Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Chewing noise under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chewing noise under the hood

Just did my timing belt, and also the water pump while I was in there.
started right up, ran a little crappy at first (thought the timing was off) but it went right away. Then after I backed it out of the garage but before I took it down the road it began this chewing noise from the timing belt area....

First off the timing belt went in without a problem, I was a little unsure of the tension to go with..I just felt it out and tried to remember how tight the old one was (checked it before I took it apart) Then I realized the old tensioner had a bolt ring mark a little past dead center, exactly where the new one was...so I cant imagine it is the timing belt...The alternator belt I noticed was in real bad shape but since its Sunday I cant go run and get a new one...also before I pulled out of the driveway, I noticed the idle was "surging" between normal and 15-1800rpms when the clutch was pushed in...by the time I got around the block it had stopped doing this but the chewing noise was still thereIsnt the surging an alternator giveaway???Also after going down the road the car ran great but still had a little hiccup in the idle, it would drop a little and come back up, almost like the car was trying to adjust iself....Feeling like its an alternator issue..like I said I cant imagine its the timing belt but I cant really tell for sure. Oh and let me just say when you are in the cab you cant hear the noise, but it is clearly evident when you pop the hood. and other than that it ran excellent going down the road, even better than before I took it apart. You can tell as you take it through the rpm range..very smooth moreso than before...But the noise... If thats the timing belt why is it making this noise? Really just need a second opinion or some insight...Maybe even something to try to determine where it is actually coming from
Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chewing noise under the hood

Update...Just took it for another spin, ran great as before. I thought everything was all in my head because the noise was gone...then after about 10 minutes of driving the noise returned. You can only hear it at idle, then around 1100 or so it is the most noticeable.

Look at the pic, this piece I did not put back on the crank shaft. With it on the shaft there was no room for the pulley to accept the splines so I figured It was more or less of a shim and wasn't need. by the way I had a hell of a time getting the old pulley off and ended up breaking it trying to jam it with a 3/8" extension...So there is a different pulley on there now but it is supposed to be the same thing...
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

personally...Id pull the timing cover off from the top and check to see if your belt isn't being shredded to pieces

As per your diagram, that aint no "shim".... Id pull it apart and look around---
Old 03-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The diagram is actually for something else, but same concept, "for reference only" the "shim" looks the same...What exactly is this? And why wasnt I able to put it on before the pulley??
Edit: @redm3turbo In the meantime Im gonna take the top cover off and see whats up......Anything else to look for?? The noise is definitely coming from that general area..Ive been thinking about it all morning, cant imagine why the belt would be shredding apart
Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does that "shim" washer thing go on the inside or the outside of the timing belt cover
Old 03-12-2012, 04:02 AM
R.I.P. Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 77chev7777
does that "shim" washer thing go on the inside or the outside of the timing belt cover
its not a shim
as per the pic one per side of pulley MUST BE THERE

its a guide for the timming belt
if you look at it it has a raised ring on one side and the edge flares a bit
the raised side goes towards the toothed pulley on both sides ...ie there or to guide rings

if you didnt put this on your belt will rub against the cover or slide of the back of the pulley and rub all kinds of things ..water pump block ect
Old 03-12-2012, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So there's my problem right??And yeah it actually sounds like something rubbing against plastic, i.e. the timing cover...
its a guide for the timming belt
if you look at it it has a raised ring on one side and the edge flares a bit
the raised side goes towards the toothed pulley on both sides ...ie there or to guide rings
Could you reiterate please? I did notice the raised "bead" that goes around the ring...This raised bead faces in towards the motor or out away from the motor?

Also one last thing..Obviously im gonna check the belt for wear but Its brand new so if nothing looks majorly destroyed or worn down would you say its safe to stay on there?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 77chev7777
Look at the pic, this piece I did not put back on the crank shaft. With it on the shaft there was no room for the pulley to accept the splines so I figured It was more or less of a shim and wasn't need. by the way I had a hell of a time getting the old pulley off and ended up breaking it trying to jam it with a 3/8" extension...So there is a different pulley on there now but it is supposed to be the same thing...
This is your problem. Mis-assembly.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:39 AM
R.I.P. Mark

raised bead goes to center of toothed pulley if you look at it side on you can see the edges of both guides flare away from the pulley center
just like in this pic but a washer on each side you can see to raised are and the flared edge
Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 AM
R.I.P. Mark

re the belt any sign of damage
I MEAN ANY ....GET A NEW BELT
or you will get a new motor very soon
Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So the timing belt guide just sits on the shaft over the timing belt, then put the cover on? Is there any seal the goes in that cover hole? Someone confirm please
Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You MUST provide all pertinent information about your car and engine. Failure to do so may result in thread closure.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, 94 del Sol 1.5 D15B7 Manual, non ps, no ac
I think I got it...took it all apart and put that guide on there. Btw it looked like it had been rubbing against the timing cover. No sweat the second time around just sux I had to take it all apart again...That and red loctite works damn good. Needed a pulley puller this time around, used a "timing gear puller" from OEM tools (the rental ones at VIP) I believe it is for the cam gears but it worked well, and it does clear. (FYI for those of you I saw on this site were having this issue)
Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 PM
R.I.P. Mark

happy you got it sorted
is it all running good now ?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, runs killer! You can actually feel a slight power band now (also did new plugs and fuel filter) Im taking it tomorrow....I drive 100 miles every day so that will be the definitive test but at this point Im not worried at all. Thanks for all the help