Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch and transmission questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and transmission questions...

Well, I finally tore the tranny out of my 94 EX today. Needless to say the car needed a clutch since it wouldn't move at all in any of the gears. One side of the clutch had completely shredded all of the material off of it and the other side didn't have much left on it either.

Now, I've got a couple questions. Can the Honda flywheels be resurfaced or is there not much material to really resurface one? I take it the Honda's don't use a pilot bushing or pilot bearing? Any tips or suggestions when doing a clutch replacement?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Clutch and transmission questions...

Yes you can resurface it, many times.

Get a stage 1 clutch.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
Now, I've got a couple questions. Can the Honda flywheels be resurfaced or is there not much material to really resurface one?
You can, everyone does it, although honda basically says don't, your call, but if the clutch came out the way you said it did you should probably replace the flywheel, its probably scored and warped quite badly.

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
I take it the Honda's don't use a pilot bushing or pilot bearing?
They use a pilot bearing, clutch kits often but not always come with a replacement, if your kit doesn't come with one buy one.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the problem is that I think this flywheel is done for. It's kinda wavy and has some high and low spots to it that you can feel pretty easy, much like a bad brake rotor.

I would get a stage 1 Exedy, but I just ordered an Exedy OEM kit for 90 bucks shipped. This clutch is just temporary replacement until I tear the engine and transmission back out this winter and do my turbo build. Then I will replace it with something much stronger.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I took the tranny to the powerwasher today and degreased the **** outta it and drained all the old tranny fluid out of it. Going to try and get it ready so that when the clutch gets here it will all be ready to go. I was debating splitting the case and resealing it while I'm in there too.

Is there anything else I should do besides replace the disc, pressure plate, rear main seal, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, grease the splines and clutch fork, resurface the flywheel, and change the tranny fluid?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no issues with the tranny? if not then leave it alone, if it aint broke dont fix it......especially if you are planning on tearing into it later.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I won't mess with it then.

Now all I'm wondering is what else I should replace before I put it back in. I was thinking of putting new axles in the car. I think I'm just going to put new aftermarket ones in from Advance Auto, that way when I turbo the car and break them I get free replacements. I was told that stock axles can pretty easily handle 350 WHP as long as you're not wheel hopping the **** outta them.

I also know I'm going to inspect my motor mounts because I'm pretty sure a couple of them are torn and need replacing. lol
Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I got my clutch kit in today, but it's the wrong one. The kit says it's for a 2001-2005 Civic, kit # KHC08. The one I apparently needed was a 08022. On Exedy's website it says that they're the same spline and tooth count and the same size diameter, but I'm thinking that the bearings won't be the same. I told the person I ordered it from that it was for a 94 Civic EX 5 speed but they must have thought it was for a 04 EX.

Anyone know if it'll work or not?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A couple updates. The KHC08 kit does in fact work for the 92-00 EX oddly enough. The bearings fit perfectly and the pressure plate and disc work correctly too. I checked them to the stock stuff I pulled out and it's the same stuff. Apparently the KHC08 kit is like an upgrade to the 08022 kit from what I was told.

Also, I ended up pulling the rear main cover and oil pan from the car too. I decided since I was getting this deep into things I might as well replace the leaking oil pan gasket and re-RTV the rear main cover since I was replacing the rear main seal anyways. Also, I ordered a distributor o-ring to re-seal that also since it was starting to leak.

I also had the flywheel resurfaced. The place I took it to checked it over and said it had never been resurfaced and that it would be perfectly fine to resurface. They measured it and it was still far within specs. I've always had good luck with that local shop when doing flywheels and heater cores and such, and it seems they will keep my return business.

Decided it would be best to do a couple drain and fills on the trans. Once I get it all back together I'm going to fill it up, drive the car for a bit, then drain the fluid back out and replace it. The fluid that was in the trans was quite shitty, and after doing all this cleaning to it and having it sit I want to make sure it's fresh inside and ready to go. I'm also going to be Seafoaming the oiling system in the engine since the car has been sitting for a while.

Other than buying my new axles I think I should be pretty well off. Today I'm going to head out to the garage and do some more cleaning before tomorrow. All my gaskets should be in tomorrow so I should be ready to put everything back in. Wish me luck.