Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid???

here is the deal. I dont need a car, it will be kinda a fixer up'r with the intention of going hybrid when time and money allow. I am a semi regular on the integra section so im pretty familar with the tech. end of stuff. I dont know you guys engine codes and all but again that doesnt matter cause the engine is eventually going as well as the tranny for a swap of some kind to be considered later.

Anyway, here we go. This car has been wrecked, make no mistake. It was recently wrecked a few days ago and is now sitting. The previous owner just happens to be my X girlfriend and i was with her back when she bought the car and it was in great shape then, we good shape. Purchased with 70K on the clock about 2 years ago this christmas and now sits with about 105K on the clock. Automatric transmission as mentioned. I dont know the trim level cause it isnt indicated on the car but im assuming its one of the lowest. It has no passanger side mirror and no radio antenna. The only options i think it has is auto tranny, power steering and AC. So you guys do the math and determine what model it is, i dotn know.

Damage: she rearended someone doing apporx 15-25MPH from what i can assume, could be more could be more but im not sure. WEird thing, no air bag deployment at all?!?!?!. hood is bent all to hell, one quarter panel, radiator, and the associated front end parts, headlight housings, turnsignals, bumper. Now, from what i could see, the radiator was pushed right back to the engine but the engie wasnt moved. All the engine mounts i could see were still on original positions and not moved or bent. Also, what frame in the front and sub frame i could see appeared stright and intract. It looked like the body/bumper/radiator might have contacted frame, but not bent. Also, all tires and wheels are intact fine. The engine also looked to be in the same place. Doors are fine excet one that has scratches and maybe a dent from trying to pry back the quarter panel to get in and out.

Other than that interior is perfect, damage wise that is. She left a few burns in it but no big deal. That might be able to swaped for a junk yard civic or something.

So my questions:
---Does this sound like over my head?
---how available in a junk yard are parts to be had for these cars, particularly body parts??
---are there any other signs to look for that would indicate the car is truly a loss?

TIA guys,
Old 12-11-2001, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (maxxdout)

from the options it could be any of the lower models. I say it's a CX or DX. VX would have a v-tec and 13" alloys, Si would have a moonroof and definitely both mirrors. the only thing you didn't mention is the upholstery, that's the best way to tell. If it has vinyl seats it's a CX, mouse-fur it's a DX.

That doesn't really help you get it back together, but at least you know what trim level it is.

I think if you have a garage and you think it's worth the time and money investment to play around with it, I say go for it. But I'm not a body expert.

One warning though, auto to manual conversions are a bitch.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:20 AM

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (Barabus)

ok update,
it does have 13" wheels and no vinal seats, they are cloth.

as far as a swap it would be something B series, not D series from similar civics. In most cases it will be a B18B swap with the matching Y80 tranny from an LS integra. For anyone that doesnt know thats the NON VTEC integra motor and yes, thats the "slow" one. Reason for this choise is simple in my oppinion. Less desirable motor=less money. They are more common and will be alot easier to purchase and possibly a better turbo candidate dude to the gearing.....but thats if i just happen find 3 grand lying around. For now though, primary concern is the condition of the car itself, and weather its possible.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:39 AM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (maxxdout)

if its in a front end collision most likely theres fram damage, i had to pull
my frame...the radiator was touching my header.

if u can get the car for 1000 dollars or less, get it.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B18B is good for turbo
Old 12-11-2001, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (Barabus)

go for it man...projects are fun
Old 12-11-2001, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (hydroflip)

b18b == good turbo engine :D
Old 12-11-2001, 01:06 PM

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (TheFLY)

guys, guys,
yeah the engine is all well and good but i need info on how easy these frams are to bend and if it has probably had a bend in the frame. Is there a way to tell or signs to look for?
Old 12-11-2001, 03:02 PM

ttt
Old 12-11-2001, 03:12 PM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

tell me how much your going to buy the car for?
Old 12-11-2001, 03:35 PM
New User

guys, guys,
yeah the engine is all well and good but i need info on how easy these frams are to bend and if it has probably had a bend in the frame. Is there a way to tell or signs to look for?

you can put it on a rack for 200-300. i just paid $600 for a 94 hatch w/front end damage. not too bad and its red(don't have to paint it....**** teal)

car - 600
rt fender - 35
core support - 400 installed
bumper - 50
fiber images hood - 480
headlight - 40
corner light - 20
stock honda red professionally painted - 1200

94 honda cx, fresh red paint w/ carbon fiber hood in perfect condition - $2825

if you can buy it for under $1000, get it.

[Modified by jinxproof99, 7:36 PM 12/11/2001]
Old 12-11-2001, 03:39 PM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (BoM)

if u can get the car for 1000 dollars or less, get it.
can u get it under a 1000?
jinx seconds i suppose
Old 12-11-2001, 04:20 PM

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (BoM)

jinx, drop me an IM, i like the sound of this....

car 500..probably less

do you know the prices to be typical or guessing??
Old 12-11-2001, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I work in a bodyshop and I will give you some things to look for. You should look at the top of the radiator support to see if there is any kinks in the metal. If yoe put your fingers between the backside of the front wheels, between the fender and the wheel where the splash guards are, you can use your fingers as a guage. If one side you can fit three fingers foe instance and one side you can only fit two than there is most likely a problem. As for the front end parts they are pretty easy to get your hands on depending on area. Hope this helps
Old 12-11-2001, 04:41 PM

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (itr681)

hummmmm,
when you say top of radiator support are you refering to the chassis?? or body?? the radiator has been crushed and pushed back to the engine. The car rear ended a larger car and im guessing it sorta went under the bumper. Does that help any???
Old 12-11-2001, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The radiator support is the first thing you see when you pop the hood. The hood latch bolts on to it
Old 12-12-2001, 10:03 AM

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (itr681)

well, most of all that is pushed back.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The radiator support welds in and the bumper, the front left/right fenders have to be removed and the reinforcement(bar that goes across) im sure you already realize this but unless you know someone who is good at welding, it could end up costing you an arm and a leg. If it is only a project car work on it gradually as extra money pops up. Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:13 PM

ugg,
starting to worry me slightly. I will have to see if i can go and take another look at it and try and figure all that out. This is going to be a project car, or i wish i could be. If not just a restore and sell car, but then it really might jus break me even huh. Ok, the radiator support, i will go again tommorow or the next day and look to see but from what i already saw it looked like verything by the opening of the hood was relocated back to the engine. the frame that is beheind the bumper however is in original place. How does that sound???

any other comments??
Old 12-12-2001, 05:40 PM

Ouch.....not good....i dunno about trying it but if you can ****** it up for under a thou then do it....does it run? She might raise the price cause it still jogs.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:45 PM

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (csmithblues)

engine runs,
its my X girlfriend actually and the price is good at 500 or less. i think its a safe bet. Does anyone have an idea what body parts for this car would run from a junk yard??
Old 12-13-2001, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you go to a junk that lets you take off the parts you will save a lot but if not the two fenders, the bumper and the hood should be around 300 or 400 depending on condition. You could always get aftermarket parts. Aftermarket parts are brand new but not made by honda. They may not fit as well, but it will save you a ton of money if you go that route. They are brand new and for the hood, right/left fender, bumper and the reinforcement you are looking at about 700-900 dollars. The radiator support MUST be bought brand new (preferrably from honda) and once that is welded in, you could pretty much do the rest yourself, except painting. Anyway for less than 500 it is a safe and I think smart investment.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:34 PM

ttt
Old 12-13-2001, 05:34 PM
New User

I have a 93 cx with a bad motor.I was going to do a swap but I think that I will keep my crx. The body and interior look good, will take $2100. The motor and trans are out of the car, but I have a good motor that you can have with it.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:14 PM

Default Re: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid??? (DTAYLOR)

appriciate the offer but im pretty sure i can have the car back to original shape for less than 2100 without the motor.

Quick Reply: considering purchasing a damaged 92 hatch.......good idea or stupid???