Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic HX with failing CVT - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic HX with failing CVT - What to do?

Whatsup Honda-Tech!! Heard a lot of great things about this forum so I decided to join, and see what you guys are all about. Lets see if you guys can help me out, because I think I made a mistake...

I recently just traded my EG four door 5 spd, for an ek HX automatic. For those of you who don't know, HX's came with either a 5spd, or a CVT automatic. When I first got this car I loved the CVT!! It's very smooth, and I really liked the way it felt. But, I have been reading lots of bad things about these transmissions and today I think I felt what I think is the beginning to end of my CVT. I keep reading about a shaking feeling as you accelerate, and I finally noticed it occurring today. Its not always, but I know its inevitable that it will S*** the bed.

I don't want to put in another cvt being that this deterioration seems to be pretty common for this model. From what I'm reading I can't just put a normal auto in it because of the HX cylinder head (which is designed specifically for the HX) doesn't work with d16z6 automatic. I was thinking a 5spd conversion, but this seems to be A LOT of work on the HX chassis...I'm just trying to come up with some kind of game plan with this car. I like it a lot, but I don't want to be dealing with this again. It drives great, and would like to keep it as my daily driver. What should I do? Would doing a B-series swap be easier then trying to salvage the d-series setup? Any kind of advice on what to do would be extremely appreciated!!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I need advice H-T, help me if you can!

sell it.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
sell it.
Not sure if I want to go down that route yet, but what would you guys sell it for? Its in good shape body wise, and has 205,xxx miles no rust. Also, it has coilovers, and bronze auto-x rims. Only reason I'm asking is because I traded it, I never see any HX's for sale, and I'm still new to the Honda scene.

Again, don't really want to go down that route but don't want to shoot myself in the foot if I do. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

205,000 on the motor!!! I would go for a b-series, I would pay maybe 1700-2200
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This seems to be really about what it is you want to do. If you like the car, then you should look into a swap. If you want a cheap route, go with the 5-speed swap. If you want to get a little more bang out of the car, go with a b series swap. But even with a B series, you should really go for a 5speed swap.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Civic HX with failing CVT - What to do?

Thread titles MUST be subject specific so that members browsing topics can easily understand the tech problem without reading the post:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...12&postcount=1

Please familiarize yourself with the stickies at the top.

Because you are a new member, I edited the title for you this time.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic HX with failing CVT - What to do?

Now, if I wanted to put a B-series into the car would it be harder then normal because its an HX chassis? From what I hear the HX mounts are weird and in order to do a d series 5spd swap, you need to weld in the dx mounts...If I put in a B-series what will I have to do to get it to fit right? And j.w if it is easier to just swap in a b-series 5spd, then to swap a z6 5spd.

I've also never done a swap before, and this is my 2nd Honda. I was DSM guy prior to these cars, so I am still newb status. I am not by any means a newb to cars, but to Honda's swap procedures. So I do think I am capable of doing it myself. I was thinking maybe doing a LS-V setup, and maybe turboing it down the line. Still researching a good turbo platform...I was originally going to do sohc turbo but for some reason it seems to be a lot of work putting a d-series 5spd into the HX.

***Also, if anyone has any good information on converting an automatic to manual please send it my way. This is also a new one for me, and I have never tried doing this before...***