Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cheap vs. Expensive

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap vs. Expensive

Ok, I can understand for some parts why expensive would be better than cheap, but for things like headers, CAI, ipe-based items, why pay so much for like an AEM? It's only piping, it's not like AEM has *magical pipes* which are better than others. And I know there isnt anything inside the pipe, so why pay so much for.. a pipe? Just wondering never understood why AEM CAI were so outrageouly expensive. I don't wanna get flamed, just a simple explanation would do.

Thanks
Dan
Old 06-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Cheap vs. Expensive (turbotime)

because they are tested specifcally for that engine.

Anyone can make piping that will fit a car and throw a filter on the end, but who's to say there will be gains???

It's called Research and Developement
Old 06-18-2003, 09:00 PM

AEM unlike other companys have a carb E.O.# (smog) the cheaper intakes dont.. Thats one of the reasons its more $$$
Old 06-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cheap vs. Expensive (hndarcrb18c1)

both good points, but if they are designed specifically for certain cars, then why do they look exactly (i mean exactly inch for inch) like other CAI made for the same cars. I could see if AEM's looked different or had some other features, but for instance i got me a RActive CAI (I know it aint the best company) but hey it is a replica of the AEM intake minus the logo. Just seems like the whole nike thing, brand name adds $$$. Except for the E.O.# I still don't see a difference.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt call it magical piping but AEM does have another tube inside of its intake. the New AEM v2 for SOHC in a eg has another tube for better air flow. i ordered the intake 4 months ago and i just got it about a month and a half ago and it was well worth the wait.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:21 PM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">both good points, but if they are designed specifically for certain cars, then why do they look exactly (i mean exactly inch for inch) like other CAI made for the same cars. I could see if AEM's looked different or had some other features, but for instance i got me a RActive CAI (I know it aint the best company) but hey it is a replica of the AEM intake minus the logo. Just seems like the whole nike thing, brand name adds $$$. Except for the E.O.# I still don't see a difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was cheaper because AEM did the hard work firguring out the best possible design.

With all that money spent on dyno tuning, testing, etc, they can't just sell them for 40 bucks shipped.

I mean, look at DVD players for example. The first ones to come out years ago, were CRAZY expensive. Not very many companies knew how to make them. So, they looked to Sony for example, and saw how they were made. Then, they got the parts from CHina for cheap and assembled them. Now, a DVD player can run you 50 bucks, when a few years ago, people were spending 300 easily
Old 06-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotcha, so a cheap intake inst exactly worse than AEM, but AEM deserves its high price becuase they did do the work . I would still go cheap, but props to AEM for the R&D
Old 06-18-2003, 09:33 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gotcha, so a cheap intake inst exactly worse than AEM, but AEM deserves its high price becuase they did do the work . I would still go cheap, but props to AEM for the R&D </TD></TR></TABLE>

pretty much. Plus they got our backs, instead of just in it for making money.

Plus about the CARB legal BS
Old 06-18-2003, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Prices are so expensive because there simply isn't enough decent competition in the import market. Look at prices for aftermarket domestic parts and then look at the price of the same part of an aftermarket import part.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:00 PM

Default Re: (kommon_sense)

AEM intakes (and other more "brand name" intakes) generally come with better filters also.

*shrug* Just another reason.

When you're looking at headers and exhausts, then real reasons start to come into play. Header designs are not universal among brands, and there clearly are many different levels of quality/performance. (Something interesting: competition in this market is finally driving the price of a good header down. Two years ago you wouldn't be able to buy a $500 AN-R or a $700 SMSP.) In exhausts, the type of construction (stainless vs. aluminized piping), the quality of the muffler, and the type and quality of the resonators all determine the different pricing.

Cheap isn't necessarily bad; eBay intakes are not that much worse than a proven part. The cost/performance ratio also needs to be taken into consideration. If you pay $40 for a CAI that makes 1-2hp less than a $200 AEM, I'd say that $40 was money well spent. However, if you're paying $200 for a header that makes 10-20whp less than a $600 header...well, we all buy what we can afford but one must look at all the details
Old 06-18-2003, 10:26 PM

Default Re: (delsolguy)

You also have to think about the reason why Cheaper look alike can sell for cheap is because they are copying AEM's design. Look at why Rotas are cheaper than real spoon or volks rims, because it was copied and they save the R&D $ etc etc..
Old 06-18-2003, 11:01 PM

Default Re: (bluesaint)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bluesaint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Look at why Rotas are cheaper than real spoon or volks rims, because it was copied and they save the R&D $ etc etc..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't mean to split hairs here, but Rotas and such are also cheaper because they are not forged
Old 06-18-2003, 11:25 PM

Default Re: (delsolguy)

delsolguy, not flaming or arguing, but depending on the original, all Advan's are cast and not forged either. And Spoon Sw388 according to the japanese site, its not forged either
Old 06-19-2003, 12:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bluesaint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">delsolguy, not flaming or arguing, but depending on the original, all Advan's are cast and not forged either. And Spoon Sw388 according to the japanese site, its not forged either </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point about Advan

Is Spoon cast-magnesium then, like the RNR? I was always under the impression that it was forged.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:13 AM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bluesaint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">delsolguy, not flaming or arguing, but depending on the original, all Advan's are cast and not forged either. And Spoon Sw388 according to the japanese site, its not forged either </TD></TR></TABLE>

SW88's are forged.
JUst because both are cast does not mean they are of the same strength.

Even some of the older wheels that ARE indeed cast, serve very well at cooling the brakes as they were designed to be.

When comparing Rotas to whatever, just compare C-8's to MF8's...easiest and most obvious comparison.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:24 AM

Not sure, but I always thought they had some sort of special coating on the piping to reduce the piping from absorbing heat or something like that.