Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Code 14... searched.... NEED HELPFUL INFO!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 14... searched.... NEED HELPFUL INFO!!!!!!!!!

Sooo... here's my story...

I've been throwing a code 14 for a long while... and when i drive it, the idle goes back n forth from 800rpm-1600rpm... during that time period, i can still drive my car fine.. it's just annoying as hell listening to it. Then once the engine starts getting warmer (prolly 5-10 minutes into driving it)... the rpm's go back and forth from 1500rpm-1600rpm.. and it becomes VERY difficult to drive. I've been driving with it like this for about 8 months now.. and finally i decided to do something about it cuz it was just getting harder and harder to drive.. to the point where i couldn't even do 1st OR 2nd gear.
SO.. I take off the iacv and the thing seemed to be rusted shut/open? one of the 2. (water had gotten into it a long time ago.. and i never acted upon it..) so i went and just bought a whole new throttle body cuz i found one that was about $70 cheaper then buying the iacv itself. I put that on.. and same old ****.
My question is... that I know there are things that could cause the code to be set off, and i'm wondering if anyone knows specific things i should be looking at. I know cracked hoses could be one reason... any thing else??

HELP WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED HERE!!!!!!!!! I'm about to go insane with this damn car!!

Thanks,
Sheena.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Code 14... searched.... NEED HELPFUL INFO!!!!!!!!! (pink hatchy)

did u tried cleaning the iacv? reset ur ecu. unplug the ecu and plug it back up.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Code 14... searched.... NEED HELPFUL INFO!!!!!!!!! (Ignitecivic)

IT'S BRAND NEW..

AND I RESET THE ECU N ALL THAT TOO..

Old 07-23-2005, 03:13 AM

Okay with a known working IAC.. what else can throw this code? Is there anyway to just bypass this thing?
Old 07-23-2005, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the setup? ECU, engine, wiring harness, chassis....all that stuff.

Just because a part is new doesn't mean squat to the ECU 'if' the device isn't doing what's suppose to be doing. If the idle is up that high, you more than likely have a vacuum leak. Since the vacuum leak is causing the idle to raise to a point where the ECU can't command the IACV to bring the idle back down to spec - whos fault is it....the ECU or the IACV? And there is your code...

So no amount of new IACVs will fix this problem - it isn't the problem to begin with.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Code 14... searched.... NEED HELPFUL INFO!!!!!!!!! (EE_Chris)

It's all stock.

And I didn't find any vacuum leaks...
Old 07-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try to check to see if the wires are short.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Code 14... searched.... NEED HELPFUL INFO!!!!!!!!! (Ignitecivic)

wires are good. I think there is a hair line crack on the radiator where the upper house meets the rad. But ill have to double check in the daylight. If there is maybe thats allowing air to get in and set off the code. But as i was messing with the inlet inside the TB, if i close it off alittle the idle becomes stable. So i have no idea at this point
Old 07-24-2005, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the set up...one last time? Its fine that its stock, but stock what...92 Civic...96 Civic...what?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pink hatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But as i was messing with the inlet inside the TB, if i close it off alittle the idle becomes stable. So i have no idea at this point </TD></TR></TABLE>

You have a vacuum leak, more than likely.

If you thought it was the coolant system, bleed it.

Have you tried correcting this problem via the idle air adjustment screw on the throttle body (or the throttle plate stop screw)? You may have thrown things more out of whack by doing so.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pink hatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So i have no idea at this point </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh woe is me. So search and learn. Here is a hell of a site:LINK You may want to take a look at the IACV section. You may also want to buy a Helms or search for an online version.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:26 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

That was happening with mine and it was because my throttle cable was sticky. I would put my foot UNDER the gas pedal and softly pull it towards me and that fixed it. I also adjusted my idle adjustment screw and that made it better as well.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Code 14... searched.... NEED HELPFUL INFO!!!!!!!!! (JDM-EJ1)

hmm.. so last night i decided on dropping my car off at someone's house for a couple of days so that they can take a look at it... and it was the weirdest thing, cuz right when i got there... the code went away. It's been riding smooth ever since. finally.