Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cold Air vs Short Ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air vs Short Ram

I have a 2000 Civic EX that I want to upgrade the intake. Any suggetions on which type and brand? More upgrades are on the way, but right now I'm starting with this and the suspension. I've looked at the K&N Typhoon, I just want to make the right move the first time.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Cold Air vs Short Ram (rknop)

youre going to get people who say cold air FTW, and you're going to get people who say short ram FTW....

i say ITB's FTW
Old 05-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Cold Air vs Short Ram (. r i c h 9 9 0)

I hate to say it, But I have no idea what you said!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:08 AM

he is saying, you should just keep the stock air intake for the win! ROFL haha
Old 05-05-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Cold Air vs Short Ram (yikezitzjayr)

Why?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

CAI=water in engine
SRI=hot air
ITB=buttseckz
Stock=cheap and quiet
Old 05-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

search been covered 1 1/2 billion times +1
Old 05-05-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (EK_B)

hemm because you are a noob, and you dont know what you are doing! haha.. sike but naw just do a cold air intake! and when you see a puddle of water, make sure you hit that and let it splash on your filter so that it cools your filter and piping down! and dont worry, if water gets in there! because it wont!!! thats what the filter is for! and lastly when you are about to drive.. spray somewater on your intake because it will give you alot of performance on each run! FTW!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:31 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: (yikezitzjayr)

get a 1 piece cold air and cut it right as it enters the hole to your fender well, then put a mushroom style filter facing straight down with the coupler above the hole, and mushroom snug against the top of the hole. Assuming you aren't tooling around in water up to your headlights, this should provide the "best of both worlds", thats how i had my na d16 setup and followed my friend through the same puddle, and only one of us lost an engine...
Old 05-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yikezitzjayr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yikezitzjayr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hemm because you are a noob, and you dont know what you are doing! haha.. sike but naw just do a cold air intake! and when you see a puddle of water, make sure you hit that and let it splash on your filter so that it cools your filter and piping down! and dont worry, if water gets in there! because it wont!!! thats what the filter is for! and lastly when you are about to drive.. spray somewater on your intake because it will give you alot of performance on each run! FTW! </TD></TR></TABLE>

good advice should really LOCK! some good performance with that! lol
Old 05-05-2007, 09:40 AM

CAI is the direction that I'm leaning.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:56 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

If you go cai, do as i said...
Old 05-05-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Cold Air vs Short Ram (oneludesol)

Do you think the K&N Typhoon is O.K. or do you have another in mind?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:13 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

i think the typhoon is short isnt it? any cai that goes to the fender will work
Old 05-05-2007, 10:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Yikez itz Jayr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hemm because you are a noob, and you dont know what you are doing! haha.. sike but naw just do a cold air intake! and when you see a puddle of water, make sure you hit that and let it splash on your filter so that it cools your filter and piping down! and dont worry, if water gets in there! because it wont!!! thats what the filter is for! and lastly when you are about to drive.. spray somewater on your intake because it will give you alot of performance on each run! FTW! </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow. no comment.

But for the noob. http://www.modsearch.com/artic....html

A pipe is a Pipe. As far as research and design goes, I don't know weather to believe it or not. Even if they have dyno charts, it could be they're running it with the hood open and fans blowing, etc. The most important part is probably the filter. You get a cheap ebay filter, you're reducing the life of your engine.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Cold Air vs Short Ram (Rainy City)

hey rainy city... IM me... i got yours from last night mhen i opened this morning.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Cold Air vs Short Ram (Vaw7er)

The barnd of the intake doesn't really matter unless you need something carb legal.

if it doesn't rain much where you live, get a $30-50 intake off of ebay and slap a K&N on there.

If it does rain, go with a short ram or but a bypass valve on your CAI.

CAI will net you better throttle response, but a CAI makes a cooler noise.

But if you want to get fancy, I hear the whale ***** intake is something to behold.

http://www.procarparts.com/sto...oreDB
Old 05-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cold Air vs Short Ram (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But if you want to get fancy, I hear the whale ***** intake is something to behold.

http://www.procarparts.com/sto...oreDB</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yea i have one on my car. they're pricey though. had i not go it for like 100 bucks (and it was in PERFECT shape) then i iwouldnt have picked one up. but they sound awesome and for a short ram seem to make good power.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: Cold Air vs Short Ram (Pr0ject93hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pr0ject93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha yea i have one on my car. they're pricey though. had i not go it for like 100 bucks (and it was in PERFECT shape) then i iwouldnt have picked one up. but they sound awesome and for a short ram seem to make good power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The link i posted has them for $60.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you get a CAI just get a Hydro shield and call it a day

I opt'd for a CAI
Old 05-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rknop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 2000 Civic EX that I want to upgrade the intake. Any suggetions on which type and brand? More upgrades are on the way, but right now I'm starting with this and the suspension. I've looked at the K&N Typhoon, I just want to make the right move the first time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

An aftermarket intake system, is just a filter on a hollow stick, you will barely notice any gains or difference other then sound, and possibly gas mileage, if you had a force induction vehicle, then you may feel some difference. But since your car is an N/A and stock at ~125hp at the crank, you'll probably see around ~4hp or less, Get any intake system, if your car is completely stock, get cold air, if you get short ram you'll get most of the engine heat and wont get much air from the atmosphere since the engine bay cluttered and slight any space for air to go around in the engine. Now if you get a CAI, get a bypass valve if your worried about hyrdolocking during the rain, but that require your intake to be submerged in water to really get the car hyrdolocked. Spending $150+ on a intake is bs IMO, get a generic intake tube and filter, where it can be fitted correctly and you'll be all set. And save up more money for engine parts that are more responsive then an intake. GL
Old 05-05-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Re: (solbrothers)

Go with the AEM CAI with the bypass so u get the best of both worlds cold air and no water.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (EKjdmCTR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKjdmCTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go with the AEM CAI with the bypass so u get the best of both worlds cold air and no water.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Why pay for AEM?

That bypass filter can be bought seperately and he can use a $12 ebay pipe and get the same thing.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

I have a 00 civic si, and I used to have an AEM Cold Air.

I recently switched to an AEM short ram, and I love it. I live in Florida where it rains everday in the summer, the streets flood in minutes.. So I figured it's not worth the "extra power" to have the cold air, now with the short ram I dont have to worry about seizing up my motor whenever it rains.

Also the Short ram sounds 2 times better, if you are going for sound. It has a much deeper and louder tone than the cold air. It also has improved my gas mileage DRASTICALLY, believe it or not.

I was doing some searching on the web, before I got my short ram.
I found this site which tested about 20 intakes, about half being cold air, half being short rams. All of the short rams made much more power throughout the power band than most cold air intakes. The only time the cold air makes more power is at the "AEM CURVE" which is right around 4-4.5k RPMS. After that it was not making any power than stock airbox at all.

Here is the site:

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml

Click on whatever intake you want to see on the right hand side.. you can see the peak HP it made, and look at the dyno sheet for each intake ("dyno sheet" under pic of intake once you click on it). You can also go to "complete results" and see how all of the intake stack up against each other.

It's up to you, but I prefer the AEM short ram. I got mine brand new on Ebay for $60.

Good luck on whatever you decide on.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kaluwa3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaluwa3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 00 civic si, and I used to have an AEM Cold Air.

I recently switched to an AEM short ram, and I love it. I live in Florida where it rains everday in the summer, the streets flood in minutes.. So I figured it's not worth the "extra power" to have the cold air, now with the short ram I dont have to worry about seizing up my motor whenever it rains.

Also the Short ram sounds 2 times better, if you are going for sound. It has a much deeper and louder tone than the cold air. It also has improved my gas mileage DRASTICALLY, believe it or not.

I was doing some searching on the web, before I got my short ram.
I found this site which tested about 20 intakes, about half being cold air, half being short rams. All of the short rams made much more power throughout the power band than most cold air intakes. The only time the cold air makes more power is at the "AEM CURVE" which is right around 4-4.5k RPMS. After that it was not making any power than stock airbox at all.

Here is the site:

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/1/1_intakes.shtml

Click on whatever intake you want to see on the right hand side.. you can see the peak HP it made, and look at the dyno sheet for each intake ("dyno sheet" under pic of intake once you click on it). You can also go to "complete results" and see how all of the intake stack up against each other.

It's up to you, but I prefer the AEM short ram. I got mine brand new on Ebay for $60.

Good luck on whatever you decide on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^ X2 short ram BUT with a

http://www.bpinitiatives.com/

well when you take your car too the track you can always remove your head light and get best of both worlds

but personally i also am a fan of the short ram!

Quick Reply: Cold Air vs Short Ram