Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cluster and back light wont come on

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster and back light wont come on

well out of no where my cluster and my back lights stop working... so then i replaced the fuse and it still wont do anything... my signal lights inside the cluster works and stuff... and also my lights in the back work when i brake signal etc.... but when i just drive and dont signal or brake theres no light... what would be the problem??? i even replace the fuse. it would be greatful if you guys help
Old 12-31-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Cluster and back light wont come on (ackavong)

i have the same problem man. mine turn on if i let the car warm up. i dunno why but it only does this in the winter too. any help here would be nice. i just gotta find an electrical diagram.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:47 AM

If just the taillights & dashlights are inop. but everything else is working, you can bet the problem is the contacts in the headlight combination switch. If it's only a cold weather issue you can carefully open up the switch and clean some of the gummed up grease out of the contacts. If the contact looks burned....replace the switch.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Cluster and back light wont come on (OldTopTech)

how do u remove the headlight switch cover to get to the switch so i can clean it. thanks.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cluster and back light wont come on (92civichatch1)

well my just started being like this last night... it was being weird... where would the switch be???
Old 12-31-2005, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the fuse also keeps on burning now... what could it be???
Old 12-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Cluster and back light wont come on (92civichatch1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92civichatch1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the same problem man. mine turn on if i let the car warm up. i dunno why but it only does this in the winter too. any help here would be nice. i just gotta find an electrical diagram. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This right here tells me it's a problem within the switch itself (the left arm used to turn on your parking/headlights). I have an '87 Accord, ever since I bought the car my lights wouldn't turn until my car was warm, now this included my dash lights and parking/headlights.

I never knew what it was, all my fuses were good, everything checked out. I wound up replacing the whole turnsignal/windshield wiper assembly and that fixed the problem. There is some 'greece' within that switch that makes it work. After a while, the 'greece' loses it's potentency. I would try replacing the switch.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cluster and back light wont come on (JDM-EJ1)

everything is good now i fixed it... thanks guys
Old 12-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

HOW did you fix it?

What was the prob.

FYI for everyone else...

If you're blowing fuses its almost DEFINATELY a pinched wire.. usually between the lower console and the dash...

If it's just intermitant and the fuse never blows it's almost DEFINATELY the connectors going into the cluster...

as mentioned above you can take out hte cluster and clean all the connection points with alcohol as well as the connections on the connector from the harness as well...

I haven't looked too specifically at the connectors but usually you can pry them EVER SO SLIGHTLY and get them to make a better contact patch again there by eliminating the problem. You can also pack the connector/harness with di-electric grease which will make a better contact as well.

ALSO as mentioned above there is "di-electric" grease inside the turn signal switch (although this would not affect ONLY the cluster lights and tail lamps it WOULD howver stop the lights from coming on AT ALL).

If the cluster AND tail lense parking lights are the only ones affected it is DEFINATELY a problem within that cicuit... Meaning only the fuse, cluster, or wires in between could be causing the problem. If it were the combo switch on the driver side; the headlights/front parking lights would also not come on.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cluster and back light wont come on (NonovUrbizniz)

what i did is just go through my center console and unplugg and plug and check all the wires and i just put everything back to where it was supose to be and it start working again but now my lights for my alarm wont work when arming/disarming it even when the fuses are good
Old 12-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

You almost definately had a wire pinched which was shorting out the fuse...

If I were you I'd go through all the wires used in your alarm and make sure they're well connected and sealed.

It's a PITA but if you didn't wire that yourself and it's acting up god knows what else was poorly wired... Possibly something that's not fused... and that is DEFINATELY something you don't want.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cluster and back light wont come on (NonovUrbizniz)

i didnt wire it myself.. and the connection was all good alarm work fine until the cluster and back light didnt work.. then i plug the wire from the alarm that makes the lights blink and i plug it back in and now it doesnt work.. and i dont even know whats going on cause everything else works.... fuses are good too