Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic HX mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic HX mods

I have a 98 HX, and I love her but I'm getting a little older now and I need to start up grading. I want to do some modifications but not spend a lot of money. I dyno'd the car and came up with 93 horse to the wheels. I would like to do suspension, intake, exhaust, headers, and a short shifter to start. Does anyone have any suggestions? THanks
Old 06-11-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Civic HX mods (andyhurz20)

Save your money and avoid bolt on upgrades. A good I/H/E setup will run you as much as a swap with proven results. I would start with the suspension first and save money for other things down the line.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic HX mods (greenf1)

Like the dude said just save for a swap and work on susp.
Good luck,and if you get some wheels sell me those HXs.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:10 PM

save for a B18c,,
your HX rims pownz
Old 06-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSR-Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSR-Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">save for a B18c,,
your HX rims pownz</TD></TR></TABLE>
NO HX wheels Suck.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: (Skip01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skip01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
NO HX wheels Suck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

to some they look boring... but these 10 pounderz are awsome!

My brother has a 98 EX stock just with short ram intake,
and A friend has a 99 EX stock also with a short ram intake..

I let my brother borrow the HX rims and he pulled him
Old 06-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSR-Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSR-Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

to some they look boring... but these 10 pounderz are awsome!

My brother has a 98 EX stock just with short ram intake,
and A friend has a 99 EX stock also with a short ram intake..

I let my brother borrow the HX rims and he pulled him </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah it was a joke.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:21 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Skip01)

At least swap it to a d16y8 or something, hx motors are horible unless you wonna do a mini me on it.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ABK)

like they all said just use the money for suspension first then swap it. if ur on a budget , go for the d series vtec, if u got cash B series it is.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the best thing to do is decide now what you want to do, save money and do a lot of researching. I have an hx also and I have aem power pulleys, k&n filter in stock box with the resonator removed. If you really want to keep the hx motor an excellent upgrade is the ex tranny, and if you want to really get involved with that you could swap the 5th gears and still keep your overdrive for gas mileage in high gear. Thats what I plan on doing along with a exedy organic racing clutch and a 12.5 lb flywheel.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Civic HX mods (Skip01)

I have the 14in hx wheels but I have snows on them sorry.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Civic HX mods (Kista20)

I would like to keep most of the car intact because I can push the car hard and still get 28 miles to a gallon. So would definatly like to keep the transmission as is.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Civic HX mods (greenf1)

I also have a hole in the exhaust right before the muffler. Along with that I have a pipe bender and a welder. So I was thinking about just custom making an exhuast and was even considering making some headers. I'm not sure that would be worth the effort.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:18 AM

hey kista20, that is the greatest avatar ever
Old 06-12-2004, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys, does the civic coupe's and the hatchback share the same parts..?

thanx..
Old 06-12-2004, 05:20 AM
Electrician

Default Re: (yangtech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yangtech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys, does the civic coupe's and the hatchback share the same parts..?

thanx..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some, not all. Like exhaust, no. Header, yes (if same motor D15B7/D16Z6/etc.) Doors, bumpers, etc...yes. Stuff like that.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic HX mods (4g4drb17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g4drb17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey kista20, that is the greatest avatar ever</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, I have yet to show it to my brother, he's been in afghanistan and iraq, but now hes back in korea.

28mpg with an hx sucks... what kind of driving do you do, mostly city? You should be able to get a lot higher than that. I usually avg. around 33-35 driving back and forth to work, thats like 5 min. from home at 25-35 mph. Now with highway I can get 40 or so, highest I've ever got was 435 miles on a tank. Basically the only difference between the two trannys is third and fifth gears, the hx has longer gear ratios compared to the ex. Also is yours an auto or 5 speed? Another good upgrade is an aem cai, and as for that exhaust you can get a ex header, ex cat, and the rest of it will bolt up, but you have to change your header and cat though. The hx has the cat right on the manifold Then you have to extend the o2 wires for it to reach. I tried to get a custom cat-back for mine and told the shop what I wanted but they just put a new pipe on from the resonator to the muffler, I was mad but then it was only $25 to fix.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lock VTEC in the engaged position for more performance and less fuel economy. then you basically have a d16y7 with roller rockers
Old 06-12-2004, 07:52 AM

"28mpg with an hx sucks... what kind of driving do you do, mostly city? You should be able to get a lot higher than that. I usually avg. around 33-35 driving back and forth to work, thats like 5 min. from home at 25-35 mph. Now with highway I can get 40 or so, highest I've ever got was 435 miles on a tank." Kista20

I actually have never gotten that great of mileage. It's always around 28 . I do have 15x7's on their and I do tend to red line a lot. But I'm not sure because even when I do go easy I don't seem to do that well. I've never really gotten better then a little over 300 miles to a tank. I have the 5 speed too.

The ex headers will fit on the HX? What do you have to do to extend the wires, just splice and connect?

Also if that's the case then can I get any aftermarket headers and exhaust for the HX that is also for the EX?
Old 06-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I still have the factory exhaust on mine but yes you can put any aftermarket exhaust for an ex on an hx, it should be the same as any dx/lx going to an ex exhaust as their cat is up front also I belive. I personally haven't done it or know anyone that has, you can check with Ricey McRicerton, I'm pretty sure he has done the exhaust mod from a d16y7 to a d16y8 exhaust for turbo. There are quite a few people on this board thats done it and there could be a write up about it also.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: West Bakalakadaka St., Durka Durka Mohammed Gihad, WMDs

First off forget the swap. Stick it out w/ the y5. Once you get all the restrictive **** off the HX it will pull on a y8 any day. first off you need the EX tranny. Then new injectors and f/p regulator. Cold air intake will help. and get a bigger exhaust. I'll put it this way; my turbo is about complete and when I get it on I should be running 13's easy. All I have is intake, injectors, f/p reg., and 2.5 custom exhaust and soon to have a 255 lph fuel pump. All my **** I got for real cheap off some of my friends that have done swaps. Junkyard turbo the y5 and forget the swap. All you need is a turbo from a 2nd gen eclipse, f/ mount intercooler off whatever (starion is best but hard to find), BOV, manifold from a CRX (bolts up to the turbo perfectly w/ short runners), and a fuel management system. Don't forget the boost controller. Think of it this way, the HX has a more aggressive primary intake cam lobe than the y8 and it engages at around 3000 rpms instead of 5000 like the y8. Not to mention that we have factory rolling rockers. The only time I'm gonna consider a swap is when I blow this motor up. Oh BTW i'm running an HX. See you all at the track.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Civic HX mods (VogueSilverHX)

do all that same stuff on the y8, and it will pull the hx, i'm not dissing the hx i like em, but it isn't a magic moter
Old 06-12-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Civic HX mods (VogueSilverHX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VogueSilverHX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off forget the swap. Stick it out w/ the y5. Once you get all the restrictive **** off the HX it will pull on a y8 any day. first off you need the EX tranny. Then new injectors and f/p regulator. Cold air intake will help. and get a bigger exhaust. I'll put it this way; my turbo is about complete and when I get it on I should be running 13's easy. All I have is intake, injectors, f/p reg., and 2.5 custom exhaust and soon to have a 255 lph fuel pump. All my **** I got for real cheap off some of my friends that have done swaps. Junkyard turbo the y5 and forget the swap. All you need is a turbo from a 2nd gen eclipse, f/ mount intercooler off whatever (starion is best but hard to find), BOV, manifold from a CRX (bolts up to the turbo perfectly w/ short runners), and a fuel management system. Don't forget the boost controller. Think of it this way, the HX has a more aggressive primary intake cam lobe than the y8 and it engages at around 3000 rpms instead of 5000 like the y8. Not to mention that we have factory rolling rockers. The only time I'm gonna consider a swap is when I blow this motor up. Oh BTW i'm running an HX. See you all at the track. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I like to hear. One of my friends does custon turbos, but will the HX drive train handle it?
Old 06-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic HX mods (4g4drb17)

I JUST finished turboing my HX (2 months later). Let me tell you...this **** pulls HARD. It was a NICE upgrade. Get a plan and stick to it. i knew I would turbo my HX so I gutted it out. Didnt buy any pointless mods that wouldnt be able to be used later. Sure my **** was slow, but I was working towards a bigger goal. Now I am there and it is FUN!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4g4drb17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do all that same stuff on the y8, and it will pull the hx, i'm not dissing the hx i like em, but it isn't a magic moter</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think HX owners feel that the motor is magical or special. Some of us just feel like people write it off without digging into it. The same way people hate on SOHC when they drive DOHC.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Civic HX mods (specv5150)

hey i'm not hating on hx's,its just they have smaller valves an such, if i had a vx i'd stick with it but i wouldn't say i'll pull on d16y8's as a blanket statement, personaly i really want a hx head to experiment with, its just some people seem to think the hx is a wolf in sheeps clothing or something and i just want to point out that thats really not true, roller rockers are nice, but there nice for high lift cams which so far no one seems to produce for hx's, i guess i just want to say beware of the hype

Quick Reply: Civic HX mods