Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

compression problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compression problem

Well. I have had problems with cold starts, in when I start the car in the morning(not matter the weather) I will have to hold the gas down for a few minutes or the car will idle barely or die. But when it warms up, I can drive it with lil to no problems. Well I finally decided to look into the problem. I did a compression check, 3 cylinders are 150 and 1(the one closest to the distributor) has 90. I have gotten alot of opinions, but no true answer yet. I replaced the head gasket 2 weeks ago(2nd time, since that was my first idea, long story). That didnt help. Checked all the gaps on my valves(feeler gauge and they were exact to specs). And when the head was off, the mechanic said there was no cylinder wear and i would hope if he noticed a valve that was damaged. I believe it is a valve problem, but what do ya'll think is my problem? Thanks in advance. And its a d16z6 motor with 70-75k miles on her.

PS> I have a valve spring on that cylinder that has some blue color along the top two coils, all the others dont have anything like that, fyi
Old 11-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compression problem

help please
Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: compression problem

I'm doubting your compression issue has anything to do with your cold start problem. The cold start issue is likely your FITV or your coolant temp sensor.

The compression problem can be narrowed down easily... pour a little oil in that cylinder and then do your comp. check if it comes up then you know its your rings not sealing well. If it doesn't change then its probably a valve not sealing. It could also be a crack in the valve seat on that cylinder or a bent valve, both very difficult to see with the naked eye.