Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Check out these plugs, what do you think this engine has been through??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out these plugs, what do you think this engine has been through??

I picked up this d16z6 swap a few days ago so I can rebuild it and throw it in an EF that I have yet to buy... I am going to rebuild the engine first, and then start looking for a car to put it in.

Anyways. They guy I bought the engine from told me that it ran fine when he pulled it out and that it was in good shape.

Well, I started taking it apart and check out what the plugs looked like when I pulled them...

LoL.

There's no way in hell this thing ran well! Check out #1 plug, the ground strap looks like it heated up enough to bend it back! It's totally toast!

I bet this guy was spraying on this engine, and I wouldn't be surprised if I pulled a few broken pistons out of it.

Anyways, I was planning a rebuild but I just hope that the head and sleeves are fine, I have a spare block that is mint if the block is messed up.

So, what do you think this engine has been through after seeing the plugs? Nitrous? Boost? And what would cause the #3 plug to be so oily?

It should be interesting next weekend when I pull the head
Old 08-29-2005, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: Check out these plugs, what do you think this engine has been through?? (EJ1 wilcox)

It looks like the engine was ran hard and the pistion rings are shot
Old 08-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Check out these plugs, what do you think this engine has been through?? (MugenHonda)

Looks like boosting + poor/lack of tuning

Now you and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block and replace the pistons rings he fried.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check out these plugs, what do you think this engine has been through?? (shamoo)

The pics aren't loading for me, but an oily plug would indicate bad rings to me.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Check out these plugs, what do you think this engine has been through?? (Ricey McRicerton)

damn thats some serious blowby
Old 08-29-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Check out these plugs, what do you think this engine has been through?? (THEROPE)

lol, thats messed up, all the gaps are different, that 2nd one looks like he threw it into a bowl of syrup, damn, you sure that **** ran?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check out these plugs, what do you think this engine has been through?? (TurboFart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboFart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, thats messed up, all the gaps are different, that 2nd one looks like he threw it into a bowl of syrup, damn, you sure that **** ran?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I'm not sure it ran, in fact I'm almost positive that it didn't run after seeing these plugs.

You can't really tell from the pictures but the electrode on the #1 plug is completely gone!

The oil on these plugs wouldn't necessarily indicate blowby I don't think. The oil is above the threads, not below, which I think would indicate that it needs new spark plug tube seals. It looks to me like the oil was coming from above the threads in the head, not through the cylinders.

Looks like I will be ordering a lot of parts for this engine.

Hey, on a lighter note, can I put DOHC ZC pistons in this thing? I might as well put some higher CR pistons in there if I'm going to rebuild it anyways.

Anyone have any links to good threads about DOHC ZC pistons into a d16z6?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Check out these plugs, what do you think this engine has been through?? (EJ1 wilcox)

i do see what you are saying about the oil above the threads which could mean the head, could be a tube leak. (its almost 100% that)

but the way the plugs look on the bottom looks like to me that there was some blowby and and the way that plud #1 looks maybe some predetination
Old 08-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't see evidence of boost or fried piston rings. Maybe it's just the low quality pic and I'm missing something but i've see worse coming from stock engines that went way too long without a tune up. No detonation that I can see. Looks like the valve cover gaskets need work.