Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant Leak?

Ok guys my JDM D15B is freaken leaking coolant but I have no idea where from. Its not radiator hoses and all. Everywhere I park for a while I leave a puddle of coolant. Plus my car now just started over heating. Not too much cuz I wouldn't let it. The only thing I can come up with is that its coming from somewhere in tha bcak of block cuz my header end that connects with the catback gets wet. But I don't see anything leaking. Wtf?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Coolant Leak? (mortificationrock)

get a pressure tester and take a goooooood look. put the system under higher pressure and it should be pretty easy to find. behind the block... maybe a head gasket or a heater hose....
Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coolant Leak? (biggjerryc)

What head gasket??? How would that be? I checked my oil and all and I have no mixtures so I don't think its the headgasket. Atleast im hoping it aint.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 PM

It's probably one of the many coolant hoses that is behind the motor... Just get a coolant system pressure tester. You wont need to run high pressure! coolant system run around 15psi. just pressure the system and look for a leak.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coolant Leak? (hatchattack92)

Ok sorry for the noobness but I don't know what a pressure tester is or looks like. Or how to use it. Im hoping its a hose. Cuz I just turned it on a couple of days ago. Like 5 days ago. I finished my car with a new skunk2 mani also. The thing is that the car hadn't been started for about 8-9 months. And when I started it I didn't notice that the TB cable pulley was stuck open against the Skunk2 mani. So when I turned it on it reved like a mother. Like up to 7K. So I think that didn't help somehow. What I do know is that when I got under the car I saw my header bottom pipe all wet. But its not a hose. And I really don't think its the headgasket I hope not. But I was thinking maybe the t stat is stuck close cuz I didn't replace it. Maybe its f'ed up since I haven't used it for a while. Or maybe that one coolant pipe in the back of the block is messed up. **** I don't know im out of ideas.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM

CEHCK UR THROTTLE BODY......IT'S COULD BE IT....OR MAYBE THE LITTLE HOSES ON UR THROTTLE BODY....PLUS CHECK THE IDLE AIR SENSOR HOSES IN THE BACKK...IT'S MIGHT BE LOOSE...I MEAN THE AIR IDLE SENSOR...THAT'S THE ONLY I CAN THINK OF...PLUS I THINK IT'S CHOLD BE THE MANNI NOT TIGHT OR NEEDS NEW GASKET????I DON'T KNOE....I'M THINK IT'S UR MANNI LEAKING....JUST LET THE CAR RUN AND LET IT KOOL DOWN AND TOUCH OR FEEL WHERE THE MANNI AND HEAD CONNECTS AND SEE IF THERE'S COOLENT THERE....HOPE IT IS MAN...I DOUBT IT'S A HEAD GASKET OR HOSES...IN UR SITUATION...GOOD LUCK
Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM

http://www.denlorstools.com/ho....html
Thats what a coolant system pressure tester looks like. Did you replace the intake manifold gasket? Cause that would definitly cause a coolant leak if its ripped.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hows your water pump?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4drkidd)

Well the water pump was new last year. Lets just say that I replaced it on july 07 and then on october 07 I parked it and dropped trans rack and pinion shocks.....and a bunch of other **** and sat for about 8-9 months until last week when I started her up.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchattack92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.denlorstools.com/ho....html
Thats what a coolant system pressure tester looks like. Did you replace the intake manifold gasket? Cause that would definitly cause a coolant leak if its ripped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the IM gasket is new. I replaced it with a felpro gasket when I installed the skunk2 mani. And as for the pressure tester.....that's **** is $100. F that! Might as well take those $100 and replace anything that has to do with cooling.the only thing im positive about is that its coming fromthe center. Cuz the puddles are always in the center of my vehicle. So I don't think its my water pump. Cuz it would be more to the side and should have already heard the whistling. I mean what are the chances of my t stat being stuck close? Since it was park for so long under the open sun too.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

best bet is a pressure tester...if you're still worried if it's the head gasket...simplest thing to check is your dip stick...if the oil is milky like yoohoo then it's the head gasket....check for corrosion also on the ends of your hoses and lines if you haven't done so yet
Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Ya just go with the pressure tester! Your car over heated cause u probably lost a good amount of your coolant. When u replaced the intake manifold did you make sure there wasn't any old gasket pieces stuck on the head?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchattack92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya just go with the pressure tester! Your car over heated cause u probably lost a good amount of your coolant. When u replaced the intake manifold did you make sure there wasn't any old gasket pieces stuck on the head?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I made sure I had no pieces. But if it was coming from the mani gasket it would have probably gone through the #4 cylinder. Happened to me once. Water was going through my #4 cylinder and caused the car to bog like **** and smoke like **** too. But im thinking what it can be. I turned the car on today but couldn't find any possibly leaks. From what I see its coming from somewhere near where the tranny is. Towards that side. I really wouldn't know if my t stat might be bad cuz it sat for too long. What do you guys think? Do you guys think it might have messed up? Or maybe I need to put those O-rings that go on that coolant pipe on the back of the block. When I installed it my dad put silicone on it. I had no O-rings. Maybe that's it I wouldn't know. Cuz today I could have swore my car was on for about 10 min but my radiator cap was cold.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tch. i had some one put silicone on my water pump inlet it just kept leaking thats probalby your best bet. Also how'd the alignment go
Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 AM
* B A N N E D *

turn the heater on and see if it smells like coolant in the cab. That might narrow down to hoses to/from heater core, or the core itself.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jimmy o.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jimmy o. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tch. i had some one put silicone on my water pump inlet it just kept leaking thats probalby your best bet. Also how'd the alignment go</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well as for the aligment the dumbasses from kragen gave me the wrong tie rod. That's why I couldn't fix it. But that's over with now. But now its this ****.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mortificationrock)

Well I need a coolant pipe or water pipe whatever its called,that goes in the back of the block. The damm stealer wants $55 + tax. Plus the O rings. And right now im in a tight as budget cuz of the loads of stuff I just put on the car. If anyone knows where I can get it cheaper or someone has a spare one hit me up at: mortification@tmail.com. Im also looking for some Obd1 ex injectors. Stock ones.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a set of dx injectors dont know if there the same probably need cleaning came off a 92. and dont you just need the o-rings or is the water pipe damaged?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I really wouldn't know. I haven't checked my car right but im more than positive that's what's wrong. Its just that the pipe was old as hell and rusted the last time I put together the engine. So if im gonna change the O rings I would like to change the pipe also. I like to do things right the first time. As for the injectors I want ex ones cuz the one I currently have on the D15B (JDM) are my old Lx injectors. And I have a itch about them having diffirent flowing rate. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just sand the pipe and paint it w/ some engine paint and throw a new set of o-rings on it. I would sell you my ex injectors but i kind of need them does the car not run right with the lx ones?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well might try that. Ill see when I actually remove it. As for the injectors.....my car runs rich as hell. I was getting about 150-170 miles to a tank before, so I know that's not normal and wanted to replace my injectors. But I don't want to buy new ones since I bought some rebuilt DSM 350 cc injectors for my turbo setup. But im not gonna install my turbo till maybe end of the year. I have everything already I just need to save up some dough for my dyno tune. But money is tight right now and I just had my daughter born a couple months ago. So I can't waste as much as before. That's why I wanted to buy used injectors of from a ex. I really wouldn't know if the lx injectors flow less than ex ones. Maybe some one can chime in on a answer on that one.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update

Ok well I replaced the coolant pipe with a new one and new o rings. Still F'en leaking.What the hell? Damm same spot. This **** is driving me nuts cuz I can't find the damm leak.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 AM

What coolant are you using? I have some orangey pink stuff that sticks to the engine when it is hot so you can see where the trail from where leak is occuring...if you use water or some cheap coolant then it will evaporate when it hits anything hot and you won't see what's leaking - my bet is water pump.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (timtech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by timtech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What coolant are you using? I have some orangey pink stuff that sticks to the engine when it is hot so you can see where the trail from where leak is occuring...if you use water or some cheap coolant then it will evaporate when it hits anything hot and you won't see what's leaking - my bet is water pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I know for a fact its not the water pump. Its coming from the side where the tranny meets the engine. I just can't figure out from where? Im going to have to triple if not quadruple check my hoses. That's all that's left.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you checked the thermostat housing? its right in that area.