with those three 12mm bolts if you need to take the sensor out. drain some coolent before hand btw.

I just replaced that sensor with one from jegs so i could wire up a digital gauge that reads more accurate... for only $60 i did the below.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Neukin)

very nice looking neukin! I was going to mount an oil pressure gauge there a while ago but instead just carved out the OEM dimmer hole on a teg dash and ounted it in there

Here is a slightly more in focus picture, OBD1 GSR head (and **** poor lighting conditions)

Doubt you will need another picture, but let me know if ya do

Old 01-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18EG6)

doesnt look like a neukin manifold B18EG6 haha

Thanks, it turned out ok. I was scared i would mess it up when cutting the rectangle.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok you circled two sensors there. theyre both for water? or one is oil one is water. i see yellow red and green wires. which one out of the 3 do i split and mount to my water temp. gauge. also can i just hook it up to the stock sensor? or i need a special one. what is the blue and red plug you got there. im still not famillar what im looking at but tomorrow ill check it out on my car. wish it wasnt so close cause i cant identify anything. thanks
also you took out your fuel needle that is how i messed up my water temp in the first place. i took it off to put a new gauge face. and now its off. i could fix it if i just play with the needle but it takes forever to unscrew and rescrew and its annoying. so i just got a gauge and now i want to learn where the sensor wire goes.
Neukin it would be so cool if you gave a brief describtion on which wires you mounted and where. i dont need to know how you physically installed it. i just want to know like which digital display and where the wires went. did they go into the cluster? or ecu or where.

Modified by Kr4nG at 9:41 PM 1/30/2007
Old 01-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ignore the blue/red fittings - I added those.

The two I circled are both coolant sensors. I am not at my car, but if my memory serves me correct the wires are:

yellow/green

red/white
green/blue

I do not know if you can simply tee off of an OEM sensor signal line, you would be best to add the sensor somewhere.

Have you considered mounting the aftermarket sensor in the radiator hose? Simply get a length of metal tubing, drill and tap the tube, and use the provided sensor? here is an example from my old setup, note the copper tube that helps to route the radiator piping

If you want something cleaner, you could also tap the thermostat housing That is where the OEM fan switch sensor is.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea if my gauge came with a sensor i wouldnt have questions. the gauge has possitive negative sisgnal and dimmer. the signal is just a wire. normal wire ready to get plugged into some kind of sensor. i dont know where to plug it into. i was thinking into some kind of oem water temp sensor. i see you have turbo so that explains yoru oil fittings. you added. where could i mount it into my thermostat. will my gauge show my needle moveing? or only move when the fan will turn on. ohhhh now i know what im looking at. haha the side of the head. i thought i was looking at the back of it. its very interesting y would there be two sensors for just water.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one sensor for the dash, one for the ecu... as stated above

What kind of gauge is it? That would help immensely
Old 01-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a faze gauge. it didnt come with the sensor it should of came. all i have is a wire. if you apply volts to it the needle moves. where can i hook this dam thing to. i dont really want to spend more money on a sensor to make it work. hope some has an idea of how i can hook it up to the thermostat or the oem senors.
look what they did here.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.....html

Modified by Kr4nG at 10:53 PM 1/30/2007
Old 01-31-2007, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yeh it looks like they installed it in one of the areas I recommended

here is my guess... since the sending unit is only one wire it is more than likely a resistive element and provides varying resistance to ground.

You may be able to use an OEM sensor, but I do not know if you could use OEM and aftermarket simultaneously; you may introduce a voltage divider into the line and cut both gauges' reading in half.

Where did you get the gauge from? Summit carries their own line of gauges and the sender looks a lot like the on you posted from the SCC link.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i bought the gauge off a friend. he never had it hooked up. so i just want to install it cause its neseccary for me. today im gonna see where i can hook it up to. ill unplug a sensor from the block to see if my cluster arrow will fall. if it falls than that should be the sensor to hook it up to. right? where do you recemend would be the most accuarate place. i dont know where they are hooking it up. the cluster gauge is useless for me so i dont care if i unhook it. i just need my aftermarket sensor to read correctly.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kr4nG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill unplug a sensor from the block to see if my cluster arrow will fall. if it falls than that should be the sensor to hook it up to. right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it's not.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The cluster temp gauge uses a different sensor than the ECU does.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can try tapping into the stock ECT sensor (Red/Wht), but if that throws off the voltage going to the ECU, then remove it.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

its a cyberdyne gauge from JEGS and the sensor to go with the gauge.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs...57_-1

Here is a pin out of the wires behind the cluster i used the 92-95
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1053318

B10---blk/yel for power on

D2---red/blk for dimmer

A4---yel/grn for data

A5---blk for gound

I also removed the stock gauge sensor, threaded in the cyberdyne, cut the stock sensor plug off and soldered on the cyberdyne thus i connected to the stock sending wire.

Quick Reply: Coolant temperature sensor died?