Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clarification on checking CEL codes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 06:01 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clarification on checking CEL codes.

ok, I know how to check the codes from reading and whatching the video posted by JDMlyfestyle here but I have never done it until yesterday and have a quick question.

After putting the paper clip in the plug and turning the key, the light comes on for two long blinks and then has two REALLY fast blinks that are very hard to see (the light doesn't light up all the way like it does in that video, only about 1/4 of it's brightness if that). So does this mean those REALLY fast blink count as two making it a code 22 or should I ignore those since the CEL didn't fully light up which would make it a code 20?

Has anyones else had this happen? I just want to know if this is normal and I should count those as 2 quick blinks?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Clarification on checking CEL codes. (TouringAccord)

that is weird, i have never heard of that happening but I would stick with guessing that it is a 22.

20 Electrical load detector
22 VTEC pressure valve

I would check them both and see if there is a way to test if it is either of them. Sorry if that isn't much help, and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clarification on checking CEL codes. (civiccpedx)

Make sure, if you using a paperclip, that you shove it all the way through there. It should light up the same way that your CEL would light up if something was wrong. If its not all the way down then it would not show right and probably give you a bad reading.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Clarification on checking CEL codes. (Luserkid)

I am using a paper clip but I did push it in there are far as it would go but using a paper clip isn't the best fit. I have a complete harness from the chassis of my totalled Accord, I might see if I have a female 2-prong plug in there and just cut and loop the wires and then use that for checking my CEL. That would give me a solid connection.

The thing I find wierd is that the long blinks light up nice and bright as normal but those short blinks are hard to see. If the long and short blinks were hard to see then I would say it was a bad connection but since one is normal and one is dim it confused me. Also, I did it three times and each one was the same result.

Do you think I should find a plug and try that, do you think it was a bad connection?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:28 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Clarification on checking CEL codes. (civiccpedx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
20 Electrical load detector
22 VTEC pressure valve

I would check them both and see if there is a way to test if it is either of them.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for what they meant but I got that from that same thread as the video, thanks though. I was kinda thinking I would just have to go throught the process of checking both but was hoping I wouldn't have to.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:03 AM
H-T Order of Merit

ok, I found a 2-prong female plug in my old harness and looped the wires to make my own CEL checking plug. I took pictures and video. I'll try and load it shortly so you can see what I mean.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:20 AM
H-T Order of Merit

ok, here are two pictures of the plug I made.

When I checked it again, the CEL flashes the same brightness as it did with the paperclip. I also noticed that there is 1 short flash by itself indicating a #1 O2 sensor correct? This single short flash is very difficult to see as well. I think it's even harder to see than the two that flash in the code 22.

I took a video as well so you can see how dim the CEL flashes, but it's in Movie format (ImageStation only accepts MPEG format) and I don't know how to convert it over to MPEG. So if anyone can convert it over for me, I'll email it to you and then you can email it back and I'll upload it to ImageStation and then post the link. So if someone can please help me out I would appreciate it. TIA