Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic

Anyone have this problem where the control arm hits the frame after installing a front camber kit on a 93 Civic. When I slide the control arm as far in toward the engine bay the arms just miss the frame when lowering the car down. Right now I can't make any adjustments to make the camber more positive. The only way I think is to notch the frame a little so the control arm clears the frame. Anyone have this same problem.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic (19civic93)

get a different camber kit....

get one like the skunk2 that replaces the entire upper control arm... You have the one that uses the stock control arm... you can fix the problem, but it's a pain in the but with that kit... the skunk2 is far more user friendly!!

And that is the only and easies way to fix the problem...
Old 03-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic (Fuminsho)

Any other ideas without having to use the skunk2 kit?
Old 03-20-2004, 11:33 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic (19civic93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 19civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any other ideas without having to use the skunk2 kit?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Stiffer springs or a higher ride height. That's about it.

Or you could just forget the camber kit entirely.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic (Targa250R)

just beat the hell out of your upper control arm till it clears the fender
Old 03-21-2004, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic (silverEH2)

Thank's for the help but I thing I'm just gonna notch the frame out.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

If you're lowered less than 3" you don't need a camber kit IMHO.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Let me guess, you got the SPC "Extreme" kits that go 3 degrees? Are they the knuckle-type that are shaped like a J?

If so those kits suck. I never install those because of the exact problem you're telling us about.

The only SPC knuckle kit to buy is the 1.5 degree kit. They should correct any amount of negative camber and still leave you within specs without slamming your upper A-arms into your unibody.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me guess, you got the SPC "Extreme" kits that go 3 degrees? Are they the knuckle-type that are shaped like a J?
If so those kits suck. I never install those because of the exact problem you're telling us about.The only SPC knuckle kit to buy is the 1.5 degree kit.
They should correct any amount of negative camber and still leave you within specs without slamming your upper A-arms into your unibody.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, i think that's the camber kit i got. do you konw if there would cause any problems if i notch the frame? i don't really care much for performance just more for the look. so what kind of set up do you have on your civic and how much of a drop do you have?

Old 03-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Former Moderator

Do not notch your frame - bad choice.

The best solution will be to buy the 1.5 degree kit from SPC and max them out and install them.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic (B18C5-EH2)

dont knotch the frame, do it right and get a new kit
Old 03-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do not notch your frame - bad choice.

The best solution will be to buy the 1.5 degree kit from SPC and max them out and install them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats wrong with notching the frame? I do stuff like this all the time with lowriders. Notch it and reweld it. I'll take a look at those SPC ones though but I wouldn't be notching much just a little.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just looked at those spc camber kits. It's not much different fromt he ones I got. Mine can adjust up to 3 degree. Typically both kits bring the control arm out to where it would hit the frame. Even if i adjust to 1.5 degrees it would still hit the frame. I think the actual problem is my ride height. I want the car to sit real low and if I have to make any mods to aquire this I won't hesitate to do it. I think I'm gonna have to notch it because 1.5 degrees won't correct my camber much at it's current ride height. I currently stand in between performance and looks. I will sacrifice peformance to get the look I want. I am more into the lowrider scene and deal mostly with old school rides and hydraulics so performance is not my main issue. Most people here are looking for performance but as for me I like to chop stuff up and customize to my taste. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:13 AM
Former Moderator

No dude the 1.5 kits will not cause the A-arm to hit your fender well areas.

I install these things on a weekly basis and perform alignments on lowered vehicles every other day here at my shop.

If I tell you the 1.5 degree kits will work, then trust me, they will work.

I'll post pics of my fiancee's car and how low it sits on the 1.5 degree SPC kits after I get done with yet another alignment here at work.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:14 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 19civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whats wrong with notching the frame? I do stuff like this all the time with lowriders. Notch it and reweld it. I'll take a look at those SPC ones though but I wouldn't be notching much just a little.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW:

Notching a frame on a truck and notching a unibody Honda are two totally different things.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BTW:

Notching a frame on a truck and notching a unibody Honda are two totally different things.

Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WERD!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic (h22avid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No dude the 1.5 kits will not cause the A-arm to hit your fender well areas.

I install these things on a weekly basis and perform alignments on lowered vehicles every other day here at my shop.

If I tell you the 1.5 degree kits will work, then trust me, they will work.

I'll post pics of my fiancee's car and how low it sits on the 1.5 degree SPC kits after I get done with yet another alignment here at work.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will be welding a reinforcement after notching it. Also I do have over a 3 inch drop. With the arms all the way in it just barely misses the frame as I lower the car from a jack. If my car was higher that 1.5 camber kit would work. How low is the drop on those cars with the 1.5 kits? Also do you have any pics? I like to see some. According to a search I did using most camber kits that slide the a-arms out will not clear the frame if the car is lower that 2 inches. Not sure about other cars but thats what is said for 92-95 civics. When I get the chance I'll take a pic of it to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. It might clear things up a bit.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Former Moderator

What size wheels/tires are you running?

Do you tuck the tires? If so how much? If not, how much is the gap between the top of the tire and the fender well arch?
Old 03-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 19civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I will be welding a reinforcement after notching it. Also I do have over a 3 inch drop. With the arms all the way in it just barely misses the frame as I lower the car from a jack. If my car was higher that 1.5 camber kit would work. How low is the drop on those cars with the 1.5 kits? Also do you have any pics? I like to see some. According to a search I did using most camber kits that slide the a-arms out will not clear the frame if the car is lower that 2 inches. Not sure about other cars but thats what is said for 92-95 civics. When I get the chance I'll take a pic of it to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. It might clear things up a bit.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

bro, listen to B18C5-EH2. he knows what he's talking about. you asked if anyone had experience with what your talking about and he said he did and recommended you get the other camber kit. dont notch the frame. not tring to sound like a dick, everyone is just tring to not let you make a mistake you mght regret.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic (vtechicano)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtechicano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

bro, listen to B18C5-EH2. he knows what he's talking about. you asked if anyone had experience with what your talking about and he said he did and recommended you get the other camber kit. dont notch the frame. not tring to sound like a dick, everyone is just tring to not let you make a mistake you mght regret.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the kind words.

19civic93:

I've seen the mini truck/lowrider guys work wonders with frames, notching, etc. - if you feel okay and safe doing it then more power to you man.

The only thing is that if you go to sell that car I doubt that you'd have an easy time selling it if the prospective buyer knows about or ses the frame notching job no matter how nicely it's done.

I personally would not go near a car that has been cut and rewelded, but then again I'm not into the lowrider scene. If you know others that are like you and enjoy slamming your rides then you might not have a hard time selling it.

Good luck in what ever route you go, and again I'll try to post pics of my fiancee's car as soon as the host site is back online again. I doubt it's as low as yours given your background in lowriders, but we'll see. She tucks a tiny bit of her 195-50-15 tires, which is pretty low. It's about as low as one can go while still retaining a good ride and good handling.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Former Moderator

Here's a pic:

1.5 degree kits. Car wears tires perfectly and drives perfect.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does she have the spc balljoint kit?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:01 AM

All this arguying here and nobody even gives the guy a common sense answer.

Whoever said skunk2 will not hit the tower, stfu and don't mislead people with wrong info.

Anyway the common sense thing to do is to adjust the dam camber kit, if it hits, try setting it so it's not all the way out to 3 degrees of correction, instead try 1.5" (so half way), check if it hits, and if it clears get an alignment and you are done.

I personally don't run camber kits anymore, it's bullshit, my tires with the car dumped (close to 4") are good for 2.5 seasons. I raise my car for winters and have steelies with winter tires, but from april to october, my tires hold up fine.

And those are about to flame me on the dumpage, save it, if you can't contribute, just don't even bother writing.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic (UROD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UROD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All this arguying here and nobody even gives the guy a common sense answer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess you missed my replies?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyway the common sense thing to do is to adjust the dam camber kit, if it hits, try setting it so it's not all the way out to 3 degrees of correction, instead try 1.5" (so half way), check if it hits, and if it clears get an alignment and you are done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You are proving that you have no experience with the kits he has,because even when adjusted all the way in the upper A-arms will still hit the unibody/fender well areas. the actual knucles themsleves stick way out more so than the 1.5 kits do. they don't even have an adjustment less than 1.5 degrees. Have you ever even seen the kit he's talking about? If you had you'd understand why he cannot use that kit. i don't even know why SPC sells those shitty things because they ALWAYS mke the upper A arms hit the unibody.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally don't run camber kits anymore, it's bullshit, my tires with the car dumped (close to 4") are good for 2.5 seasons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not bullshit to be able to dial in exactly how much negative camber you'd like depsnding on tires, conditions, driving styles, etc.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And those are about to flame me on the dumpage, save it, if you can't contribute, just don't even bother writing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And what exactly did you contribute? You went off on others for posting misinfo about the /skunk2 kits hitting, but yet you too posted misinfo with the "common sense thing to do is adjust the kits halfway in" even though it's still guaranteed to hit bro.

Hello pot, meet the kettle. Wait a second did you just call him black?

Old 03-22-2004, 12:41 PM

is it hitting the seam where the two pieces of metal come together? i had the same problem on my 91 civic, (if thats whats going on). all i did was cut two slits on the seam with a sawzall and then tapped it with a hammer until it cleared.i didnt cut any further than the seams.it only took two minutes tops. then i took it to a honda dealer ship to have it aligned by my friend and it was good to go.

Quick Reply: control arm hitting frame after installing front camber kit on a civic