Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coiled clip onto inner tie rod dust seal boot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coiled clip onto inner tie rod dust seal boot?

Having trouble getting this circular coiled clip on the end of the dust seal boot. I tried pushing the clip over and onto the boot, but its to tight. I also tried using a snap ring pliers to open it up a little and it deformed the clip.

Attached is picture of the deformed clip and the dust seal boot. This circular coiled clip is similar to a key ring. Anyone have any pointers on installing this clip? Should I have put the coiled clip on the boot before I placed the boot on the inner tie rod/rack?
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Coiled clip onto inner tie rod dust seal boot?

looks like it has a grove big enough for a zip tie ! nothing wrong with using a zip tie on those some of the part store kits come with them. I run those style ones on my DD jazz and track car no issues yet. those clips made me want to break something.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
looks like it has a grove big enough for a zip tie ! nothing wrong with using a zip tie on those some of the part store kits come with them. I run those style ones on my DD jazz and track car no issues yet. those clips made me want to break something.
\

Thanks for replying B_Swapped93. Yes, the groove is big enough for a zip tie, but I am paranoid that the side of the locking square hub of the zip tie will eventually wear a hole in the boot. I did not know zip ties came with some part store kits. I am glad I am not the only one frustrated with the clip.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost all of the aftermarket bellows (those boots are called bellows btw) come with a zip tie instead. Most cars don't use that clip, but rather a hose clamp and the new boots are never the same size as OEM which is why a zip tie comes with it.

Those clips are really hard to put back on. On those rare occasions where I've reused them, I ended up putting the clip on the boot first, putting lube all over the inside of the boot hole, then sliding it down the shaft and working the boot over the groove.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slomofo
Almost all of the aftermarket bellows (those boots are called bellows btw) come with a zip tie instead. Most cars don't use that clip, but rather a hose clamp and the new boots are never the same size as OEM which is why a zip tie comes with it.

Those clips are really hard to put back on. On those rare occasions where I've reused them, I ended up putting the clip on the boot first, putting lube all over the inside of the boot hole, then sliding it down the shaft and working the boot over the groove.
Good info, thanks for your input. I will probably just use a zip tie.