Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coldair intakes w/ Bypass or w/o

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coldair intakes w/ Bypass or w/o

What is better, I know if I get a bypass valve it will stop water from getting into your engine. Quiestion is, do I really need?
Old 11-18-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Coldair intakes w/ Bypass or w/o (The_Dam)

I suggest you cut it and make it a short ram, this is what I did and I've never looked back . But to answer your question just get a bypass and keep your fender lining and you should be good for the rainy season.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Coldair intakes w/ Bypass or w/o (d15singlecammer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d15singlecammer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I suggest you cut it and make it a short ram, this is what I did and I've never looked back . But to answer your question just get a bypass and keep your fender lining and you should be good for the rainy season.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said

Running a CAI without a bypass is retarded.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:54 PM

IMO running any CAI is retarded. Stick w/ a short ram and you will be fine. Get a Whale's *****!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1995Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What he said

Running a CAI without a bypass is retarded.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ill second that coming from experience, told i didnt need it and yeah, i did about a year later KABOOM!!! a LOT of money down the drain for not buying a 45 or 50 dollar part.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:40 PM
crazy eyez killa

Default Re: Coldair intakes w/ Bypass or w/o (The_Dam)

get the CAI with no valve. Just dont submerge the entire filter under water. You can get it wet no problem.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coldair intakes w/ Bypass or w/o (DANKOSTANKO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DANKOSTANKO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
get the CAI with no valve. Just dont submerge the entire filter under water. You can get it wet no problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds a lot like the comment a shop owner told me once, and i NEVER believed him again. true you can get it wet and it wont hurt it but its a bit harder to keep it from going underwater than it seems. spend the 45 bux and save yourself a couple hundred or grand or however much you spent on your engine.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so it sounds like from all the opinions that short ram is preferred over cai... why is this? what are the advantages/disadvantages of both?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Coldair intakes w/ Bypass or w/o (isumase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DANKOSTANKO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
get the CAI with no valve. Just dont submerge the entire filter under water. You can get it wet no problem.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude that is like a girl telling a guy he can look but he can't touch. It's gonna happen eventually.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:30 PM
crazy eyez killa

Default Re: Coldair intakes w/ Bypass or w/o (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude that is like a girl telling a guy he can look but he can't touch. It's gonna happen eventually.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude no.

Long story short, it's called hydrolock. You need to submerge the entire filter in order for the engine to suck up water. For example, take a straw in water. If you submerge only half of the tip, do you bring in water?? no. You need to dip the entire tip in to get hydrolock and suck H2O into your engine.

thats about 30" of water for a civic.

If you hit 30"+ of water in a civic, you deserve to blow your engine,

DONT WORRY
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DANKOSTANKO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Dude no. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, no. There are lots of people who have hydrolocked their engines because they couldn't see the huge puddle of water. In certain conditions a huge deap puddle could look like smooth road. I've hit pretty big puddles thinking it was just another part of the road. It's not that hard. Why even take the chance of hydolocking the engine.

BTW, I don't get where you got the idea that I don't know what it takes to hydrolock an engine. What I was saying in my previous post was, you can try and avoid deep puddles all you want, but sooner or later your gonna hit a puddle and your done for.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Coldair intakes w/ Bypass or w/o (SOHC4life 96)

I'm with Brad, why risk your engine because you want to run a CAI. To be honest my car is A LOT more responsive with a short ram. Plus the ease of mind is tremendous during rainy days. Do a search and you will find a great number of people hydrolocking their engines because of a small puddle.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:16 PM
crazy eyez killa

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d15singlecammer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> To be honest my car is A LOT more responsive with a short ram. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Responsive? Yes.

Faster? No.

I've driven in El Nino with a CAI and no splash guards. I bet it can handle a few puddles.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:23 PM

Never said it was faster, after all its just a tube with a filter. Who really gives a ****. All I am saying is that it's not worth taking the risk. Sure it could take a few puddles but why take the risk, eventually you will run into a deep enough puddle on the side of the road. Not saying it will happen, but why worry about that risk.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:13 AM

Well, thanks. I think I'm going with the Bypass, I ran a ram, and loved, just seem to give me what I wanted. So CAI w/ Bypass is the way I'm going.... Soldier
Old 11-19-2005, 01:13 AM

eff it buy a used comptech cai