Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which civic should i swap???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which civic should i swap???

First off i would post pictures of both my cars if it wasn't so comlicated to upload them on here. But anyways i am the proud owner of a 92 hatch, and a 95 ex civic. I have save up the money to swap a b18c1 into one of the cars and need a little help on choosing.
However, the kicker in the situation is that the 95 civic is baby blue, body kit, shaved license plate, headlights, tailights, hood,, lowered, exaust spoon steering wheel, and other little stuff, but the engine is fried since last summer(CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELTS!!!!)The car is not gauky at all, just clean.
The 92 hatch is teal with a little side damage nothin bad lowered and 200,000 miles on the body and 130k on the enigine.
regardless i am goin to have to sell the one i dont swap, I like the way the hatch drive but the coupe looks good.
Just lookin for some opinions..
Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Which civic should i swap??? (whiteboy06)

burn the coupe, swap and gut the hatch my.02
Old 03-28-2008, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Which civic should i swap??? (egmatt93)

hatchback FTW!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Which civic should i swap??? (whiteboy06)

Make sure you get an OBD1 B18C1 then the swap should be pretty plug-n-play for both civics. However it will be much easier toswap that motor into a civic that already has VTEC (especially if your wrenchin it yourself, your stock engine harness will require little to no modification if thats the case). As far as hatch or coupe... thats pretty personal man... decide what you would like to do with the car first because performance wise i'm not too sure how different the cars will be... i would go with the hatch tho
Old 03-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which civic should i swap??? (albertaEK)

swap the hatch. use the old motor and swap that in the coupe. sell the coupe. get money. fix hatch.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gut the coupe and swap all the good stuff into the hatch
Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (rpared01)

Why do so many people go with hatchback civics?Personally I like the 4 door because its more practical and has more space than the coupe or hatchback but is there something mechanically better about hatchbacks or what?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fryman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fryman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do so many people go with hatchback civics?Personally I like the 4 door because its more practical and has more space than the coupe or hatchback but is there something mechanically better about hatchbacks or what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whiteboy06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But anyways i am the proud owner of a 92 hatch, and a 95 ex civic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because he said that he owned the cars already. Why would he go with a 4 door if he already has a car he is proud of??

Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hatchbacks weigh less and look very clean when finished. 4 doors always have that. eh, feel to them.

Im a proud owner of a b16a hatch (nothing amazing, going boost in few months) And after owning a hatch and driving it, id never go to anything else.

EH/EG FTW!

i agree with bpk. Swap the hatch, put the old engine from the hatch in the ex, sell the ex for some cash, take the cash and make the hatch fast and clean, and you'll be very happy you did.

Also, hatchbacks have more storage room (cubic inches of air space) than the ex, meaning you can store more and haul just as many people.

haha

Old 03-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (meandino)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meandino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because he said that he owned the cars already. Why would he go with a 4 door if he already has a car he is proud of??

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I wasn't saying he should get a 4 door I was merely expressing that out of the three types of civics I think the 4 doors are best and asking why so many people go with hatchbacks.I've never thought them to be very attractive so I just don't quite understand the motives for getting one.I never rode in one so i don't know how they drive so perhaps they have better handling but even if thats true I don't think I would get one.Just my opinion.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah if you swap into the hatch it will be faster than it would in the coupe (hatch weighing less as was stated earlier). but im rocking the coupe. also doing a gsr swap in a couple months. id go with the coupe.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fryman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wasn't saying he should get a 4 door I was merely expressing that out of the three types of civics I think the 4 doors are best and asking why so many people go with hatchbacks.I've never thought them to be very attractive so I just don't quite understand the motives for getting one.I never rode in one so i don't know how they drive so perhaps they have better handling but even if thats true I don't think I would get one.Just my opinion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like your one of few people that like the 4 doors. In my opinion, I don't know who on earth would get the 4 door and fix that up to go race with. Its more of a family car to me. It has all that extra weight that everyone tries to shave off. Coupes and hatches are freaken sweet. I guess you have no real taste if you think the hatchbacks are not attractive.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:40 AM

yea those hatches are light.Once you go hatch you never go back... well maybe sumtimes!lol
Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 AM

Default Re: (faxshatch)

Ya i would swap it in to the hatch! And Fryman i have a love for the 4 door to but i still wouldnt make it into a race car. The dx 4 doors are lighter than the Si hatch so u can make them into a fast grocrey getter! And i like the coupes but with the body kit and baby blue... just not my thing im more of an oem girl. Its all personall opinion. So go with what you like
Old 03-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmtunerchick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmtunerchick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya i would swap it in to the hatch! And Fryman i have a love for the 4 door to but i still wouldnt make it into a race car. The dx 4 doors are lighter than the Si hatch so u can make them into a fast grocrey getter! And i like the coupes but with the body kit and baby blue... just not my thing im more of an oem girl. Its all personall opinion. So go with what you like </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah fryman, don't let anyone try to tell you what to like. But at the same time, return the favor.

OEM rules
Old 03-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meandino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like your one of few people that like the 4 doors. In my opinion, I don't know who on earth would get the 4 door and fix that up to go race with. Its more of a family car to me. It has all that extra weight that everyone tries to shave off. Coupes and hatches are freaken sweet. I guess you have no real taste if you think the hatchbacks are not attractive. </TD></TR></TABLE>

4 doors is lighter then a si hatchback.

dx 4dr ~2275lbs. plus has extra doors for the passengers.
lx 4dr ~2319 and has all power features except no sunroof.
si hatchback ~2326

too each his own

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpkmrtoes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">swap the hatch. use the old motor and swap that in the coupe. sell the coupe. get money. fix hatch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

listen to him
Old 03-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which civic should i swap??? (albertaEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by albertaEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure you get an OBD1 B18C1 then the swap should be pretty plug-n-play for both civics. However it will be much easier toswap that motor into a civic that already has VTEC (especially if your wrenchin it yourself, your stock engine harness will require little to no modification if thats the case). As far as hatch or coupe... thats pretty personal man... decide what you would like to do with the car first because performance wise i'm not too sure how different the cars will be... i would go with the hatch tho </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just a little FYI, His hatchback is a 92, So he does NOT have to wire Vtec, as all 92 Civic hatches came pre-wired from the shock tower to the ECU. Consider yourself informed

I'm biased, cause I own a 92 CX Hatch, that I just dropped a B18B1 into, so of course, my vote goes to the hatch. That and long-term, EG Hatches seem to be holding their value REALLY well as of late.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hatchback ftw
Old 03-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which civic should i swap??? (Dasfinc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dasfinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just a little FYI, His hatchback is a 92, So he does NOT have to wire Vtec, as all 92 Civic hatches came pre-wired from the shock tower to the ECU. Consider yourself informed </TD></TR></TABLE>

I did not know this. So all the 92 hatch Civics have the Vtec wires already ran to the ECU just not to the engine only the Si, and VX models? Can you provide prof? How about the coupes, are they the same or not? Did they even make the EX model in 92, or did it start in 93 for the coupes?
Old 03-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love my 94 coupe, but you cant beat the looks of the hatch..... and the coupe is HEAVY... i dont need to repeat what everyone else is said... you own both outright ... i think you know what you need to do