Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Confused about something. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about something. . . .

Today on my way home on the NJT in the Paramus area I was tooling along at about 65 mph in the left lane when I spotted a 97ish Acura Cl coming at about 100 Mph.
I wanted to rubber band him so by the time he was 3 cars behind me I threw it in 4th and gunned it.After about 2 seconds he was no longer pulling away but was about 15 cars ahead,I kept it floored all the way to about 210 kilometers an hour and he was about 9 cars ahead.We hit a patch of traffic and I noticed it was a 3.0 CL V6 with 200 HP.So now that we were both at about 55 mph he tried to pass me buy I gunned it and had about 5 car lengths by 160 kilometers an hour.I let off and he flew by."Maniacs,I think this is how the guy must drive cause I never seen him again and I was going pretty fast on the way home too.
My car is in the 13.7-14.3 range.
Why is it that I didnt pull on him like a maniac in the Top end?Is it because we were already moving and he has 200HP?I think its basically the accord engine in a somewhat lighter car so it should run 15.3 at best.
Anyone got any theorys?
Old 07-27-2002, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (vtechatch)

Both of you are maniacs
Old 07-27-2002, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (97hb)

Why are you talking about MPH then KPH in the next sentence?
Old 07-27-2002, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (LSDelSol)

Becasuse I didnt look at the speedometer,I just estimated 55mph.I just got the jdm cluster 2 weeks ago so I dont really know what 55 mph is in kilometers.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:22 PM
VTEC

a little under 100kmh me thinks
Old 07-27-2002, 11:02 PM
New User

I kept it floored all the way to about 210 kilometers an hour
Kind of funny since your jay-dee-emm gauge cluster should only dial up to 180kmh...
Old 07-27-2002, 11:37 PM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (EG6-SiR)

actually it's 185 km/h mr.eg6

also.. read this...
"This is a JDM Honda Civic Black Meter Cluster. SH4/EG4.
Meant for '92-'95 Civics.This Meter Cluster has 220km/h on speedometer. "
Old 07-28-2002, 12:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (DxHatchback)

that looks like 190kmh to me
Old 07-28-2002, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (tonyxcom)

That is how my cluster looks, except it is from a hatch, instead of a sedan. I always wondered if the sedan, or coupe had a different kph on the speedo. I guess not.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:32 AM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (tonyxcom)

my bad

Old 07-28-2002, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so you think a b16 in a hatch will run you a 13 second 1/4?
hahahaha

[Modified by KAMiN, 3:01 AM 7/28/2002]
Old 07-28-2002, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (KAMiN)

Yeah,I ran a 14.7 with the motor stock and 2 mismatched tires,Since then I got cams,Header and drag radials,I will run A 13 second 1/4 mile like this,You got a heavy coupe and/or dont know how to drive.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The speedometer went about 20 kilometers worth past 190 so thats how i estimated.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah,I ran a 14.7 with the motor stock and 2 mismatched tires,Since then I got cams,Header and drag radials,I will run A 13 second 1/4 mile like this,You got a heavy coupe and/or dont know how to drive.
then its not STOCK
change your sig.

dont paper race me eithre. my car is ALOT heavier than yours.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today on my way home on the NJT in the Paramus area I was tooling along at about 65 mph in the left lane when I spotted a 97ish Acura Cl coming at about 100 Mph.
I wanted to rubber band him so by the time he was 3 cars behind me I threw it in 4th and gunned it.After about 2 seconds he was no longer pulling away but was about 15 cars ahead,I kept it floored all the way to about 210 kilometers an hour and he was about 9 cars ahead.We hit a patch of traffic and I noticed it was a 3.0 CL V6 with 200 HP.So now that we were both at about 55 mph he tried to pass me buy I gunned it and had about 5 car lengths by 160 kilometers an hour.I let off and he flew by."Maniacs,I think this is how the guy must drive cause I never seen him again and I was going pretty fast on the way home too.
My car is in the 13.7-14.3 range.
Why is it that I didnt pull on him like a maniac in the Top end?Is it because we were already moving and he has 200HP?I think its basically the accord engine in a somewhat lighter car so it should run 15.3 at best.
Anyone got any theorys?
In the top end, weight is not as important as in the 1/4 mile.

To a good top end the essentials are good aerodynamics and power!
Remember sedans have a smaller Cx than hatches, so they can go faster!
Old 07-28-2002, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (KoRn_vIRuZ)

I checked it out and 210 kilometers an hour is 130mph,whats the top speed on a Civic si?It was still pulling I just got scared.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Racing like that is just plain gay. This post seems to be too.....
Old 07-28-2002, 05:38 PM
New User

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (DxHatchback)

I know it's 190km/h mr podantic, but the written scale only goes up to 180km/h...
At the time i wrote that, i figured people like you would jump down my back as the written scale only goes up to 180... some people u just can't please...

Owning an 92 eg6, i am familiar with the gauge cluster that it comes with...
Yes I have a pretty picture of an sir cluster too...

Feel better?
Old 07-28-2002, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (EG6-SiR)

he has alot more torque than u
Old 07-28-2002, 07:16 PM
HT White Ops

Why is it that I didnt pull on him like a maniac in the Top end?
This is a no-brainer! Hatches have sh!tty aerodynamics with that flat *** rear-end of theirs. The faster you go, the more vacuum you have to overcome. What creates the vacuum? The body design. What can you do about it? Nothing.

After x miles per hour [not sure what that is with a grocery-getter hatch body] you will 'hit the wall.' To go faster than 'x', you will have to double your horsepower for every 5-MPH increase in speed. This is a matter of fact, not opinion...

Anyway, THAT'S the problem!
Old 07-28-2002, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Why is it that I didnt pull on him like a maniac in the Top end?

This is a no-brainer! Hatches have sh!tty aerodynamics with that flat *** rear-end of theirs. The faster you go, the more vacuum you have to overcome. What creates the vacuum? The body design. What can you do about it? Nothing.

After x miles per hour [not sure what that is with a grocery-getter hatch body] you will 'hit the wall.' To go faster than 'x', you will have to double your horsepower for every 5-MPH increase in speed. This is a matter of fact, not opinion...

Anyway, THAT'S the problem!

Word, its cause of that patch of low pressure air you're carrying behind the car because its not streamlined. I dunno about the power, but I figure my car won't ever be going more than 140 max with all the work I plan to do, so its why I didn't let it bother me when I bought the hatch.

I had a similar experience with a 3.2 TL NON-Type S before, and he didn't even pull on me until 100 starting at 55mph.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:20 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (fOmaNPu)

Word, its cause of that patch of low pressure air you're carrying behind the car because its not streamlined.
Yeah, well, however you wish to think of it. This isn't a college term paper.

The fact is, when you drive a car down the road you are punching a hole in the air. Ideally, you want the frontal area to be as small as possible, so you don't have to punch a bigger hole than necessary, and the rear-end [ideally] should be tapered to allow the hole you created to close as smoothly as possible. With a hatch, the hole remains formed well behind the car and it just gets bigger the faster you go, creating more and more vacuum as your speed increases. And, it takes a LOT of power to overcome this vacuum at high-speed.

When you put your hand out a side window at speed, it isn't the air pressure on the front of your hand that PUSHES it back, it's the vacuum behind your hand that PULLS it back. That's what happens with a hatch. If there was pressure behind the hatch, albeit "low pressure" there wouldn't be any problem...

As an example, let's say it takes 100-HP to hold a hatch at 100-MPH and 160-HP to make it go 130-MPH. At some point, like 160-MPH [or whatever], it'll take 220-HP to overcome the vacuum. Then, it'll take 440-HP to do 165-MPH and so forth. With a flat *** it grows exponentially the faster you go. I can guarantee you that there isn't a motor in the world powerful enough to make a hatch go 200-MPH because of it's bad design.

To be fair, hatches aren't supposed to be sports cars. They are supposedly to be cute little soccer-mom cars / grocery getters / hold-overs from the 70's when ppl thought it was cool to drive around with a surf board hanging out the back window. That's what makes them so fun to mod. It's a logical absurdity! Buy a retro-70s, grocery-getter, soccer-mom car and rice it out. It leaves most non-Honda types scrathing their heads. That's one of the reasons they are Honda haters. They think we are rediculous, when we are actually just being absurd. They don't get it.

I'm going OT now... Anyway, it's the aerodynamics that are causing the problem on the top-end...
Old 07-29-2002, 12:17 AM

This isn't a college term paper.
You said it, not me. Haha

That's one of the reasons they are Honda haters. They think we are rediculous, when we are actually just being absurd. They don't get it.
To each their own, I like my little hatch and since I'm not concerned with going any absurd speeds where I'd have to worry about exponential drag and whatnot, I don't care.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:34 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Confused about something. . . . (fOmaNPu)

I like my little hatch and since I'm not concerned with going any absurd speeds where I'd have to worry about exponential drag and whatnot, I don't care.
Okay, no problem. I'm posting for the ppl who do care. Here's the topic:

Why is it that I didnt pull on him like a maniac in the Top end?Is it because we were already moving and he has 200HP? Anyone got any theorys?
You said it was because of 'low pressure' behind the car. I said it's because of a 'vacuum' or 'negative pressure'. We're kind of splitting hairs here...
Old 07-29-2002, 10:31 AM

My daddy can beat up your daddy.

No, I totally agree with you, we're getting at the same concept, just by a different approach. You're probably more right than I just because I have an elementary understanding of physics.