Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Control Arm Bushings

Hey guys, planning on replacing my control arm bushings soon, but I'm wondering if anybody recomends that I replace any other bushings at the same time. Also I'm looking for people who have done this and have a rough Idea of how much it will hit me in the pocket. Thanks guys.
EDIT: I have decided am not going to do this myself, I am just gonna have my trusted mechanic do it. Anybody know how much it might cost? He aint answering his phone.

Modified by ShadyBAB at 5:03 PM 1/2/2006
Old 01-02-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Civic Control Arm Bushings (ShadyBAB)

no love? bump
Old 01-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude... do it yourself... trust me its pretty easy.

Invest in the ES master bushing kit. It will include every bushing except for rear trailer arms and motor mounts. The only thing that is a pain in the *** is getting the old bushing out. A torch, hack saw, flat head screw driver with a hammer should help you. If you need a press, it makes it easier.

Pop out the old metal sleeve. Cut, burn, scrap out the old bushing and make sure that the metal when done inside is free of burrs. Then loob up ur new bushing and pop it in. You dont need a press to get the new ones in. I did mine by hand. It takes some muscle but u dont have to be ******* superman to do it. The hardest part is getting the stock metal sleave out. The read is cake.

As far as a shop would charge you, they will probablly charge you by the hourly rate. Say it takes 15-20 minutes per bushing. 2 control arms with 3 bushings is bout 2 hours at most. And im being generous. I dunno how much ur shop charges, but i know my shop charges like 60 bucks per hour when a car is up on the lift for jobs like this. Thats like 120.00 you can save by doing it yourself.

And benifits to getting a full master bushing kit, you tighten up your intire car and it is extremely noticeible. But you can buy the bushings seperate.

Good Luck
Old 01-02-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Civic Control Arm Bushings (dohcdelsol)

Thanks man, Yeah I helped my buddy do his control arm bushings, I just didn't feel like going through that **** again. I have some extra cash from the holidays (after spending 600 on friends and family) and thought I'd treat myself to some new bushings, without having to do it myself. ANyways thanks man.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya know whats a really good idea that i started doing, i started obtaining used control arms, front and rear, and everything that needed replacement. Then after all the bushings were done in my spare arms and all, i just put them on my car and sold my old ones. Therefore my car was only out of commission for 1 day. Thats the easiest. And if you go to a junk yard, you can get em for cheap cause mostlikely the cars that are there still have their old arms cause they need it for towing and such.

Get what i mean??
Old 01-03-2006, 03:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya know whats a really good idea that i started doing, i started obtaining used control arms, front and rear, and everything that needed replacement. Then after all the bushings were done in my spare arms and all, i just put them on my car and sold my old ones. Therefore my car was only out of commission for 1 day. Thats the easiest. And if you go to a junk yard, you can get em for cheap cause mostlikely the cars that are there still have their old arms cause they need it for towing and such.

Get what i mean??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Word I'll check that out
Old 01-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya know whats a really good idea that i started doing, i started obtaining used control arms, front and rear, and everything that needed replacement. Then after all the bushings were done in my spare arms and all, i just put them on my car and sold my old ones. Therefore my car was only out of commission for 1 day. Thats the easiest. And if you go to a junk yard, you can get em for cheap cause mostlikely the cars that are there still have their old arms cause they need it for towing and such.

Get what i mean??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I did. I also had the arms bead blasted and then I painted them with VHT. Protects against rust and they look nifty.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Civic Control Arm Bushings (4door_demon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4door_demon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

SEXY
Old 01-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you making reference to the feet on the flip flops or the control arms.

I like those bushings. What brand are they and how much did you pay for them?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_in_LA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_in_LA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you making reference to the feet on the flip flops or the control arms.

I like those bushings. What brand are they and how much did you pay for them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Prothane or ES, cant remember for sure. I bought the individual bushings sets, not the master as I just needed the bushings for the front arms. maybe 30-50 bucks or so.

Sandls, gotta love Cali for some things.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:46 PM

Default Re: (4door_demon)

Is there ANYWHERE that sells a complete bushing kit that is NOT polyurethene? I have had really bad luck with urethene in the past...

squeeky squeeky

Sounds like you are humping on one of those cheap 30$/hour motel beds...
Old 01-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cuda70)

only spoon or mugen make full bushing sets in hard rubber, all other manufactures use polyurethane for there bushing sets.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:27 AM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: (IM ALL BOB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cuda70 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there ANYWHERE that sells a complete bushing kit that is NOT polyurethene? I have had really bad luck with urethene in the past...

squeeky squeeky

Sounds like you are humping on one of those cheap 30$/hour motel beds... </TD></TR></TABLE>

The Mugen bushing kit is somewhere between 4-600$. As long as you generously lube all the bushings you install, you shouldn't have a problem. I have actually seen people go as far as drilling holes and putting grease fittings in so they can make sure this isn't a problem.

I have been putting a bushing kit on my car for the last few months as I have time, and the only ones that squeak right now are the upper control arms, and thats only when its REALLY cold outside.

But as far as removing the old ones, I drill the bushings out so just the metal sleeve is left. Get a hacksaw in there and cut the sleeve and hammer it out with a flathead. Its a pain in the ***, but these things are in there... I've actually had better luck with doing it that way then on a press!

Good luck
Old 01-04-2006, 04:25 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

I too have never had squeaky bushings. I installed my ES polyurethane bushings like November 04' and they haven't squeaked yet. Seriously, lube them like you're getting ready for some IDB action and they'll be fine.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:09 AM

Very good explanation on doing the ES bushings... especially getting used control arm assemblies and working "backwards" as it were...

What was that type of paint again for the arms? Gotta look into that

and I have the same Rainbows...but in my closet in chilly OHIO
Old 01-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Control Arm Bushings (HatchNaPlan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchNaPlan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very good explanation on doing the ES bushings... especially getting used control arm assemblies and working "backwards" as it were...

What was that type of paint again for the arms? Gotta look into that

and I have the same Rainbows...but in my closet in chilly OHIO </TD></TR></TABLE>

VHT- satin black. 8 bucks a can from Summit Racing. Also did my new steering knuckles and my new trailing arms in VHT satin black. Looks alot better if you bead blast first though.

Rainbows own all.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Control Arm Bushings (4door_demon)

that does look nice...

juss wondering when you got ordered that bushing set from Energy Suspesion...

did you order the Front End Control Arm Bushing Set?

and those control arms are for a Civic Si Or Civic EX....

again great job
Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Control Arm Bushings (EL-Driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL-Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that does look nice...

juss wondering when you got ordered that bushing set from Energy Suspesion...

did you order the Front End Control Arm Bushing Set?

and those control arms are for a Civic Si Or Civic EX....

again great job</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are? Stupid question, but where would the swaybar endlinks attach at?

I ordered front lower control arm kit and the front shock kit(comes with the middle lower bushing) I found out the hard way it takes both kits to complete the whole control arm.