Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Chop top? Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chop top? Any ideas?

So I started gutting the inside of my 95 eg last night getting ready for paint, and it looks like someone tried to chop the top maybe? I don't know, anyone out there have any ideas?
http://img.photobucket.com/alb...7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/alb...2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/alb...c.jpg
So let's just say i'm not exactley thrilled.
Also, what are to original speaker mounts for the back? Mine are just mdf cutouts... \
http://img.photobucket.com/alb...6.jpg
Old 04-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I love to drive

Default Re: Chop top? Any ideas? (j_man104)

That looks more like someone replaced the original roof with the red one. I wouldn't want to drive in a car like that.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Chop top? Any ideas? (Ghetto Civic HX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ghetto Civic HX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That looks more like someone replaced the original roof with the red one. I wouldn't want to drive in a car like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2
Old 04-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chop top? Any ideas? (Ghetto Civic HX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ghetto Civic HX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That looks more like someone replaced the original roof with the red one. I wouldn't want to drive in a car like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i second that. When did you get the car? Would that be covered under your local Lemon Laws?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 AM

no it looks more like the car flipped over and smashed the roof in, so some idiot cut the top part of the car off and welded on the top part from another car
Old 04-10-2006, 09:17 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ZipTieGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZipTieGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no it looks more like the car flipped over and smashed the roof in, so some idiot cut the top part of the car off and welded on the top part from another car</TD></TR></TABLE>

Either way, that can't be good... when did you get the car? Did you run a carfax?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thats gotta get a little wet in the car wash are you sure that car is safe to drive is it a savlage title. be carefull
Old 04-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Somebody tried to pull a Fast and the Furious and duck under a tractor trailer, ripping the roof off.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AErrorist)

somebody was driving around in a convertible
Old 04-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that blows
Old 04-10-2006, 10:59 AM
AVA
Sláinte

Default Re: (banzai msg)

Thats ghetto as expletive
Old 04-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the hard way to add a sunroof!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Re: (^Jae)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ^Jae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats ghetto as expletive</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:17 PM

Yeah roof was replaced. As long as all the supports and body pannels are properly welded then I would not worry about a thing. May not have been a roll over could have been a tree branch or something. If the roof and the supports across the roof were severely damaged then that would be the only option. As long as all the windows and doors line up and seal properly without any leaks or excessive gaps , then the person did their measurements and probably completed the job properly as well. The whole car is a unibody structure and pieces are welded together. Hope this eases your mind a little.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Chop top? Any ideas? (PhillySolNhatch)

Yeah kinda hopin that wasn't the case. Hmm... no, clean title, no, no carfax, ended up getting the car for like 2k after much haggling.
Also the passenger door inside is red... haven't checked driver door yet though, will tonight.
Everything fits fine, save pass door sags due to break in.
It looks kinda like crappy welds anyway, think it's safe? I'm taking the car in for body work anyway, maybe have them chack it out same time, but my only option on this rock is going to have to be maaco.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd call the DMV and see what's up with the Lemon Laws in Hawaii, cuz that is not safe and they shouldn't have sold you that car without telling you that the original roof had been cut off! I would actually try to get rid of that thing ASAP!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:08 PM

People who post anything negative about it are just naive. It may or may not be good work but the only way to know is to go over it. If everything body wise lines up well, the windows dont leak and you dont here wind coming through them as if something isnt lining up properly then I wouldnt worry too much about it.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Chop top? Any ideas? (Ls_V_TurboSi)

I believe if you have had the car for more than a month I don't think you can take it back if you bought it as is, maybe even earlier. I could be totally wrong, I would check into that before it gets to late, hopefully that option is still available .
Old 04-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some people do this to add a sunroof to a car that previously did not have one. If done correctly then you should be ok. I personally don't like it and seeing as how you don't know why it was switched out I don't blame you for second guessing it.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (posite)

body shops do that sort of thin all the time. havent you ever seen quarter cuts?rocker panel cuts? if you dont know dont post.
i dont know about the structural integrity of that car but my shop does that stuff all the time. it doesnt look terible they should have covered the welds and used seam sealer but have a shop check it out
Old 04-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm.. im wondering, why he can't do that? i mean... yes, im aware that there are rule or law guiding this activity. but nonetheless, how about the hot rod?? u'll see so many chop-top roadsters, etc etc. if they can pass it, i believe honda can do also.... its just a matter of doing it right and properly.

correct me if im wrong here....
Old 04-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EF8IGHT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EF8IGHT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">body shops do that sort of thin all the time. havent you ever seen quarter cuts?rocker panel cuts? if you dont know dont post.
i dont know about the structural integrity of that car but my shop does that stuff all the time. it doesnt look terible they should have covered the welds and used seam sealer but have a shop check it out </TD></TR></TABLE>

Indeed, I got a tour of a body shop a buddy of my dad's owns. Things like this were the norm. As long as it's done right there really shouldn't be any problems.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:49 PM

lmao maybe the car rolled over and they put a new roof
Old 04-11-2006, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chop top? Any ideas? (TheOwnrOfTheEk9)

Yeah either way I think the car was in an accident of some kind. Whether it was a roll-over or a tree branch or what, I don't know. It looks like whoever fixed did a really nice job lining up everything perfectly, at least from the pictures that's what it looks like, I mean yeah the colors are screwy, but the welding looks good. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:31 AM

the welds look good and solid. Looks like it was done professionally only b/c of the locations of the cuts. I do body work if your wondering. Time is money, if the guy was payed flat rate, he gets payed for the job, not the time. So, if he gets paid for 5 hrs of work and gets it done in 3 more money in his pocket. I only say this b/c he probably figured the inside is covered by the interior. Not to say that he took a short cut on the quality of the work only b/c he is liable if structural integrity is at risk. The work looks like it was done properly. He just didn't grind the welds down. I would grind them down, prime and paint them only to prevent rust to make it look more appealing. Although, unless its contantly in contact with water like if it was the exterior your only getting surface rust. Again hope this eases your mind a little. If your really uneasy about any body shop would be able to look at and tell you if the supports are structurally sound.

Quick Reply: Chop top? Any ideas?