Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Check engine light shows IACV! plz help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light shows IACV! plz help!!!

okay guys i have had my car for about 3 years.... stock 95 civic d15b7... always has had the Check engine light (CEL) on this whole time.... got the motor turbod, chipped ecu, wideband tuned.... the CEL still on... soo i got tired of it and went to one of my buddies that loves to turn off the Check engine lights... (wierd but helps). anyways he got all engine codes of besides IACV which is Idle Control Valve. My car does do that waaa...waaa..waaa sound bouncing on the rpms from 1,200 rpm to like 800 rpm and then it calms down and then again it starts... does it when it is warm only....

well here is the thing, i changed the IACV 2 times already and same thing... some people tell me its normal that its cause i have bigger injectors (which i have 450's), some peeps tell me its the chipped computer, some tell me i need to get a Brand new one.... and last they tell me that i might not be getting power to through the Sensor plug.... what u guys think??? let me know thans
Old 10-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check engine light shows IACV! plz help!!! (honda.lioness)

bro u are the greatest thank you!!!! i will do that and let u guys know what happens THANKS
Old 10-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check engine light shows IACV! plz help!!! (rjmancia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda.lioness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Air in the cooling system can result in improper cooling of the IACV. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and if u changed the IACV 2 times already it adds to the possibility of air in the system?
im such a noob i dont know if your engine has carbs or Fi. i had a similar idle problem on my carb'd d13 and a handy way to check if your IACV is closing properly is to block the IACV feed pipe inside the air filter housing with your finger (when the engine is warm) i did this and the engine idled perfect. my problem was a tiny piece of rubber after getting sucked into the valve and jamming it open.
if the sealing rubbers on your stock filter housing are disintegrating, or you're running an intake with rubber components that are subject to vibration, this is more likely. or if not, and you've changed the valve twice, maybe its not getting the right signal voltage to close?
all noob thoughts of course!

EDIT: afaik my IACV was not cooled by the cooling system??? (on a '95 JDM d13 civic EL) and i read at the time that the later model ones are??

Modified by kneeslide at 7:36 PM 10/5/2008
Old 10-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check engine light shows IACV! plz help!!! (kneeslide)

cool bro sweeet..... thanks for the help guys ill keep u updated on what the hell is up with this thing lol!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay guys i did all those troubleshootings and none worked!... damn i dont know what the hell it is!!! all i can think of is that its not getting the power it needs or i just need to buy a brand spankin new one.....
Old 10-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rjmancia)

or get a manual! theres a full trouble shoot for the valve and its wiring back to the ECU! so your saying ur buddy tried to reset the CEL and it keeps showing IACV/EACV (which the manual says is code 14) whats that like, 1 long flash and four short ones or something?
if yes then, with the engine runnng, remove the 2-pin connector from the EACV and measure the voltage between the yellow/black wire and the car body ground, is there battery voltage? if not, theres an open circuit in that wire from the main relay (wherever that is) if yes then its either ur EACV or ur ECU is knackered, theres further steps to check that
Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kneeslide)

You are probably right.... ill have to check the current to see thanks!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would air in the cooling system.... turn the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT on???