Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch Fork noise & Transmission sound, Normal? D15z &

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon5 Clutch Fork noise & Transmission sound, Normal? D15z &

A couple months back I replaced the clutch & master, because of a leak and an annoying sound. But lately it has been re-occuring the same sound i've had before replacement. I been doing research and i'm positive it is within the slave cilinder, or the clutch fork because you hear it. I just sprayed some WD40 within the rubber boot @ the slave, and i'll d rive it later see if it has made any difference. If this is a solution, would you guys recommend to pull the boot out or atleast as far as it'll let me to grease the inner part? I did put copper grease on the ball of the slave cylinder during replacement.

But!!! Doing so, pumping the clutch to test it i've suddenly noticed a sound i've never paid attention to within the transmission. Its not even a noise, but I just want to make sure whether it is normal or not. When I press the the clutch pedal, the engine runs SUPER smooth, you hear NOTHING but an healthy engine. When I release the clutch pedal and pay REAL attention to a sound, I was hearing a tiny whirling sound coming from the transmission. I kinda feel like it is a normal thing, but i'd rather be safe than sorry and be aware of a in the future deceasing Transmission! Lol..... Having to add that the car has only 115k Miles on it and has been well maintained, afaik!! I do drive it hard occasionally, but hey.. Who doesnt right!

Its an D15Z engine with an S40 transmission
Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Clutch Fork noise & Transmission sound, Normal? D15z &

Normal, there is lots of bearings and parts rotating in the trans. Sensitive ears can hear that and it's normal. Just like sensitive ears can hear first gear whine that is less notable in higher gears, it's normal.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Clutch Fork noise & Transmission sound, Normal? D15z &

If you're talking about a squeaking from the transmission area when you press the clutch pedal, even with the engine off, that is probably from the pivot ball on the clutch lever. I don't know if it is possible to grease it with the transmission installed. Probably you could use some of the grease in a spray can with the extension tube.

Like TomCat said, some noise from the transmission when it has the input shaft rotating in neutral is normal. If it gets too loud you would consider replacing bearings. Of course be sure the transmission is full of fluid.