Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Weird Overheating Problem Head Gasket? Need to fix before winter!!! :o HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Weird Overheating Problem Head Gasket? Need to fix before winter!!! :o HELP!

This is my second thread for this problem. I have searched this forum countless times for a similar problem but keep coming up empty

Hi. My girlfriend has a 93 civic cx hatchback (Manual). The car can be driven for approximately 500 miles and then begins to overheat.

There are the symptoms:

- Overheats after 350-500 miles of driving
- Radiator is (for some reason) slightly bellowing out on each side. I replaced the radiator with a new one and this one is starting to do the same thing!
-The radiator cap hisses just a bit when the car is parked. This is the third radiator cap (all brand new) that I've tried.
-When the car does overheat, it only requires about 2 quarts of antifreeze to fill up the radiator.(weird ) Then overheating, turning on the heat brings the temp down to a normal temp and that is when I re-fill the radiator.
-I smell a hint of antifreeze when the car is parked after running.
-he car is running 50/50 pre-diluted antifreeze. It began to overheat about 6 times in the last month and a half so I just put water in. The color of the antifreeze is still green though, so it is still diluted.
-The heater controls work fine. There are no visible leaks. I replaced the thermostat about a year ago (kinda right before this all began).
-Cooing fan works. Car will overheat at moderate to high speeds.

Please, I need some advice on what this could be. I need some incite.

-I feel like there is a build up of pressure in the system that is causing the radiator to bellow out and the cap to hiss.

-I dont know why the car begins to over heat so bad when there is still a significant amount of fluid in it. Again, It's overheated numerous times. I put water in to fill the radiator everytime. The coolant is still green and seems to just be less diluted.

-I don't know if it is a head gasket or not. Could it somehow be linked to the thermostat (i cant see why but maybe)? Should I try to flush the system with some kind of special chemical?

-I was thinking of running without the thermostat for a little while and see if the problem continues... Would that rule out a head gasket if there are no problems?

I am a bit confused. This is the only Honda that I cant seem to fix. Please give me some advice. Thanks!

-Justin
Old 10-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Civic Weird Overheating Problem Head Gasket? Need to fix before winter!!! :o HELP! (Jwbetley)

Unfortunately, it does sound like the head or head gasket is bad. I think exhaust gases from combustion may be entering the cooling system through a small breach in the head gasket. You might want to do compression and leak down tests of the four cylinders in an attempt to detect this possible leak.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Civic Weird Overheating Problem Head Gasket? Need to fix before winter!!! :o HELP! (Jwbetley)

From the info you have provided I would say most likely blown headgasket. When the engine is cold remove the rad cap, crank the engine over, if coolant spews out the top you've got a blown headgasket. If so find another engine, once they overheat, especially repeatedly your just wasting your time putting in a headgasket, its just going to blow again.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Weird Overheating Problem Head Gasket? Need to fix before winter!!! :o HELP! (94EG8)

I figured that the exhuast was causing the pressure in the cooling system. I dont think I am going to attempt the head gasket. I avoid changing composite head gaskets as most people probably do.

I am going to try stop-leak or something similar. I have a friend who swears by the stuff (assuming the driections are followed to a T) and the car isn't driven hard at all. That should hopefully get me through the winter and into the spring. Maybe then I can throw another engine in. I'd love to ditch the 8 valve! It's just uncomfortably slow...

[QUOTE=94EG8]When the engine is cold remove the rad cap, crank the engine over, if coolant spews out the top you've got a blown headgasket. QUOTE]

Should I be cranking it with the spark plug wires removed? Thermostat removed?

Thanks alot for the advice. I am open to more
Old 10-11-2008, 04:44 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jwbetley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Should I be cranking it with the spark plug wires removed? Thermostat removed?

Thanks alot for the advice. I am open to more </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, just crank it over, usually coolant will spew out the top before it even gets a chance to start. Stop leak is junk IMO. If it were me i'd just pull the engine and drop in a JDM SOHC, dirt cheap and low mileage, what more could you ask for.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you notice white smoke coming out of your exhaust or a sweet smell when the car is warming up? also, have you checked your oil? as in does it look like pudding/caramel?
shitty job but dont put stop leak in, my neighbour did the exact same thing and right after wards he lost his heat inside the car ( most likely blocked the heater core).
Old 10-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Weird Overheating Problem Head Gasket? Need to fix before winter!!! :o HELP! (Pothole987

I do smell a sweet smell when it warms up, Definitely. I always assumed it was from the antifreeze that is hissing out of the radiator cap.

I am going to find another engine soon. I'd like to look around for some low miles, cheap, and something with a metal head gasket. Also something 16 valve and 1.6.

I have read a lot on stop leak. It can really mess up your car if used incorrectly; and yes, it will often block heater cores. The engine should be thoroughly flushed with water. Not a drop of antifreeze should be in the system or the solution will clump. Also, many people run the stop leak through the cooling system with the heater core closed. A simple radiator hose can be used to by-pass the heater core if need be. I am gonna try it because many people do have luck with it. It's worth a try.

Modified by Jwbetley at 2:23 PM 10/12/2008