Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coilovers / lowering problem??? or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers / lowering problem??? or something else?

Hi!

A month ago I lowered my car... Bilstein shocks + Eibach springs since I want my car to be lowered all the time...

It is a 2 inch drop all around...

Everything was fine until I went to some garage to get an alignment...

There were some minor adjustments done, but all in all, everything was normal... they also adjusted the front camber which was 0'35'' left and 1'02'' right... after the alignment it is 1'00'' on both sides...

Then 5 days after, I started to hear this sound coming from my front wheels...

It's a kind of WHOUUUUUU sound when I'm driving... deep deep WHOUU... all the time... it's not like WHOU WHOU WHOU WHOU WHOU... it's just WHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUU...

It is very very similar to the sound that new tires produce when driving on the new built roads but it is slightly deeper and louder...

Like I said, it sounds like it is coming from the tires but I CANNOT bet on it...

My other guess is the wheel bearings... how do they sound when they go bad?

I must state that I DIDN'T hit any curb, hole or anything like that... the car was driven only on city streets... Tire pressure is fine on all 4 wheels...

Suspension: Bilstein + Eibach - only... (no camber kits or anything like that) w/ 1500 miles
Tires: Dunlop SP3000 195/50/15 w/ 1000 miles
Rims: Momo GTR ET38 w/ 1000 miles

Now, could it be the bearing problem?
Suspension problem (like bad camber, since it was adjusted)?
Anything else?

Please help!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coilovers / lowering problem??? or something else? (KKVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now, could it be the bearing problem?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like it. I've had them go whu whu whu at speed with rotation before, as well as make a constant noise. There's a possibility that it might be your CV joints, but I'd check the bearings first, it's the most likely cause.

Old 08-23-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Coilovers / lowering problem??? or something else? (EX_AutoXer)

How can I know if they are gone?

There is no clicking sound or anything like that... I used to hear from people who had bad bearings that there was a clicking sound, loud grinding and similar...

But this is no grinding... just WHUUUUUUUUUUUU
Old 08-24-2004, 02:43 AM

Bump tadadadada bump tada
Old 08-24-2004, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How can I know if they are gone?

There is no clicking sound or anything like that... I used to hear from people who had bad bearings that there was a clicking sound, loud grinding and similar...

But this is no grinding... just WHUUUUUUUUUUUU</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, depending on how bad they are, you should pull the wheel off and spin the hub to see if you can hear anything.

Have you checked the tire wear? It's also possible that you're tires are making more noise becuase of uneven wear, or different wear patterns from being dropped.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Coilovers / lowering problem??? or something else? (EX_AutoXer)

Well, the tires are practicaly new... only 1000 miles on them and I don't see any abnormal wear...

The only thing I noticed about tires is that when I drive for a while and stop and I look at the tires, there is a black stripe on all 4 tires on outter corner... like the tires are rubing against fender.. but they are NOT RUBBING cos there is more than enough space between fenders and tires...

That is the only tire "question"... Where does that black (like it is rubbed) marks come from???

And I also feel that they are hot too the touch... (only the front tires)... maybe not HOT but definitely much warmer than rear tires...

I don't have any steering issues, brake issues or anything...

I.E. if I drive like 80mph, I take my hands off the steering wheel and the car goes straight like a bullet... then I hit the brakes really hard (with my hands OFF the wheel) and the car stops without any clicking noises and while braking, there is NO vibrations and the car goes straight as well...

The other thing I noticed that when I'm braking and the car gets more pressure to the front wheels, this sound gets a bit louder...
Old 08-24-2004, 06:44 AM

I just went to the mechanic and we raised the front of the car...

To make the story short... it is the right wheel bearing starting to go bad...

It is not destroyed yet, and the mechanic says he gives it aprox 10.000 miles before it goes all the way...

I guess I will just wait a few weeks and then change both (left and right) bearings...

Thank you EX_AutoXer for your replies

And "thank you" to all other members who "wanted" to help here but their knowledge reaches the "JDM/swap" mark and exceeding it would mean going backwards in terms of progress...
Old 08-24-2004, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KKVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
To make the story short... it is the right wheel bearing starting to go bad...

I guess I will just wait a few weeks and then change both (left and right) bearings...

Thank you EX_AutoXer for your replies
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No prob. Glad I could help, and that you got the problem solved