Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clearing my valves, how much drag should i feel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clearing my valves, how much drag should i feel?

so i have already done a clearence check and adjustment on my valves in the last month but i can obviously tell that its outta spec, its clicking fairly noticably. so my question is how tight do i want the rocker arm pushing on the feeler gague thats against the valvespring retainer? should i crank it down till i can't move the feeler then back it off a little? how much drag should i feel? thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:00 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: clearing my valves, how much drag should i feel? (tek_civic)

put the feeler under the adjuster screw as it's loose, then righten down onto the feeler while moving the feeler back and forth.

Once it take a little bit of force to keep it moving, tighten down the 10mm lock nut, then see if the feeler gauge slides in and out without TOO much trouble.

With the ZEX cam you're running though, I would adjust them to the tighter specs. Either way though, your cam is going to make more noise then stock...basically, it's going to sound like your valve lash is off...but most likely it's good.

After doing so, do a compression check and that could tell you if a cylinder needs to be adjusted again. One time I gained 15psi in one cylinder by adjusting the valve lash again

Edit- anytime you replace the cam you will HAVE to adjust the valves right away. Also, with the agressive lift on the cam, I suggest adjusting every 10k miles or so if you drive hard
Old 05-03-2003, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: clearing my valves, how much drag should i feel? (Emerika)

hey thanks, yeah i adjusted it like a day after i installed the cam, and it sounds like there is some lash but i could be wrong. i wish i had a compression testor handy, but i don't yet have one. do i need a special one to fit down that tube into the plug socket or will just any ol one do? i assume i need some type of connector or something. tnx
Old 05-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: clearing my valves, how much drag should i feel? (tek_civic)

compression testors come with about a foot of tubing, which will make it down the tubing with ease. I use a Craftsman one, which has 2 different size threadings for different styles of plug holes...

go to http://www.c-speedracing.com and go to the "How To's"

how you like the cam so far?? Does it pull good with the 50 shot?