Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Completed Rear Disc Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Completed Rear Disc Conversion

Well, after months of putting it off I finally did my rear disc conversion. I was going to do the front also, but two of my friends could not make it. I left the 3030 Prop Valve and 13/16" Master Cylinder on as well, but I do have a 4040 PV and a 15/16" MC lying around.

This post is to encourage other people who have never done major work to their cars and want to do a rear disc conversion. This was my first time doing this and was really enjoyable. I searched H-T for days aquainting myself to the procedure that this project involves. Those who are afraid of doing this by themselves, don't be. It can be done with simple tools:

- 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm sockets + ratchet
- 3 inch extension is helpful
- 10mm open end wrench
- Philips + flathead screwdrivers
- Needle nose pliers (which I used to remove the brake line clip)

Of course you need to jack up the car. It was a bitch because there wasn't much room. There's a lot of tar underneath my car and a lot of it ended up in my hair. Had to cut my hair afterwards. I suggest getting some goggles or something because there's a lot of debris that falls into your eyes.

I was planning to swap out the prop valve and bought a 10mm flared nut wrench. The wrench was a piece of **** and kept spinning the nut. Good thing I stopped before it fully stripped. I have the stock 3030 prop valve and the brakes are pretty good. Little better over stock.

The most stressful part of the conversion was the ebrake cables. I remove the three bolts for the brackets. Little to my knowledge was that there were two bolts that were the same and one bolt was slightly longer. I was trying to put the smaller bolt into the middle bracket. I was struggling a good old 20 mins before I figured out that there was a longer bolt and it worked better. After that, I had to unscrew the tail end of the ebrake handle in order to feed the brake cables into the bracket.

Well, after I bled the brakes a few times, put on my tires, I took it around the block to break in the brakes. There's a small difference in braking power, but nothing spectacular until I get my front Integra brakes, 15/16" MC, and 4040 PV in. Took about 3 hours with just me and my friend.

Here's a picture... I ended up getting Brembo cross drilled/slotted rotors. I wanted to get cheap blanks, but found out that they weren't cheap at all here in Hawaii. For about the same money or less, I got these rotors. Consider this my rice.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Completed Rear Disc Conversion (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Consider this my rice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And the rims . J/K Gotta love the discs. I know I do. Nice

-Shane
Old 07-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
...underneath my car and a lot of it ended up in my hair. Had to cut my hair afterwards. I suggest getting some goggles or something because there's a lot of debris that falls into your eyes.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That happened to me before, lol. The glasses or goggles are always a good investment as well. haha, always overlooked.

for some good information as well.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Completed Rear Disc Conversion (green00EX)

Nice brakes I want to do that some day...... lol
Old 07-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I got a 95 VTEC del sol rear suspension waiting for me to slap on my 97 ex... just don't have the time lol. Really looking forward to it though, good job.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: (Jorsher)

you didnt have any problems with the e-brake cable? everyone i talked to told me that the e-brake was a bitch when doing the rear disc conversions on eg's. also, did you use the stock brake lines and did they fit right on the discs?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:56 PM

i have the exact same wheels. I must say that they look much better with those discs behind them.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (need4speed93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by need4speed93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you didnt have any problems with the e-brake cable? everyone i talked to told me that the e-brake was a bitch when doing the rear disc conversions on eg's. also, did you use the stock brake lines and did they fit right on the discs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only problem was putting back the ebrake cable brackets because of the limited space. I used stock brake lines that came with the discs.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:37 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (BlueIntegraBoy)

Great stuff Nick! You had to cut your hair?!?! WTF?!! lol
Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey, where did you get those rotors from??? i live in kona and need new rotors. how much did you get them for? thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (moomakudafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moomakudafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey, where did you get those rotors from??? i live in kona and need new rotors. how much did you get them for? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

eBay.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great stuff Nick! You had to cut your hair?!?! WTF?!! lol
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, there was tar all over the backside of my head. It reached the scalp and ended up washing my hair 4 times after the haircut.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:45 AM
grammer nawzi

They make such a difference. Way to get it done.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sicky)

good write up im doin the same thing but im leavin the gsr booster and mc off as well as the 40/40
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (clint g)

good diy