Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic EK Harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic EK Harness Question

what is the cleanest way to do add wirings to a 97 Civic DX without all the messy wiring from cutting and adding wires to the existing DX harness? I need to get the car BAR and so you think I should just swap the whole ECU harness out with the OBD2 Civic Si harness and just ues the Civic Si engine harness?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are you adding to the car that needs to be put into your wiring harness that isnt already there?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

huh? I am planning to do a OBD2 B18c1 swap into my 97 civic DX Hatch and instead of cutting and adding wires. I was thinking about just swapping out the whole ECU harness using the 99 Civic Si ECU harness. everything is just straight up plug and play and not to mention it will look cleaner without having wires running straight to the firewall. So im just asking if that would be easier or just adding wires straight to the ecu would be easier?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hmtcrxsir)

you can't use a 99-00 harness on a 96-98 you have to get a 96-98 EX harness and use that if you don't wanna mess with a bunch of wiring
Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDMCIVICHATCH)

using the EX ECU harness is different because its from D series. I'm planning on doing a B series swap so i need a B series ECU harness. So it make things easier.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">using the EX ECU harness is different because its from D series. I'm planning on doing a B series swap so i need a B series ECU harness. So it make things easier. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I don't think you're ready for your swap as you obviously haven't researchd this much. D and B makes no difference, only OBD's - he's right, a '96-'98 EX harness will work 100% as it's the same EXACT thing (but with VTEC wires) - and will plug into all the B series components (assuming they're the same OBD also).

EDIT:
Although I don't know what happens when it goes into the cabin though, if you'd need to add wires there? ??
Old 09-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

btw, im talking about the ECU harness not the engine harness.

Im saying that if i swapped the ECU harness to a 99 Civic <U> ECU harness</U> and using the 99 Civic Si ECU harness would that make the swap easier.

so you saying that D series ECU harness that leads up into the part where i plug in the ecu will have all the proper pins that's on a B series ecu? no way
Old 09-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you saying that D series ECU harness that leads up into the part where i plug in the ecu will have all the proper pins that's on a B series ecu? no way</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes and No.

If it was an EX cabin harness it would have the pins for VTEC, and yes, it would work 100%, plug right in and work.

Though I don't know about the harness since it's a non-VTEC model - you might need to add cabin wires...it's easier just to wire the entire thing from the ECU than to swap harnesses .

Though yes, B, F, D, H, doesn't matter, same ECU configuration per OBD.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i cant just swap out the entire cabin harness to a 99 Civic cabin Si harness and make the wiring pretty much plug and play?

Yes I understand i can add wires to the cabin harness but I just want a really clean wiring and do not prefer to cut the harness so it look ghetto rigged.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i cant just swap out the entire cabin harness to a 99 Civic cabin Si harness and make the wiring pretty much plug and play?

I just want a really clean wiring and do not prefer to cut the harness so it look ghetto rigged. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Somebody else'll have to answer that for you, I know nothing of swapping harnesses.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

plain and simple, the easiest way to swap harnesses is get an obd2a(NOT obd2b) to obd whatever the hell your b18 is ecu conversion harness and a 96-98 ex engine harness. check ryewire or boomslang and research a bit more. like syndacate said its all about the obd. also check out ff-squad.com for diagrams and such.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i cant just swap out the entire cabin harness to a 99 Civic cabin Si harness and make the wiring pretty much plug and play?

Yes I understand i can add wires to the cabin harness but I just want a really clean wiring and do not prefer to cut the harness so it look ghetto rigged. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cabin harness rewire is supposed to be a virtual nightmare. besides you have zero reason to touch the actual cabin harness. keep in mind what you are dealing with is the wiring on the engine the runs through the firewall(engine harness)and attaches directly to the ecu where you would place the ecu conversion harness(just a small extension really). 96-98 wiring matches 96-98 wiring 99-00 matches 99-00. switch that around and wires will not make correct contact and **** will not work.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchnideas)

if i add wires what is the best way to make it look original and clean on the engine harness side?

how many wires do i have to add for the DX
Old 09-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i add wires what is the best way to make it look original and clean on the engine harness side?

how many wires do i have to add for the DX</TD></TR></TABLE>

Use the '96-'98 EX harness, it'll look 100% OEM on the engine bay side.

EDIT:
Just make sure the engine is a'96-'98, not a 99/00 or the dizzy plug won't match up and you'll have to rewire it.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it will, but what about the wires that i have to add. for example, what about the knock sensor wires? dont i have to add that? how do i add wires so it look original? I dont want it to run straight to the firewall and then to the ECU
Old 09-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i add wires what is the best way to make it look original and clean on the engine harness side?

how many wires do i have to add for the DX</TD></TR></TABLE>

well on the engine harness you will have to add a wire for vtec, change the iacv plug from a three wire to a two wire, possibly a couple other things im forgetting. i think the gsr engine also has extra wiring for secondary butterflies.... its all posted here http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ read up. it helped me a ton. for ease of install if the gsr is obd2b id get an obd2a to obd2b ecu conversion harness... its like 80 bucks from boomslang or 90 from ryewire.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Use the '96-'98 EX harness, it'll look 100% OEM on the engine bay side.

EDIT:
Just make sure the engine is a'96-'98, not a 99/00 or the dizzy plug won't match up and you'll have to rewire it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what this guy said. you wont need to add wires this way, but as i recall the harness new is like 3-400 bucks hence why i went homemade on mine lol. you would still have to convert the ecu wiring
Old 09-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchnideas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well on the engine harness you will have to add a wire for vtec, change the iacv plug from a three wire to a two wire, possibly a couple other things im forgetting. i think the gsr engine also has extra wiring for secondary butterflies.... its all posted here http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ read up. it helped me a ton. for ease of install if the gsr is obd2b id get an obd2a to obd2b ecu conversion harness... its like 80 bucks from boomslang or 90 from ryewire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh ****, I forgot about that.

Yeah, the GSR has IAB's (secondary butterflies) - you'll have to wire them up as well..and yeah, you'll probably have to wire up the knock sensor too, the EX doesn't have one I don't think.

The only thing I could think of is go with an OBD-IIa DC2 GSR harness, that should have all the ****, but you might have to rewire some **** so it'll mate with your car's cabin harness...I don't know anything about harnesses except they're easy to rewire and worthless to swap. I can't be of anymore help in this thread....peace..
Old 09-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so pretty much the 96-98 Civic EX harness is the same as a B series engine harness?

Hey thanks alot guys for the help btw. I'm new to OBD2 and have alot of questions.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so how do ppl add wires but yet at the same time make the harness look so original. do they hook it directly to the ecu or what?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so pretty much the 96-98 Civic EX harness is the same as a B series engine harness?

Hey thanks alot guys for the help btw. I'm new to OBD2 and have alot of questions. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, minus the IAB's, the knock sensor, and a few other small things.

If you want it to look 100% stock in the engine bay you're going to NEED to get a DC2 OBD-IIa GSR Integra engine harness, no other way around it.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ahh ****, I forgot about that.

Yeah, the GSR has IAB's (secondary butterflies) - you'll have to wire them up as well..and yeah, you'll probably have to wire up the knock sensor too, the EX doesn't have one I don't think.

The only thing I could think of is go with an OBD-IIa DC2 GSR harness, that should have all the ****, but you might have to rewire some **** so it'll mate with your car's cabin harness...I don't know anything about harnesses except they're easy to rewire and worthless to swap. I can't be of anymore help in this thread....peace..</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think the ex does have a wire for the knock sensor but no on the iab's. cant use the dc2 teg harness if i recall since its a two piece deal or something. all i can say is check the sites i listed and google the **** out of it. obd2 is lousy though necessary for some *cough* emissions bound people* cough* oh and search for member builthatch. hes a mod on another forum im on and really helpful and he just did a b18c swap...
good luck man
Old 09-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok that works but what about the cabin harness side?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchnideas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think the ex does have a wire for the knock sensor but no on the iab's. cant use the dc2 teg harness if i recall since its a two piece deal or something. all i can say is check the sites i listed and google the **** out of it. obd2 is lousy though necessary for some *cough* emissions bound people* cough* oh and search for member builthatch. hes a mod on another forum im on and really helpful and he just did a b18c swap...
good luck man</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know, I thought the Y8 didn't have a knock sensor..? Dunno, oh well.

Yeah, as I said before, he might have to do some wiring **** to mate the two harnesses if they're not exactly plug 'n play but it's the only way to make it look "100% stock OEM."
Old 09-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats why its giving me a headache myself so im planning to just swap out the whole cabin harness.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes the 96-98 Ex harness is just like b series harness, also there is no seperate ecu harness, the engine harness goes through the firewall to the ecu (all three plugs) and the only thing you need to wire up is the secondary butterfy and crank sensor from three to two wires and then you can use an obd2a p72 ecu from a 96-99 gsr.

Quick Reply: civic EK Harness Question