Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clicking from driver's side when releasing clutch pedal....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 04:27 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking from driver's side when releasing clutch pedal....

I searched and found about 50 threads dealing with clikcing on 99-00 Si's. 99% of those where stupid CV joint problems being asked over and over. I don't think mine is though.

Mine does it whenever I shift gears and let up on the clutch. ANY gear. And it only does it when I first let up on the clutch. Usually a couple of metalic clicks right back to back. It seems to be coming from the driver's side. If I'm driving around in 2nd gear and I tap the gas pedal a couple times to see if it does it, it doesn't. But if I'm driving, in let's say 3rd gear, and I shift to 4th and let go of the clutch as soon as I hit the gas I get the clicking. Also when I downshift back to 3rd it does it. But only once.

Any ideas? It's gotta be clutch related I'm thinking. CV boots aren't ripped. Hell, they look brand new still. No clicking when turning either unlike the other 50+ "clicking sound" threads.

Sorry. It's a 00 Si with 50K miles on it.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:27 PM
H-T White Ops

allrightythen
Old 02-29-2004, 11:26 AM
H-T White Ops

One more. Come on people. Somebody's Si is making clicking noises.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

throwout bearing....
Old 02-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2lua)

is the clicking when you get on it? or get off it? Some CV's click when you step on the gas and pull the car foward, or let off...
Old 02-29-2004, 04:01 PM
H-T White Ops

Only when I firt let off the clutch and give it gas. Like I said, if I'm driving and I tap the gas a couple times to make the car jerk it won't do it. Only when first putting the car in gear and letting go of the clutch.
2lua you say throwout bearing. Is this a guess or do you know for a fact that this happens. Reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be getting a vortech kit this summer and I'm in the market for a new clutch right now anyway. I'm thinking the Exedy organic right now but might go the ACT route. Either way a new clutch is going to be going in there anyway. I don't want to replace the axles unless they're shot.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Clicking from driver's side when releasing clutch pedal.... (IslandSi)

Believe it or not, I don't think your problem has to do anything with the drivetrain. I had a problem of metallic clicking/popping noises coming from the transmission (so i thought). It seemed to happen everytime I shifted and when I coasted. Then go away when I pressed down the clutch. I thought for sure I need a new clutch. During this time I wanted a tune up and ended up changing out the distributor cap and rotor, believe it or not this eliminated the clicking noise completely. I have concluded that this particluar clicking noise is caused by a worn distributor that results in a misfiring cyclinder. The popping noise is actually coming from missed timing from the distributor when the engine RPM flucuates. IE. when you change gears, accelerate or deaccelerate. Let me know if that works?
Old 04-01-2004, 08:27 AM
H-T White Ops

It's just a single metalic click though. It happens when I shift from reverse to first and the clutch is getting ready to be all the way out. When I push the clutch in to shift to 2nd now and then again when I give it gas in 2nd. I'm starting to think it's the CV. Any time power is applied it does a click and when letting off the gas there's usually a click. Almost like there's some play in there somewhere that shouldn't be there.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:59 AM
CTL
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

i also have this problem....a b16a2 swapped in my 97ex. it clicks on the passenger side, when i put it in gear and take the foot off the clutch and give it some gas it will click in first and second gear....... it may be the input shaft bearing..... i'm not sure but when my car is up on jackstands and if i spin one wheel the other doest move....