Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Converting EX HU into amber

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Converting EX HU into amber

Ok, so i was bored and decided to take apart my stock HU (2000 civic ex)
I don't have any pics yet but if I can get some I'll definitely post them up on how to do the conversion, but its really that simple that you can figure it out just by looking at it so I'll at least get some final finish pictures up..

First step obviously is to remove your headunit from the car, I don't think I need to explain how to do this part and if you really need that information on removing the HU then do a search to locate steps on removing your stock HU.

Ok, so you have your stock <U>white</U> headunit in hand..
Locate the two screws (one on each side) on the left and right side of the HU they will be towards the face of the unit. (You'll need a smaller phillips head screwdriver)
After unscrewing them place them in a spot that you won't loose them, now you need to pull off the button on the faceplate at the top left hand corner that you use to control the volume and power on/off, it might feel like it won't come off but it will just give it a good pull straight out and it will come off.

Next look at where the black plastic of the faceplate meets the metal, there should be a small rubber rectangle grommet that goes around the entire edge of the faceplate, take a small flat head screwdriver and peel a part of it up and then pull it off all the way around, you can save it if you want but its not necessary, I did because it keeps from scratching up the black plastic of my bezel.
After that grab your flat head again and look at the edge where you just pulled that rubber grommet see where the plastic clips against the metal box? Use the screwdriver to pry the plastic and metal apart all the way around, do this carefully and try not to be to forcefull but it will require a little pushing, after you undo the clips all the way around it should become loose and slowly pull away from the metal box. Make sure you pull it away straight and not on an angle because when you get it off you'll notice the two ports the faceplate connects into on the box.

Ok now set the box to the side and grab the face plate, locate the two small screws on the inside one on the left and one on the right and use a smaller phillips head screwdriver to undo them, set them aside and now you can pull the board out of the faceplate, do this carefully and make sure you push the two black tabs on each side out a little and the board will come right out.

This is it lady's and gent's now look at the front of the board and locate the bulbs, they should have little blue condoms overtop of them, pull them off and color them with a orange sharpie permanent marker, I did mine in about 3 coats and used a bright light to look at each bulb to make sure each bulb was colored fully and evenly, came out perfect! Now reassemble and stare at your new <U>amber</U> HU!

Notes:

The two buttons at the bottom left hand side of the headunit that controls bass/treble etc. you won't have to bother with them since they are connected to the metal box and not the faceplate.

The LCD that displays cd track/time/radio station is not changeable as far as I know, it will have to remain that grey color with black text, its soldered in and is a waste of time to try to figure out how to change the colors on it, if anyone is that froggy to do so I'd love to see results.

I take no responsibilities for damages, and also note don't unplug your HU and do this project unless you have your radio code, otherwise if you do call the dealership with the serial number and your VIN number to get the code.

Thanks for reading, I'll have pics soon.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ever made you think to do that. A little too much time on your hands.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RudeLudeHatch)

Well, my aftermarket HU is broken, I decided to put the stock one back in and make it match my cluster and climate controls..

Plus it beats paying $$ for a SI one when all you gotta pay is a few bucks for a sharpie marker...

I won't deny that I was bored though..
Old 09-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Memnoch)

Heres some pics.. horrible I know my camera BLOWS....

but you get the point...

the car:

the amber insides:

Old 09-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Converting EX HU into amber (Memnoch)

i did this about a year ago.. and you can change the LCD to amber as well.. i forgot how to...

but i think you have these little tabs on the back of it that you bend out.. then slide off the lcd to reveal the bulbs or something.. but mine is amber
Old 09-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Converting EX HU into amber (EeeJayEight)

I'd love to see your amber lcd... maybe ill try it...
Old 09-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill take a pic sometime soon when i get back from vacation... (yes i know i am on vacation and on HT.. lol) there was a write up that i followed on here a year or so ago.. search the archives and you might be able to find it
Old 09-07-2006, 06:33 PM

Nice write up, looks dope mang
Bout to have you come over and do my climate control, im too lazy to pull my dash apart..