Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch issues or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issues or something else?

Ok, my clutch is acting wierd. It was alright this morning and then I decided to gun it cuz it was just open road. I was revving pretty high and then I made a turn quickly. After I made the turn, I smelled something like a burnt transistor and my clutch was acting wierd like it wouldn't grab or nothing. I was able to drive but it wouldn't grab. So I took it to the shop and they drove it, instantly they said clutch.

Would this be new replacement on new clutch or not? Shop is charging $600 bucks for a CM Stage 3 with install... decent price?

Ok... now for the noob questions (no flames please). I just want the most life out of my new clutch.

1. On stop lights, should you shift into neutral or leave it in gear with foot on clutch? Will that screw up or wear on the clutch?

2. I usually drive and revmatch most of the time... does this strain the clutch?

The old one I have was a CM Stage 3 as well... shows how I drive

Please provide me with answers to my questions. Please no flames because clutch went out the same day as my battery and my alternator so go easy on me, I've had a rough day...
Old 11-22-2003, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Clutch issues or something else? (Pikachu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pikachu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. On stop lights, should you shift into neutral or leave it in gear with foot on clutch? Will that screw up or wear on the clutch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it will wear the clutch very prematurely. put it into neutral at a light; get in the habit of keeping your foot away from the clutch pedal - the dead pedal is your clutch's best friend.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pikachu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2. I usually drive and revmatch most of the time... does this strain the clutch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it does. but revmatching is the proper way to downshift; don't do what most idiots do and just slowly let the clutch out - this wears your clutch plus it puts unwanted stress on your tranny. you could do what i do and double clutch: blip the throttle while in neutral and with the clutch engaged.

if your going through stage 3 clutches like this, you might want to turn down your driving agression a little bit. but clutches are expendible - save your tranny. how much torque is your motor putting out?
Old 11-24-2003, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spoke to some ppl and they said it was definately the clutch gone bad. They also said a stage 3 was a bit too aggressive and causes clutch to wear faster. Also I must tone down my agressive driving or I'll be on my next clutch in 2 months.