Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coolant bleed help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant bleed help

I have a 95 civic d15b8 (commuter car). So I was trying to bleed my coolant the other day and I snapped the bleeder valve from over tightening it. I went to the local junk yard and picked a new one. I jacked up the car so that the front end would be the highest point. So I filled the radiator with 50/50 untill a steady stream came out of the bleeder valve. I then turned on the car and and turned the heater full blast and kept adding water. Well bubbles kept appearing from the radiator neck. I had the car running for an half hour and bubbles still were coming. I know that air bubbles will cause the car to over heat. So how do I get rid of these bubbles? Does this mean I need a new head gasket or water pump? Thanks in advance
Old 01-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coolant bleed help

Originally Posted by dmeconitas
I have a 95 civic d15b8 (commuter car). So I was trying to bleed my coolant the other day and I snapped the bleeder valve from over tightening it. I went to the local junk yard and picked a new one. I jacked up the car so that the front end would be the highest point. So I filled the radiator with 50/50 untill a steady stream came out of the bleeder valve. I then turned on the car and and turned the heater full blast and kept adding water. Well bubbles kept appearing from the radiator neck. I had the car running for an half hour and bubbles still were coming. I know that air bubbles will cause the car to over heat. So how do I get rid of these bubbles? Does this mean I need a new head gasket or water pump? Thanks in advance
was the car on the floor or the jack when you were bleeding it? was the radiator cap off when the car was running? did you check your other hoses?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wait... close the bleeder screw.. take the rad cap off.. top off the rad. then run the car with the heater on.. fill when rad gets low.. i dont touch the bleeder screw..

Thats how i do it ^
Old 01-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the car was on the floor jack when it was running and the cap was also off. I pinched the top and bottom hoses to get the bubbles out also.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dmeconitas
Yes the car was on the floor jack when it was running and the cap was also off. I pinched the top and bottom hoses to get the bubbles out also.
i would bleed it with the car on the ground
Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was informed that using the jack to raise the front end will help with the air bubbles trapped because it would make the front end the highest point, and air bubbles travel to the highest point. However, I will try it on the ground tomorrow. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why everyone should get a service manual:
Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I cant find the links for the helms manual. I have on for my crx. But this way I dont see how it is going to get rid of the bubbles. Does the bubbles escape through the overflow tank? Would you mind posting a pic of checking the fans. I am not sure if my fan is coming on correctly but all the fuses are good.