Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo

Hi, I recently installed the Comptech rear sway bar tie bar combo on my EK, and I have been hearing knocking noises coming from the rear everytime i hit a bump. I double checked all my bolts, and everything is tight and torqued to spec. I think the sounds may be coming from the endlinks, because they have two ball joints that can move quite a bit.

For those who also have this setup, do you guys have any sort of noises coming from your rear endlinks? I've heard of some stories about Comptech endlinks before...

If it is the endlinks, I think I am going to try to swap on some SI or EX endlinks, and if that doesn't fit on the comptech bar then get a 22mm or 23mm ITR bar for the rear.

here's my setup however, it is annoying me with knock knock knock every time i hit a bump.

also....SRR LCA's fade over time!
Old 06-24-2003, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (Airbag Club)

So does the tie bar act as like a mounting bracket/point for the sway? And what size is the sway bar?
Old 06-24-2003, 01:52 AM

Check to see if the anti-sway bar is hitting your exhaust. Its a common problem.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (rob d)

Make sure that when you tighten the endlinks, you use an alan key too. You can keep tightening that 14mm nut til the cows come home, but it will just keep spinning unless you have an alan key to lock the bolt in place. Might not make sense now, but when you get down there to look, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!... OH YEAH!!!

Best scene ever
Old 06-24-2003, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (fowleryo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fowleryo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!... OH YEAH!!!

Best scene ever</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!!! I can't believe you know what thats from- awesome, Family Guy owns all. I was inspired after watching hours of DVD goodness
Old 06-24-2003, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (ill phil)

Is that on the Season 1/Season 2 DVD box set? I have it and haven't seen that episode yet

Gotta start watching it again
Old 06-24-2003, 05:06 AM

Mine are noisy too. Just make sure you tighten them with the car on the ground at their certain height 3.25" if i remember correctly. I have yet to have someone in the back seat that didn't mention the noise.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (RacerXI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerXI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine are noisy too. Just make sure you tighten them with the car on the ground at their certain height 3.25" if i remember correctly. I have yet to have someone in the back seat that didn't mention the noise.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your car also squeaks like a pack of mice live in the trunk, but that's ok my car just sounds like its falling apart when i hit bumps.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fowleryo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is that on the Season 1/Season 2 DVD box set? I have it and haven't seen that episode yet

Gotta start watching it again </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, it's in that box set. Hours and hours of fun right there.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Comptech 22mm rear sway without the tie bar, but I have the Beaks kit. I thought something was wrong with my car until now. My car makes knocking noises as well, especially when the chassis is flexed from side to side.

I have SI endlinks, so if you are thinking that will solve your problem it won't.

I did notice my bolts were loose the other week so I tightened them and that helped rid of lots of noise coming from the sway bar, but it still makes some noise.

I guess that is just the deal?
Old 06-24-2003, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (96 SOHC VTEC)

i too have 22mm sway bar in the back..and to get rid of the knocking noises...go to pepboys or autozone..and get about 3inch of 1/2 diameter rubber hose. splice the tube...and with the two halves...place one on each side on top of the lower control arms...right below where you think the sway bar might make contact with the lower control arms. also check if the endlink is hitting the exhaust pipe. that will help eliminate most of the knocking sounds.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (cinq)

i have a lot of clearence between my sway bar and exhaust piping...i've double checked all my bolts and everything, and still can't figure out the sound....i might uninstall just the endlinks, and see if it is really the endlinks that are making all the sounds...i might just keep the tie bar, sell the sway bar and endlinks and switch to si endlinks with a itr bar if it is the endlinks causing all the racket...
Old 06-24-2003, 11:36 AM

your sway bar is hitting your LCAs. in that pic, your car is jacked up on stands and it looks close to the LCA. imagine when you lower your car back down. your LCAs raise up toward the sway bar. so when you hit bumps, causing your LCAs to raise, it hits the sway bar. checck to see if you installed the sway bar the right way. if its on there right, then you have to raise your car up.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it installed on my ek also. I notice that you didn't put the teflon tape on the swaybar. That could lead to squeeking noise, also your exhaust problaby is the cause of the noise..
Old 06-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (deviant1)

my old skunkworks bar started hitting my lca's once I switched over to itr lca's. So I sold them. I am looking into this setup now hopefully I will have enough clearance....
Old 06-24-2003, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (superflea)

My car doesn't hit at all. It squeaks a lot though.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for the guys with the swaybars from comptech they say that its adjustable. when adjusting to different setting/tightness? do actually feel a difference or no?

noise? i have no clue i don't have any swaybars!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rcntype)

My friend has the Comptech rear bar they all clunk due to the fact that the bar is so stiff i have a ITR 22mm and it clunks all the time sounds like something is loose but we checked pried everything is tight.

JOSH
Old 06-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMCRX)

i wrapped teflon tape around the bar twice under the bushings....my exhaust is way clear of the bar, and my exhaust is all stock....i am still thinking it is the endlinks, but i have been too lazy to take them off....
Old 06-24-2003, 08:26 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (AresB16A2Turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AresB16A2Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car doesn't hit at all. It squeaks a lot though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats cause you didnt grease ur bushings
Old 06-24-2003, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (TURSpoonEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURSpoonEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats cause you didnt grease ur bushings</TD></TR></TABLE>

No no I did. It only lasted a couple of months though. Now every time I do it, it lasts only a week.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (AresB16A2Turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AresB16A2Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No no I did. It only lasted a couple of months though. Now every time I do it, it lasts only a week. </TD></TR></TABLE>

did you wrap the bar with teflon tape under the bushings?
Old 06-25-2003, 01:53 AM

i bet the swaybar is hitting your LCA's, here's a pic of the same bar installed on a car from the comptech website

compare that to how close your bar is, and think of how much closer it is when the car is on the ground. i say do the rubber hose thing like suggested above, it wont stop it from hitting the LCA's, but it will stop the clunking. good luck
Old 06-26-2003, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (Btown_99Si)

If the bar was hitting the LCA's then it would be obvious from marks on the LCA's or the sway bar, correct?
Old 06-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo (bitzbp)

yeah that is correct, that is what happened to me....not with this setup though....

Quick Reply: Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Bar Combo