Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Check engine/ rough idle help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine/ rough idle help!

So I was cruising down the freeway today and it had started to sprinkle some rain. I had never had problems with hydrolocking before even in some nasty storms (I removed the resonator off the D16 so there's just a tube).

The check engine light goes on all of a sudden, but the car was driving fine so I figured I'd just get to where I was going and check it out.

I get onto the in roads at low speeds and the car starts chugging with some rough/ low idle. Kinda like how when you're out of gas and the car starts to die. It doesn't die however but just kinda bogs there like it's about to die.

I shut it off, and check under the hood. There is a slight burning smell and I notice a little puddle of water (less than the size of my palm) right under the opening of the intake tube resting on the engine bay. Checked the oil, and although the color looked alright the tissue I was using absorbed it rather easily.... hmm. Also checked the intake filter but it was dry and looked normal.

So an hour later I decided to start it again, and it started, but still rough. At higher speeds it gets smooth again, but then a ticking from the engine started to develop, and then another seperate ticking noise a few minutes later that only occurs when gassing. But it was still driveable at highway speeds though, like normal.

By the time I get home, it's rougher than before and reverse is extremely boggy. The burning smell is more pronounced as well.

Could I possibly have gotten water in my engine? What should I do now??

This is a 96 civic hatch w/ a d16 auto btw.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Check engine/ rough idle help! (jmai86)

yeh i believe so buddy..water has gotten in ur engine or mayb u have a burning prob...my car had the same idle prob..espeically when i reverse...that was because i had a blowd head gasket....but in ur case..i believe it water...
Old 01-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i thought it was just sprinkling though?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedjdmdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedjdmdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i thought it was just sprinkling though?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but somehow a little bit of it managed to find its way into the bay, cus there was that little bit of water sitting right next to the intake opening. And I've driven it through some pretty serious storms before too!

So it's probably water.. what should be the next action? Is the engine save-able?

Thanks for the help guys