Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic radio harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic radio harness

So some genius cut the stock radio harness on my civic, idiots. I'm looking on eGay, but need to know is it a male or female harness. Thanks
Old 06-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic radio harness

Never mind, my oem radio had a female port so stands to reason it's male. Correct me if wrong
Old 06-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have any junkyards close to you? You can get the factory plug from there real cheap.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, but they sucks. They want prices similar to Honda and won't part anything out. They would more than likely make me buy the entire harness. They also won't let you go look at anything. All you can do is tell them what you want and they get it.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its male but what I did to obtain mine was go for a parts run and cut the harness out of a stock stereo and "accidentally" put it in my shoe lol and since I bought a bunch of parts they didnt expect anything, they wanted like 35 bucks for it....
Old 06-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that's just it, they won't let you go into the yard here. You have to just tell them what you want and they radio it in for someone to get it. Really sucks because you never know what they might have just rotting away back there that you could use.

It just dumbfounds me why anyone would cut it to begin with, it's just stupid. The part is all of $5 and will save you a ton of time from having to hard wire it in. Maybe I can find someone parting a car on here and get it on the cheap.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know if you need it, I got a yard nearby run by some really cool guys and I could get you it cheap. Anyone in the Quad City area of Illinois and Iowa, check out Bridgeway.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Apparently they changed the plug after 98? All the plugs I have found show either for 96-98 or 99+. Found a 99+ for $6 shipped, so hopefully it's the right one.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
It just dumbfounds me why anyone would cut it to begin with, it's just stupid. The part is all of $5 and will save you a ton of time from having to hard wire it in. Maybe I can find someone parting a car on here and get it on the cheap.
I cut the one on my old Civic. I don't see what's the big deal, hardwiring the 12 or so wires on that harness is cake, and saves $5 and a run to the store. Also, even with most of the $5 harnesses you still have to hardwire the aftermarket stereo harness into the $5 conversion harness.

"It just dumbfounds me why anyone would" want to put the stock radio back into their Civic when a nicer one has already been installed (which must have been the case since your harness was cut). What other reason would you need the plug to still be there for?

Anyway, not sure if you'll need this or not for anything but there's a wiring diagram in here...
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/466005.pdf
Old 06-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I cut the one on my old Civic. I don't see what's the big deal, hardwiring the 12 or so wires on that harness is cake, and saves $5 and a run to the store. Also, even with most of the $5 harnesses you still have to hardwire the aftermarket stereo harness into the $5 conversion harness.
The problem comes mostly after you've installed 6 different stereos in the same civic and everytime that dash harness gets shorter and shorter everytime till you can hardly get in far enough to splice the wires. That and if you use the aftermarket harness all you have to do is color match the wires and you can do all your wiring on the workbench instead of in the car.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The problem comes mostly after you've installed 6 different stereos in the same civic and everytime that dash harness gets shorter and shorter everytime till you can hardly get in far enough to splice the wires. That and if you use the aftermarket harness all you have to do is color match the wires and you can do all your wiring on the workbench instead of in the car.
Yup this was my problem, I actually had to tear the grey dash thing off to get at the wires they were so short.....
Old 06-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"It just dumbfounds me why anyone would" want to put the stock radio back into their Civic when a nicer one has already been installed (which must have been the case since your harness was cut). What other reason would you need the plug to still be there for?

Anyway, not sure if you'll need this or not for anything but there's a wiring diagram in here...
I don't know about you, but I can solder on a table much easier than inside my dash. Not to mention what if I sell my car and want to put a OEM radio back in (like I just did with my hatch)? Then you are buying a harness to replace your OEM one that cost more than the adapter to begin with.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey they link does not work.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Civic radio harness

I would think the harness would be the same and would work fine, its not a BMW so the door locks are not seen or regulated by the ecu so you should be fine just hooking them up the same as an EX.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I'm a certified MECP audio installer and I absolutely hate when people do **** like this. There is no reason for it, in no way what so ever would anyone ever bennefit from this. Every time you replace your radio the harness from the car will get shorter and shorter. Yes, when you buy an aftermarket harness you still have to connect about 12 wires but all you have to do is match colors. The factory harness sometimes has way more than 12 wires and uses totally different colors. Unless you have alldata at your disposal, chances are you'll still screw it up. Most people, mechanically inclined or not will NOT do it right. Why the hell would you want to wire your radio inside the dash instead of doing it on a bench. Either soldering or crimping, you are far more likely to not get a good connection trying to wire it inside the dash. It makes no sense. You're a jackass.

Last edited by itsnotfast; 11-13-2009 at 06:41 AM.