Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Check engine light after installing intake, searched forever and havent found any anwsers please hel

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light after installing intake, searched forever and havent found any anwsers please hel

Ok i have a 96 Honda civic ex, i recently installed a short ram intake, ever since then my check engine light has been on and its really annoying. My guess for the light being on is that i cant get the sensor to stay in the extra hole in the intake and sense. when i put the regular air filter and hose back on its fine and teh light goes off. How can i keep the intake on and have the sensor fitting AND working at the same time so the check engine light goes off. i have searched endlessly and havent gotten any anwswers. i have already tried disconnecting the battery and reseting the ecu. Can anybody please help?!
Old 08-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check engine light after installing intake, searched forever and havent found any anwsers please

the intake was not designed for an OBD2 intake, its cheap and you need something designed with that sensor in mind and not something on ebay, AEM, INJEN, atleast something name brand.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Check engine light after installing intake, searched forever and havent found any anwsers please

My ebay intake came with the whole for the sensor. I hear you can just drill a hole and put a rubber (I dunno what its called) thingy in there to hold the sensor in place?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic4less &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My ebay intake came with the whole for the sensor. I hear you can just drill a hole and put a rubber (I dunno what its called) thingy in there to hold the sensor in place?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The rubber thingy is called a grommet.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:45 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mwsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The rubber thingy is called a grommet. </TD></TR></TABLE>LMFAO, when all else fails it's a thingy.. Good **** here..
Old 08-19-2005, 10:00 PM

AFTERMARKET INTAKE ARE A BE-ATCH! YOU PROBABLY FRIED YOUR AIR SENSOR. THATS WHAT I DID. IF NOT, IN THE SMALL TINY HOLE YOU SAID YOU ARE TRYING TO PLACE YOUR AIR SENSOR IN, THAT IS FOR THE OIL LINE LEADING INTO THE INTAKE. FOR AIR AND OIL MIXTURE. I TOOK MY WHOLE AIR MASS SENSOR OFF. IT ACTUALLY DOESNT REALLY HELP AT ALL IF YOU HAVE A SHORT RAM IN. I WOULD TELL YOU TO BUY A COLD AIR THOUGH IF YOU HAVE ANY TYPE OF OPEN AIR FILTER. THIS WILL IMPROVE H.P. AND BETTER GAS MILAGE. BUT MAKE SURE TO BUY A BY PASS VALVE. OTHER WISE, YOU WILL BE FRYING YOUR PISTON FROM WATER BEING SUCK IN FROM UNDER NEATH THE CHASIS.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:40 PM
H-T White Ops

^^^^^^
Wow. That has got to be the most mis informed response ever.
Let's see.......

Sensor's not fried because the CEL goes away when he puts his stock air box back on.

The oil line you're talking about is there to relieve the pressure under the valve cover. Even with the cheapest of aftermarket intakes these go to a fitting on the new intake, not a hole.

Hondas don't have mass air (or as you called it a air mass) sensor. They run off MAP sensors. The sensor in question needs to be there otherwise you get a CEL like the OP is getting.

Cold air intakes don't automatically hydrolock engines. Actually you have to drive through a pretty decent sized puddle to actually hydrolock your engine. Just driving in the rain (even with no wheel well liner) won't do ****. Trust me, I've done it.

Anyway, to the OP......what you could do is like somebody above already suggested. Buy a rubber grommet to go in that hole and make that sensor fit nice and snug. A dab of silicone could also do the trick. Just make sure you don't plug the sensor up while you do it.